• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 07:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 285
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 308
Total: 308

Dumped my worm culture on the garden

Started by LizStreithorst, September 07, 2015, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rjb3

Micro, Walter, and Banana worms are all different in size. Then Grindals and White worms. Endlers will eat White worms without a problem. Larger Micro worms are a good thing. Sounds crazy to have larger Micro worms, huh?

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on September 08, 2015, 08:11:57 AM
Micro, Walter, and Banana worms are all different in size. Then Grindals and White worms. Endlers will eat White worms without a problem. Larger Micro worms are a good thing. Sounds crazy to have larger Micro worms, huh?

I know, we have all three.....I was just envisioning a Giant micro worm....LOL....perhaps robust would be a better term??... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

QuoteI was just envisioning a Giant micro worm....LOL....perhaps robust would be a better term??
robustus is a common scientific name.

Some thing I really like about micro- and Walter-worms is that their babies are smaller than large paramecia and make good food for baby Danios.
These worms shed their skin to grow like an insect. They have something like 5 stages separated by molts.
The smallest start as little worms coiled up in eggs in the female (hemaphrodite?)'s body.
They are microscopic, but you can make them out as dust in a column of water if you shine the light on them right.

I'm going to try your paper towel trick. Sounds interesting.

WRT your nice link:
When I tested (micro-worms plus paramecia and brine shrimp) vs. (paramecia and brine shrimp) for growing baby zebrafish, the micro-worm combo resulted in better survival and growth (microworms were not limitiing).

Rjb3

My paper towel trick should work for you. I can pour milk down my sleeve, too. I always end up with a wet sleeve though . . . . .  LOL

Rjb3

Uh, Oh! Tracking says your worms are in Florida.

At 9:26 AM they were out for delivery in Mississippi. Then, they traveled 772 miles to be delivered at 4:19 PM to Lake Harbor, Fl. Hmmmm.

LizStreithorst

Don't get me started My Captain, darlin'.  They made it to me, finally...way after my mail was delivered the first time.  My home delivery has been screwed ever since the old post mistress retired.  I was kick ass, cussing mad but I'm calming down now thanks to beer and  w!w.

Thanks so very, very, much for the worms and powdered foods :-*
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 08, 2015, 05:09:49 PM
Don't get me started My Captain, darlin'.  They made it to me, finally...way after my mail was delivered the first time.  My home delivery has been screwed ever since the old post mistress retired.  I was kick ass, cussing mad but I'm calming down now thanks to beer and  w!w.

Thanks so very, very, much for the worms and powdered foods :-*

+1.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

So, in less than an hour, they were removed from the mailbox in Florida and quickly transported 772 miles back to Mississippi? Nothing short of miraculous.

Glad you received them. Next time I won't bother with "This side up". LOL

LizStreithorst

Apparently they beamed them over with the transporter ::)  It's amazing what they can do when it comes to late arrival and having to pay out on the insurance.

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

My tracking just said that they were delivered to my mail box although the lady showed up at my door.  I didn't move to Florida and I never will.  Could be that they beamed me there to pick up the box and beamed me back so fast that I became confused.  That's my only explination huh

Rjb3

LOL  I had fun with this. LMK if they give you any trouble.

LizStreithorst

My darlin' Captain.  I didn't enjoy it one bit.  I will let you know if the worms are dead. I'll also let every one here know if I get beamed again to some other place that I don't want to be. 

LizStreithorst

Wouldn't you know it?  My live Black Worms are a day late.  Got stuck in Memphis ::)