• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 11:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 143
Total: 144

I've Been Thinking!(NEVER A GOOD THING)

Started by b125killer, August 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Thanks guy's,  Willie that light is Mars Auqu 300w. Half of the light is turned off. The Actinic are off. There not needed on fresh water. The white is turned down as low as it will go. It's also 21" above the tank. When I turn the hole thing on it's too bright. The discus got a little freaked out.
It's supposed to be able to grow sps corals. If it works on the 40b I'll be getting a second one for the big tank.
Scott

b125killer

I got the tank downstairs. It was heavier than I remember. It's the same foot print as the 155 bow bit three inches taller.
Scott

b125killer

Scott

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm going to do a reef tank. I got almost 100 pounds of rock today. I wanted enough for the 40 and got a little more. Not really sure it will all fit in a 40. That's okay, I'll "cure" as much as I can and keep the rest dry for the 180. He also gave me about 40 pounds of reef salt. That's enough to get things started.  Now all I need is the protein skimmer, build the sump, and return pump.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 20, 2015, 03:41:33 PM
I'm going to do a reef tank. I got almost 100 pounds of rock today. I wanted enough for the 40 and got a little more. Not really sure it will all fit in a 40. That's okay, I'll "cure" as much as I can and keep the rest dry for the 180. He also gave me about 40 pounds of reef salt. That's enough to get things started.  Now all I need is the protein skimmer, build the sump, and return pump.

ok...it looks like you're starting with the 'fowler' tank then transitioning to reef.....cool.....keep the pics coming...I'd like to follow you process... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I think all reef tanks start out as 'fowler' tanks. It's going to take months to cure the rock. First I have to kill off everything on it. Then I'll scrub off the dead stuff. After that I'll set up the tank. Then place the substrate and rock in and let it start cycling. I know that I can't get all the stuff off the rock. It takes time to cycle the tank and basically let the rest of what's left rot off. That part can take months of just watching a tank with rock in it.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on September 20, 2015, 04:30:13 PM
I think all reef tanks start out as 'fowler' tanks. It's going to take months to cure the rock. First I have to kill off everything on it. Then I'll scrub off the dead stuff. After that I'll set up the tank. Then place the substrate and rock in and let it start cycling. I know that I can't get all the stuff off the rock. It takes time to cycle the tank and basically let the rest of what's left rot off. That part can take months of just watching a tank with rock in it.

Thanks, I don't know the process, never had a salt tank, and it'll be fun to tag along on your journey... w!w
Jon

b125killer

I'm at the point of no return! I got a new protein skimmer and started to "cure" the dead live rock. I'll leave it in there until the tank is up and running. It's just to start the cycling. After I test the tank set up I'll put the rock in and let it continue cycling.

I also got the tank plumbed to the sump. I'm waiting for my ?" acrylic, return pump, and filter socks. I had to order the acrylic, All I could find in the store was ?". Then I need to take the acrylic to work to machine it. It's a little to thick to cut and make look good at home. I need to make two 4" holes and one 1?" hole, then mill it down to size. It will be quicker and look professional if I do it at work.

I didn't drill the tank. I'm hoping the overflows work right. If not I'll have to get the tank drilled. At this point I don't see why they wouldn't. It might be a little tricky to get the system primed but It should work.   
Scott

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

I don't know what I'm looking at but it sounds like you have a good plan Scott. Good luck with the project. Looks like I will join Jon for the ride. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

Nope, It will stay downstairs. If I bring it up I'll have to do water changes with buckets. I'm not going back to the buckets!

I'll try and explain it Willie, but it might be lost in translation because you cant see my hands moving.
This is the front of the tank. Ignore the 3/4 pvc on the front. it's holding the 4" pvc in place. There is slots cut in the top of the 4" pvc The water will get Skimmed from the top. Most of the Protein and toxins will rise to the top of the water. 

Once inside the overflow box the water will get sucked into the 3/4" tube In the corners of the tank. The center tube is there to help me start the siphon. after that the water will flow into the sump. That parts not complete yet. there's still more to come. 

As far as the rock in the can. it just has a protein skimmer in it. It makes micro bubbles that the protein will cling to. then the foam from the protein gets collected into a top cup. There's a lot of dead stuff on the rock. The skimmer will help clean the rock up. I can't add anything to the tank until the rock is cured. That means all the dead stuff is broken down and skimmed out. It will be a lot of water changes and testing. once the water levels are good I can start slowly adding life. the hole process can take months.
Scott

wsantia1

Quote from: b125killer on September 27, 2015, 08:50:30 PM
Nope, It will stay downstairs. If I bring it up I'll have to do water changes with buckets. I'm not going back to the buckets!

I'll try and explain it Willie, but it might be lost in translation because you cant see my hands moving.
This is the front of the tank. Ignore the 3/4 pvc on the front. it's holding the 4" pvc in place. There is slots cut in the top of the 4" pvc The water will get Skimmed from the top. Most of the Protein and toxins will rise to the top of the water. 

Once inside the overflow box the water will get sucked into the 3/4" tube In the corners of the tank. The center tube is there to help me start the siphon. after that the water will flow into the sump. That parts not complete yet. there's still more to come. 

As far as the rock in the can. it just has a protein skimmer in it. It makes micro bubbles that the protein will cling to. then the foam from the protein gets collected into a top cup. There's a lot of dead stuff on the rock. The skimmer will help clean the rock up. I can't add anything to the tank until the rock is cured. That means all the dead stuff is broken down and skimmed out. It will be a lot of water changes and testing. once the water levels are good I can start slowly adding life. the hole process can take months.

Scott I thought that was a great explanation that I was able to follow quite well. Thanks.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 28, 2015, 04:57:15 AM
Quote from: b125killer on September 27, 2015, 08:50:30 PM

Scott I thought that was a great explanation that I was able to follow quite well. Thanks.

Yes.... and you didn't even use your hands!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

I machined the sump sock plate today. It turned out really good. I knew being a machinist would pay off someday. It was a easy part to program and machine. I kind of babied it a little. I could of pushed the cutter a lot harder then I did. I just didn't want to crack the acrylic.

Now to finish the sump and glue the plumbing together. I'm hoping I can test the system tomorrow.   
Scott