• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 05:00:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 195
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 168
Total: 169

Blacks spawn

Started by Mugwump, February 04, 2013, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatanka

Good news on the blacks! Wishing continued luck with them.  And interesting info on the tetra min and ethoxyquin.

PaulineMi

Interesting theory.  "Food" for thought.   ::)

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on February 06, 2013, 10:45:29 AM
This is my Tetra Min theory.

Ethoxyquin is used as an antioxidant to prevent rust on apple skins and other fruits. Most likely the dog food manufacturers used Ethoxyquin to keep the fat and oils on the surface of dog foods from being prone to bacteria and oxidizing as well. It seems to control those bugs etc that eat high quality fats. To entice a dog to eat dog food they cover it in oils and fats to stimulate the dogs tastes capacity.

In an angelfish egg we have a concentration of high quality fats. It may be possible that this nutrition source is under attack while within the female and being stored in the eggs. It certainly is defenseless once laid upon a slate. It is my thought that the ethoxyquin is dosed into the fats by being present in the diet of the fish. This creates and egg fat that contains ethoxyquin. I think the ethoxyquin holds off bacteria and other items off of the fat even into the fry stage and until the fats are completely absorbed.

If the product is removed from the Tetra Min I would seek another anti oxidant to add to my food.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Still looking pretty good, they're 'balling' up and there's a lot of pale ones...last spawn was mostly blacks and black blushing..this looks like a better mix of the golds ans Sunsets....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jdmcfast

Very interesting! So is there Ethoxyquin in all of the tetramin line of foods? I really like the tetramin pro
Josh

Jdmcfast

Quote from: Jdmcfast on February 07, 2013, 11:15:50 AM
Very interesting! So is there Ethoxyquin in all of the tetramin line of foods? I really like the tetramin pro
http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=5
I guess this answers my own question lol, but raises the question "why the better results from tetramin?"
Josh

Frank The Plumber

Because of oxygen. While you may think that oxygen is really great stuff because you need it to breathe and live, the truth is that oxygen is thee most evil schtuff in the known universe. This is because of the reactive properties of oxygen. Oxygen reacts with almost every thing. This reaction is called oxidation. Oxidation is in essence, burning. When we breathe in oxygen we use it to burn our fuel and break down compounds to free nutrients, we partner with micro organisms within us that break items down to free nutrients. If we study ourselves we are but a colony of cells, each cell requiring oxygen to free up compounds from the mix. This oxygen also oxidizes us. Oxygen is why any thing man ever makes will break down. Each item that oxygen reacts upon has a different nobility against the reaction process that breaks it's compounds down using oxygen. In the case of fats, which is the base topic here, they are of a chemical composition that makes them vulnerable to bacterium that will break them down and oxygen which will oxidize them chemically. These fats are the essential trigger mechanism used to inform a dog, cat hog or fish that the item they are eating is worthy of their time to consume. A dog cat or fish may taste this surface fat concentration which makes it taste good, as it does in us. Without this surface fat we would use another prone to oxidation nutrient complex, sugar, which can also be easily tasted. Chemically fat and sugar are very similar. There are various types of both fats and sugars that have different characteristics. High complexity fats and high complexity sugars require more metabiollic energy to beak down, they also produce more residual contaminants than simple forms of these nutrients. The more simple, the more prone to ready oxidation. A very high quality grade of olive oil is very prone to fogging if it is left unprotected, this fogging is the reaction of the lipids (fats) oxidizing. Once oxidized the quality of the nutrient is diminished. The taste can be severely affected as well. By placing a coating of either a bacteria blocker or a coating of a product that resists oxidation we can buy more time for the fats to be stored in containers. Of course, since this product resists oxidation it can cause issues when ingested in too great a quantity as the entire process of food consumption relies upon oxidation. It is a tricky balancing act between enough to protect the fat and too much which will cause this product to concentrate and become a possible carcinogen. It is possible that any thing that does not oxidize is capable of being a carcinogen as the cells have no efficient way to displace them from the colony of organisms.

This all produces a real catch 22, How to preserve the fats and sugars without ruining them chemically?
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Zounds!!!!!!..that was a mouthful, Frank.....good post, very interesting....thanx....some things we all know, but put in different context gets your point across very well... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

you guy's are starting to get over my head here. lol

shatanka

SO...if I breathe in more oxygen, will I lose more fat? lol  Sorry, I had to throw that out there...it just got me thinking..look out! lol That's a dangerous area for me! 
Frank, you do have an incredible mind. Wish my brain could think like yours! Very interesting information here!

Mugwump

Quote from: shatanka on February 07, 2013, 07:00:23 PM
SO...if I breathe in more oxygen, will I lose more fat? lol  Sorry, I had to throw that out there...it just got me thinking..look out! lol That's a dangerous area for me! 
Frank, you do have an incredible mind. Wish my brain could think like yours! Very interesting information here!

SSsssshhhhh....don't let him know..... ;D
Jon

shatanka

HA HA....I already have! lol  What will happen ? lol  ha ha
You guys just crack me up! lol

PaulineMi

Quote from: shatanka on February 07, 2013, 07:00:23 PM

We'll all be walking around with oxygen tanks if that's all it takes.  Ha....  I'm old enough; it would look like a medical necessity.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

shatanka

OMG...LMAO  YOU ARE HILARIOUS!  lol....I am just dyin' here ...and haven't even had a beer or anything to drink! lol 
sorry Mug..back to the black's spawn now...

Mugwump

We have lift off.....there's Blacks, black blushing, gold, gold blushing(Sunsets)...

Jon

Frank The Plumber

That's a nice looking group.

My wife would like everyone to know...I have the exhaust part of the concept well taken care of....he he he.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?