• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

I've Been Thinking!(NEVER A GOOD THING)

Started by b125killer, August 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Of starting a reef tank.  I knew working at a pet store was going to be trouble. I have a few empty 40 breeders I want to start with. If  I can keep up with it I might go bigger. I work with a guy that is going to give me enough live rock and sand to start it. He has a 300 gallon reef that has around 500 pounds of rock and sand. That will help a lot, live rock and sand isn't cheap. I need to get the lighting and start a refugium. It could be a fun project. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on August 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM
Of starting a reef tank.  I knew working at a pet store was going to be trouble. I have a few empty 40 breeders I want to start with. If  I can keep up with it I might go bigger. I work with a guy that is going to give me enough live rock and sand to start it. He has a 300 gallon reef that has around 500 pounds of rock and sand. That will help a lot, live rock and sand isn't cheap. I need to get the lighting and start a refugium. It could be a fun project.

Ah.....the 'dark side'...... w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

LizStreithorst

I love salt water tanks....as long as they belong to someone else w!w
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

big b

PaulineMi

Go for it Scott.  We need some reefers around here. You seem to have "the touch" with what you've done so far.  ;)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 01, 2015, 08:50:28 AM
Go for it Scott.  We need some reefers around here. You seem to have "the touch" with what you've done so far.  ;)

"reefers" ????   =;-)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on September 01, 2015, 08:53:53 AM

"reefers" ????   =;-)

Somehow I knew you be all over that.  Lol    8)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 01, 2015, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 01, 2015, 08:53:53 AM

"reefers" ????   =;-)

Somehow I knew you be all over that.  Lol    8)

...you just tossed it out there, and I couldn't resist myself..... ;D
Jon

sschind

I have my 40 breeder hair algae and red slime tank going.  Its not much to look at but my clowns seem happy.

I was going to tear it down but if I am not mistaken I glimpsed a bit of evolution going on in there  I think my fish are growing legs.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

b125killer

The red slime is Cyanobacteria. it is caused by a combination of things. Phosphates, excessive nutrients, imbalanced biological filter, immature bio filter, and light. You can turn off/reduce lights and up the flow in the tank. There's also chemicals that will reduce it. But if you don't take care of the reason why it's there it will grow back.   
See guys I'm learning so much working at the pet store. I'm sure I could do a reef tank.
Scott

b125killer

Plans are in motion! I picked up another 40b. I like them for q.t. tanks for discus. I have the materials to build the refugem, got the new saltwater led light. That might be over powered for the tank, looking into protein skimmers, and picking up the rock tomorrow. As soon as the new discus are out of q.t. I'll break the tank down and set it up as saltwater. I'm also planning for another bigger saltwater tank. I'm getting the tank tomorrow also. It's a 180 bow front with dual overflows. The price was right, FREE!  It will be a long time before I think about setting that tank up. I just couldn't pass it up.
Scott

Mugwump

...180 bow front??....zounds!! that's a beast..... |^|
Jon

wsantia1

Nice Scott. Who is the manufacturer of that lighting? Looks like something I could use
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.