• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Dumped my worm culture on the garden

Started by LizStreithorst, September 07, 2015, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I need the space for a new rack and tanks for the guppies.  I can fit a 7' X 2' rack behind the sofa in the fish room.  These will be my last "more tanks".  I'm ashamed of myself as it is.  I've said for years that I don't need more tanks.  Shows what I know about my own self ::)

A new member here is pushing me to build my own tanks out of plywood.  You know who you are, John.  I don't think I'll do it.  I have a 30 and a 20 long that will do for now.  Tanks sometimes fall in my lap as gifts from customers. 

Oh, BTW, all three of my guppy trios have children already and I know that more will come soon enough.  The horny things seem always to be pregnant.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

As much as making a wood tank might be fun, with the cheap cost of tanks now..it's not worth the energy....

Alho Ed's 8 foot trough tank was kinda neat.... |^|

...reminds me, I need to call that hermit again.....yeppers...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If I do it at all which I doubt because I've turned into a sissy girl when it comes to tackling a project that I've never tried before. I will build a 120.  My 75 sits in a place that is wide enough for a 120.  I could give my 75 to the guppies and divide it in half with a piece of poret foam to keep the males away from the females.

big b

Ha the males would find a way to the other side with the girls. They would probably jump over the barrier.

Rjb3

Hey, Liz, when your worm cultures get there tomorrow don't dump them on the garden.

They may be a little shaken from the soft handling the Post Office gives my packages. It may take a few hours for them to settle. Wait, never mind. I put this side up on the box. That should work.  LOL

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on September 07, 2015, 07:52:11 PM
Hey, Liz, when your worm cultures get there tomorrow don't dump them on the garden.

They may be a little shaken from the soft handling the Post Office gives my packages. It may take a few hours for them to settle. Wait, never mind. I put this side up on the box. That should work.  LOL

LOL......did you include directions for her on the MW's..??....and mention don't feed the 'pudding'..... ;D....we gave a culture to a gal and instead of just wiping the sides of the container....she was dipping in the 'pudding'.....makes a very messy tank quickly...but we got her squared away.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I did my research.  I know how to do them. Need to buy some instant mashed potatoes.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 07, 2015, 08:04:26 PM
I did my research.  I know how to do them. Need to buy some instant mashed potatoes.

+1.....Gerber baby oatmeal works well too... |^|
Jon

Rjb3

Very important detail. Liz, wipe the worms off the side of the container. Then, dip your finger in the tank you're feeding.

BTW, I included a couple empty containers with my world famous worm growing media to help you get new cultures going. The enclosed 2 oz. spray bottle is what I use to add moisture to the new cultures. After you cover the bottom of the new deli container, spray a little water on it. It needs to be well soaked but not runny. Not an exact science. Then put a dab of worms from the active culture in the new one. Poof. You're done. Remember to just cover the bottom. Putting a half inch of growing material in the new culture just wastes it. You'll get the hang of it.

E-mail any questions.

Rjb3

Instant potatoes? I should have sent more of my secret growing media along. It will last several months before it goes bad.

My daughter and I almost made a science experiment out of all the different media recipes we tried. That's how I arrived at my secret formula. Been using it for years. What you grow the worms in has a direct influence on how healthy the worms are and how much nutrition they provide the fish. It's part of my aquarium club food presentation.

I met a guy at an aquarium club meeting in Port Washington a few years ago. He's in charge of research at UW Milwaukee. I put my arm around him and said " So, you have access to a dual mass spectrometer". He said yes, but I think my over enthusiasm scared him off.

BillT

Quotedual mass spectrometer

What would you use that for? Checking out the worm's nutrition?

BillT

Rjb3

My concern was if the Omega 3s were in the worms or on the outside of the worms. The Omega fortifying ingredient is added to the worm growing material. I know it coats their bodies. I just wondered if they ingested it. Either way it goes into the fish. Testing control worms versus rinsed and non-rinsed worms would have answered the question. When I used Cod liver oil in the cultures for Omegas it made the worms so slippery they couldn't effectively go up the walls of the container to be harvested in any great numbers. The new stuff doesn't do that. I was also curious about the actual lipid content of the worms. You can calculate that for dry food, but worms are a little harder to figure.

I have other ingredients that stimulate worm growth and size. That can be seen without a microscope. The worm growing material I use is light years ahead of other materials commonly used.

http://www.livefoodcultures.com/microworms_printversion.html

If I went by this research, I would say the lipids are in the worms. Although they already contain 21% lipids, why wouldn't I raise the amount significantly if possible. It almost doubles in this report.

BTW, I have grown them in soil.

A tip for increased worm harvesting: Cover half the surface of the culture with wet paper towel. You will be amazed the worms you collect when you lightly skim a spoon across the towel. Be careful not to press too hard.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on September 07, 2015, 10:21:20 PM
My concern was if the Omega 3s were in the worms or on the outside of the worms. The Omega fortifying ingredient is added to the worm growing material. I know it coats their bodies. I just wondered if they ingested it. Either way it goes into the fish. Testing control worms versus rinsed and non-rinsed worms would have answered the question. When I used Cod liver oil in the cultures for Omegas it made the worms so slippery they couldn't effectively go up the walls of the container to be harvested in any great numbers. The new stuff doesn't do that. I was also curious about the actual lipid content of the worms. You can calculate that for dry food, but worms are a little harder to figure.

I have other ingredients that stimulate worm growth and size. That can be seen without a microscope. The worm growing material I use is light years ahead of other materials commonly used.

http://www.livefoodcultures.com/microworms_printversion.html

If I went by this research, I would say the lipids are in the worms. Although they already contain 21% lipids, why wouldn't I raise the amount significantly if possible. It almost doubles in this report.

BTW, I have grown them in soil.

A tip for increased worm harvesting: Cover half the surface of the culture with wet paper towel. You will be amazed the worms you collect when you lightly skim a spoon across the towel. Be careful not to press too hard.

I'd think that you wouldn't want them growing too big tho...right?.....the beauty of feeding the micro worms is in their smaller size allowing for tiny fry to consume them....growing too big hinders that food option.....
Jon