• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 125
Total: 126

Not a diy thing. Just need opinions,

Started by LizStreithorst, October 31, 2015, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It keeps taking me longer and longer to do WC.  The problem is with the pump that sucks the water out.  I have the same pump that adds water to the tanks.  It is doing just fine.

I'll admit, since I am no longer totally BB I suck up a bit of gravel, and some floating plants that have decided to sink, and the occasional young juvie that isn't smart enough to keep away from the suction.. But I clean the crap from the impeller all the time.  I thought that the drain line might be clogged so I blew it out with with the water hose.  That was not the problem.

Unless one of you can give me a hint of what might be wrong I will have to call Aquatic Ecosystems, the folks I buy my water pumps from.  They are not as kind as the folks at Jhemco but if I get the right guy he will tell me what is wrong.  I'll call them Monday and ask to speak to the water pump wizard.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Try taking the impeller/magnet assembly completely out. There maybe some debris around/behind the magnet/axel parts.

Also if you are pumping water up (WRT the tank water level) you will be working against that much water pressure. Pumping to a lower level will add that water pressure difference to the pump of the pump instead of opposing it.

LizStreithorst

I haven't broken the pump entirely down in a long time.  I will do it tomorrow.  I know about lower level tanks draining more slowly that tanks up high.  It's just the way it is. 

Thank you much for your advice, Bill.

BallAquatics

Same size plumbing on the discharge?

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 01, 2015, 05:47:21 AM
Same size plumbing on the discharge?

Dennis

I thought that too, but remembered that she pvc'd it all the same....altho length of the pipe runs could influence it too....discharge pvc starting to clog from debris may be an issue too...??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Discharge is 1".  I would have like to have used 1"on the intake as well but the largest thick walled hose I could find had the ID that is the same diameter as the OD of 3/4" PVC.  I tried a thinner walled hose put the suction would collapse it. (My tanks aren't drilled, I drain by going from tank to tank.  That way I can vacuum my bottoms).  This slow draining has happened gradually over the past month or so.  I'll take the impeller end of the pump completely apart today and see if I can find something gumming up the works.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 01, 2015, 06:57:51 AM
Discharge is 1".  I would have like to have used 1"on the intake as well but the largest thick walled hose I could find had the ID that is the same diameter as the OD of 3/4" PVC.  I tried a thinner walled hose put the suction would collapse it. (My tanks aren't drilled, I drain by going from tank to tank.  That way I can vacuum my bottoms).  This slow draining has happened gradually over the past month or so.  I'll take the impeller end of the pump completely apart today and see if I can find something gumming up the works.

I'd check the discharge line too....debris can build up in there ...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I blew it out with a blast of water from the outside faucet last week.  It's clear.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 01, 2015, 07:47:20 AM
I blew it out with a blast of water from the outside faucet last week.  It's clear.

I missed that.... huh....
Jon

BallAquatics

Perhaps the impeller has some damage from gravel, grit, etc.
My discharge pumps have sponge filters.  They do plug-up and require cleaning, but they prevent any damage to the pump impeller.   2c2

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Fixed it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  The impeller itself is not removable.  It is set into this thing that protects it from gravel and stuff.  I don't know what it's called but it has 6 narrow slots where the water flows in that don't let large stuff get in.  Most had crap in them.  2 were totally plugged.  I got them cleaned out with a used dental instrument that my dentist gave me to clean my dog's teeth.  It wasn't the right tool for that but it has come in handy for other strange things when I've found my self in need of something sharp skinny and strong.

Rjb3

I have dental instruments I use to fix firearms. Again, not the intended purpose, but they work like a charm.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 01, 2015, 10:25:31 AM
Fixed it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  The impeller itself is not removable.  It is set into this thing that protects it from gravel and stuff.  I don't know what it's called but it has 6 narrow slots where the water flows in that don't let large stuff get in.  Most had crap in them.  2 were totally plugged.  I got them cleaned out with a used dental instrument that my dentist gave me to clean my dog's teeth.  It wasn't the right tool for that but it has come in handy for other strange things when I've found my self in need of something sharp skinny and strong.

Ta Da !!!..... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Water change was fast and delightful as it should be :)

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 01, 2015, 03:49:12 PM
Water change was fast and delightful as it should be :)

Liz what pump do you use to to empty your tanks? I have that a small Wayne pump that is crap.  ???

I want to upgrade but I have to watch how fast it drains the tanks since my basement water goes into an ejector that pumps the water up into an overhead drain pipe.

If I overfill the ejector before that pump comes on the water will end up on my basement floor.  huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.