• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 08:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 285
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 311
Total: 311

Any rainbowfish experts here

Started by sschind, November 04, 2015, 04:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sschind

Bruce at Broad Street pets in Lake Geneva just got in a bunch of featherfin rainbows and mixed in were several individuals of some other dwarf rainbow species.  At least he said he thought they were rainbows.  They were awesome looking fish but I can't get a decent picture.  Does anyone know of a good website with lots of rainbowfish pictures.  Most of what I get when I google it are the red irians and bosemanis.

I just did a little more searching and the closest I can come is a species of Psaudomugil but the fins are not nearly as elaborate as most of the flashing males shown in the pictures.  Could be females I suppose but if they are they are beautiful females.

This looks close 

but the back edge of the anal and dorsal fins are black.  Could just be older specimens but this one is listed as P reticulatus which they say is rare.

Any help would be appreciated.  The downside to all this is now that I have looked at dozens and dozens of pictures of blue eyes I kinda want some.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

LizStreithorst

I'm sure they can help you out here.  There's a section on identification.  http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/index.php?sid=e68ee2c91b576a5df2a101b852076f1f
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Ron Sower

Google Gary Lange Rainbow Fish and see if you can get him to help you. He's quite an expert and has spoken to our club several times. Good man to know for rainbows.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

sschind

Thanks for the tips.  I've checked the two websites Liz and Bill mentioned.  Didn't find any pictures and I haven't posted yet because I still don't have a decent picture.

Captain Bob gave me the same information on Gary Lange ROn so thanks.

I was at the shop today but I forgot to look at them again.  I was too busy looking at the nice stuff he got from the AE this weekend.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on November 10, 2015, 09:10:32 PM
Thanks for the tips.  I've checked the two websites Liz and Bill mentioned.  Didn't find any pictures and I haven't posted yet because I still don't have a decent picture.

Captain Bob gave me the same information on Gary Lange ROn so thanks.

I was at the shop today but I forgot to look at them again.  I was too busy looking at the nice stuff he got from the AE this weekend.

Jim Nowobielski has rainbows....he just got some from Gary at the AE too....he'll have a swap table Sunday..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Try googling "blue eyed rainbowfish". Go into "Google images" from there. I used to have various tiny guys like the ones that are shown. Awesome little fish.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

sschind

It turns out they may not be blue eyes at all.  Further searching turned up these guys

which look very similar to what he has.  Sources say they can get to be 4+ inches and the ones he has are probably about an inch or so so they are not quite as colorful but they are still beautiful fish.  I'm so tempted.
Steve Schindler

HB

LizStreithorst

Go for it.  Go for it.  Go for it.  Beautiful fish and it grows to 4"!  I would do it myself but I can't make myself take the plunge.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Great....when you get them, post a pic of them, if you get a chance... most phones take decent pics,,,
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

sschind

I can't really afford it and I don't have any tanks but I am working for him on Saturday so he can watch his son play in the TCYFL Super Bowl so maybe I'll take the fish as partial payment.  Looks like he has 4 males but from what I have read they have never been bred in captivity anyway so I  probably succeed anyway.
Steve Schindler

HB

PaulineMi

What species did that turn out to be? It looks similar to a killifish type so it has me wondering about what this mystery rainbow fish could be.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

sschind

closest picture I could find was the Australian empire gudgeon (Hypseleotris compressa) but unless Apet is getting shipments from southern New Guinea I don't see how its possible as Australia never lets anything out and this species is yet to be bred in captivity from what I understand.

I just found this today

labeled as a Katherine River Gudgeon, Hypseleotris barrawayi and it looks much closer but it seems to have an even more limited range and is endemic to Australia.  Of course when I searched for more pictures of the KRG they looked nothing like this one.

I may have to buy these things after all, this is driving me crazy.
Steve Schindler

HB

PaulineMi

A school of those guys would look really nice.  |^|