• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 189
Total: 189

Blacks spawn

Started by Mugwump, February 04, 2013, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Eggs pulled, and doing well, wigglers due tomorrow..I finally have some grow out space.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Things are getting busy in the fishroom.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 04, 2013, 07:43:12 PM
Things are getting busy in the fishroom.

Yes'm....changing out the Santa Isabel's pair tank water tomorrow.... ;D....50/50 too
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Blacks have wigglers.... ;D..so far so good, this pair's spawns can be persnickity...
Jon

ilroost

Nice!! I think out of all the angels i like the blacks the best

Mugwump

It's an older pair now, I picked these up from Frank at a GreenWater swap a year or so ago. They're off Steve Rybicki's stock, and carry a streaked/stripeless and a gold..they're both ,also, veils....so they throw Blacks/Black blusher/Golds/ Sunsets...in veil and super veil... ;D..the spawns are hit and miss sometimes, but I've been feeding them Tetramin and bloodworms....looks decent so far.....Josh has some of their fry...when the batches are good, they're very pretty angels..
Jon

Frank The Plumber

Tetra Min. It really does make a huge difference on my angels. I have used $20 per pound stuff and the fry just don't do well. If I use Tetra min it's like magic. It's the ethoxyquin.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

PaulineMi

Frank I'm curious about the ethoxyquin connection.  There had been all kinds of rumors and much controversy about its use in dogfood. It was cosidered the evil of all evils. Then there were many posts on the angelfish board about Tetramin and ethoxyquin being almost a miracle food.  :o

Ethoxyquin is a preservative and a pesticide.I've tried to find info on its use as anything else but was unsuccessful.  I did find this http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35089. At the bottom of the page it seems to suggest it produced mortality in fish.  (Not sure if its was studied at 50000 times normal dose.   ;))

So I'm stuck on trying to figure out what makes ethoxyquin work its magic in aquarium fish.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Seems pretty straight forward to me.....

QuoteMany pet food manufacturers use ethoxyquin because of it's excellent anti-oxidant qualities, high stability and reputed safety.  However, an ongoing controversy surrounds issues related to its safety when repeatedly fed at permitted amounts in dog foods, particularly when fed to genetically susceptible breeds of inbred or closely linebred dogs.  Toy breeds may be particularly at risk because they ingest proportionately more food and preservative for their size in order to sustain their energy needs.

Here's the entire article  ==>> http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/Ethoxyquin.htm

Dennis

PaulineMi

Dr. Dodds has been a pioneer in all things beneficial to dogs including the problems related to  annual vaccinations. She is a proponent of taking blood titers rather than annually vaccinating them and doing fewer "puppy shots".  Ethoxyquin has been removed from most if not all dogfoods several years ago.

Dennis your link and many, many others like it is what made me go out to see how fish would benefit from ethoxyquin. Usually fish and invertebrates are more sensitive to the negative effects of pesticides. Many angelfish people swear by ethoxyquin's positive effects on fertility rates and fry survival. I'm stumped on this one because it seems that this product hasn't been thoroughly tested on aquatic life. Or least I couldn't find much on the web.

BallAquatics

Not being very scientific, but off the top of my head I'd say any benefits are probably due to the fact that it is an anti-oxidant.

"...pet food manufacturers use ethoxyquin because of it's excellent anti-oxidant qualities..."

QuoteAntioxidants are substances that may protect your cells against the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are molecules produced when your body breaks down food, or by environmental exposures like tobacco smoke and radiation. Free radicals can damage cells, and may play a role in heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

Dennis

Mugwump

Blew them off the slate this morning...big water change and all good... ;D
Jon

Frank The Plumber

This is my Tetra Min theory.

Ethoxyquin is used as an antioxidant to prevent rust on apple skins and other fruits. Most likely the dog food manufacturers used Ethoxyquin to keep the fat and oils on the surface of dog foods from being prone to bacteria and oxidizing as well. It seems to control those bugs etc that eat high quality fats. To entice a dog to eat dog food they cover it in oils and fats to stimulate the dogs tastes capacity.

In an angelfish egg we have a concentration of high quality fats. It may be possible that this nutrition source is under attack while within the female and being stored in the eggs. It certainly is defenseless once laid upon a slate. It is my thought that the ethoxyquin is dosed into the fats by being present in the diet of the fish. This creates and egg fat that contains ethoxyquin. I think the ethoxyquin holds off bacteria and other items off of the fat even into the fry stage and until the fats are completely absorbed.

If the product is removed from the Tetra Min I would seek another anti oxidant to add to my food.

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on February 06, 2013, 10:38:10 AM

That's great news.  Continued good luck with them.

Sorry we hijacked your thread.

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 06, 2013, 10:49:52 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 06, 2013, 10:38:10 AM

That's great news.  Continued good luck with them.

Sorry we hijacked your thread.

No sweat, knowledge is what we strive for.....it's all very interesting, theory, example, discussion...good food for the cells... ;D
Jon