• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 07:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 174
Total: 174

Worms in my dog....

Started by Ron Sower, September 03, 2015, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...Murphy, aka:TLDITW (the laziest dog in the world) has white round worms in his poop.
LIZ...I have powdered Levamisole for the fish. Can you tell me good doses to admin for TLDITW?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

If you see worms in the poop the're not rounds.  They're tapes.  You can only find rounds in the poop in egg form under the scope.  Levemisol  doesn't work on tapes.  Look under his tail and you may see dried up rice like looking things stuck to his anus or on the hair around his butt.  The drug to use is Praziquantel.  It's sold at the vet's under the name Droncit.  It used to be easy to find at any feed store under the brand name Wormsit.  I'm sure that you could use PraziPro for fish but I don't have a clue as to how to dose it.  Weigh TLDITW, go to the vet and tell them that you need a Droncet for a dog of that weight.  They won't need a fecal sample because eggs rarely show up on microscopic exam. 

Tapes in dogs are said to be are caused by fleas or by eating a dead animal that is infected.  But back when I was at the vet hospital I said that I saw dogs that never had a flea and never caught an animal and ate it that would have tapes time and time again.  I have a feeling that there must be another intermediary host that has not been identified. 

No better place to go for good info than a fish forum, hun? ;)
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

Scott

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 03, 2015, 08:33:50 PM
No better place to go for good info than a fish forum, hun? ;)

Damn right, you are!  |^| It's because we're so well-rounded and so mature (well??.....hesitation.....long pause while i think that last adjective through.....Yeah, I'll stay with it!!).

Thank you, Liz! I knew you could help. I was going by what Miss Lucy was telling me that she saw in his feces. I'll examine it myself today. I can deal with blood, vomit, urine, guts fairly well, but poop is a little struggle for me because of the odor. I can handle it though. I'm TOUGH! Heck I shared in raising 2 babies (pooped diapers gag me!) and an incontinent father-in-law (boy, do I have a story there!). Anyway, I was thinking that the glottids from tapeworms were the egg sacks and wouldn't be round, thin and squirming. It's been a long time since I studied those parasites.

Oh, and thanks for calling me "hun"! I sure hope it wasn't a typo... ;)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

lol, It was a typo but not to worry, You'll be Hun from now on, Hun.
The ones that get pooped out are kind of flatish but they have some plumpness to them.  And they can come out in a long string.  If it's tapes you'll see them again.

LizStreithorst

Holy shit.  He must be loaded if he's passing them in his stool!  I have never seen it except in tiny puppies.

We never used levisol for rounds at the vet hospital.  We used Strongid-T  at 1cc per 10 lbs or Panacure (generic is SafeGard).  I'll google around and find the levisol dose for you if you like.  I'm sure it's out there. 

LizStreithorst

Hun, what I find is that it is not used in dogs and cats because of it's small margin of safety.  Go to the feed store and buy Nemex and give 4 times the dose they say on the label or use Safe Guard and dose according to directions, although double dosing won't hurt.  If you don't have a feed store I'm sure that a good pet store will sell Nemex and perhaps Safe Guard.

Sorry I misled you.  I have never seen rounds passed by and adult dog.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 06, 2015, 07:45:47 PM
Hun, what I find is that it is not used in dogs and cats because of it's small margin of safety.  Go to the feed store and buy Nemex and give 4 times the dose they say on the label or use Safe Guard and dose according to directions, although double dosing won't hurt.  If you don't have a feed store I'm sure that a good pet store will sell Nemex and perhaps Safe Guard.

Sorry I misled you.  I have never seen rounds passed by and adult dog.

...or perhaps it's just best to go see a vet, if in doubt??.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

How's the dog, hun?  What did you end up doing?

Ron Sower

Sorry for the lack of contact by me here Liz. I've been crazy busy for the last few days. Lucy went to the LPS  that has no fish supplies at all, and described what was happening the appearance of the ''worms'' to the lady. Lady asked if they looked like rice grains and Lucy told her yes. Lady said they were tapeworm egg sacs. Then she sold her SafeGuard. So I guess it's a pretty good pet store...! ;)

He has finished the 3-day dosing today. I'll follow up with Lucy to see if they are still in his poop.

Thank you so much.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

safegurad guard gets rounds and hooks as well so you should be good.

Mugwump

I hope the little pup feels better..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 10, 2015, 08:27:19 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 10, 2015, 07:10:30 AM
I hope the little pup feels better..... |^|

+1 |^|
Thanks folks. Ya know, he never acted any different. He's just a lazy dog. Made for lap-sitting...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron