• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 07:09:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Would like to suggest....

Started by Ron Sower, August 20, 2015, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

I was not a good student in any way, shape or form. At 55 I still don't have a GED. I failed English and gym. My biggest hurdle was always math yet I took what back then were called "Regents" courses. Since math was my worst subject I taught myself workarounds then took the harder courses to push myself. BTW I still can't remember the entire multiplication table. Yet I am still pretty quick at figuring out the result.
I did go back the next year to make up the courses. But girls seemed more important.

BTW I wasn't dumb or stupid. Quite the opposite in fact. I was tested at 145 for IQ and on the ASVBTs we took in high school I scored in the top 1% in every subject. Except clerical. Mostly it was boredom. Books we were given two weeks to read I read that night. And the English language is something I've had to be not just good at but exceptional at because of my work. I still don't care about gym.

And BB while do have a degree in physics it is because I was a Dean's list student that when it came time to sign that degree by the dean my lack of a GED or HS diploma fell through the cracks so to speak. While that matter was irrelevant after I got the degree I wouldn't expect for most people to get that fortunate.

And BB, a high IQ or scoring high on some inane test is pretty much meaningless. I know many of the people I went to school with who have far surpassed what I have done. I can't say if they are happier or not though.
I pretty much knew what I wanted to do in 5th grade. And I'm still doing it. I started out in a darkroom formulating my own developers and film coatings. Only thing that has changed is Photoshop is my darkroom now. And I'm fairly good with it.

Find what you like doing and do it.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

big b

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 22, 2015, 02:08:34 PMFind what you like doing and do it.
I am doing it right now. Fish are a hobby for now but I plan for them to become more then just a hobby :).

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 22, 2015, 02:08:34 PM
I was not a good student in any way, shape or form. At 55 I still don't have a GED. I failed English and gym. My biggest hurdle was always math yet I took what back then were called "Regents" courses. Since math was my worst subject I taught myself workarounds then took the harder courses to push myself. BTW I still can't remember the entire multiplication table. Yet I am still pretty quick at figuring out the result.
I did go back the next year to make up the courses. But girls seemed more important.

BTW I wasn't dumb or stupid. Quite the opposite in fact. I was tested at 145 for IQ and on the ASVBTs we took in high school I scored in the top 1% in every subject. Except clerical. Mostly it was boredom. Books we were given two weeks to read I read that night. And the English language is something I've had to be not just good at but exceptional at because of my work. I still don't care about gym.

And BB while do have a degree in physics it is because I was a Dean's list student that when it came time to sign that degree by the dean my lack of a GED or HS diploma fell through the cracks so to speak. While that matter was irrelevant after I got the degree I wouldn't expect for most people to get that fortunate.

And BB, a high IQ or scoring high on some inane test is pretty much meaningless. I know many of the people I went to school with who have far surpassed what I have done. I can't say if they are happier or not though.
I pretty much knew what I wanted to do in 5th grade. And I'm still doing it. I started out in a darkroom formulating my own developers and film coatings. Only thing that has changed is Photoshop is my darkroom now. And I'm fairly good with it.

Find what you like doing and do it.

That is wonderful.  I graduated high school because in those days they just pushed you through and gave you the degree.  I was sent off to an American university in Mexico where I got a great education by auditing classes.  The education part wasn't important to my family.  I was sent so that I could find a suitable husband, the thinking being that I would find one at an expensive college in another country ::)  I failed at that too ;D ;D ;D 

It took me a long while to find my own way.  I ended up doing what I loved when I was a kid.  I'm happy.  I consider myself  successful.  What is it about if it's not about following your heart?
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: big b on August 22, 2015, 04:15:28 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 22, 2015, 02:08:34 PMFind what you like doing and do it.
I am doing it right now. Fish are a hobby for now but I plan for them to become more then just a hobby :).

Then take the courses that lead you in that direction.
Having had family in the fish farming business (1950-1980) and being an avid hobbyist for over 34 years I'd tell my friends to keep it as a hobby and a bit more but find a job to put food on the table and pay the rent. Farms like Segrest and Ekk Will have mega money behind them. We rarely see the high quality fish here. Most are sent overseas where they get the big money.
Just as an example. Some of the best citrus is Indian River. It is grown here in Florida on the east coast. We can't buy it here. It's all shipped out of state. In many cases you can buy better citrus than I can and I live here where it's grown.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

big b

Thanks graphic, I actually have a list of potential careers I think I could do.
1 Ichthyologist
2 Herpetologist
3 grease monkey.
I am going to try to take classes in high school for both ichthyologist and Herpetologist if I can. If I don't make it as a ichthyologist then I can fall back on Herpetology. Or vice versa.

GraphicGr8s

Be careful. Grease monkey is a derogatory remark. It is "automotive technologist"

big b

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 22, 2015, 10:21:38 PM
Be careful. Grease monkey is a derogatory remark. It is "automotive technologist"
Oops I didn't know that. I always thought it was a sign of respect to be called that.

GraphicGr8s

Was just kidding. But today's mechanic needs to be able to do more than turn a wrench and swap parts. Now you need computer skills to do many things and the average shade tree mechanic is lost on many of those things.
I bought a lot of the programs a few years ago yet I hate working on my own car. I don't want to keep up with it. Now if I ever get my fav car that's a different story. Car lift gets bought.

big b

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 22, 2015, 10:46:19 PMNow you need computer skills to do many things and the average shade tree mechanic is lost on many of those things.
Time to find another thing I want to do for a job  >:(. I am NOT good with computers.

LizStreithorst

You have to not mind sweating in the heat and freezing in the cold either.  The shops I frequent are not temperature controlled.  They'll have big fans heaters they just make the heat and cold tolerable.  May be it's different up north.  Good mechanics don't get enough respect, IMO.  I love Chip, Charlotte's man, and Mr. Berkin, The Beast's man.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

QuoteI am NOT good with computers.

You are good enough to be on this forum and probably other things i would guess.
The more you use them the better you will become with them.

Computers are becoming more involved with everything, especially science, but not necessarily in a complicated, behind the scenes way.
It would be more like turn on the computer, get some programs going, enter data, look at some result.
The more complex stuff is understanding what is going on with your particular subject of interest and making use of the computer to achieve your ends.

Don't let them intimidate you. There are always helpful people around (like Dennis) who can point you in the right direction. Particularly in scientific or technical fields.

big b

I don't even know how to print stuff  ::).

GraphicGr8s

big b

*sighs* I suppose I better start learning how to use computers then.

BallAquatics

Quote from: big b on August 24, 2015, 11:03:17 PM
*sighs* I suppose I better start learning how to use computers then.

LOL Cheer up.  Learning something new is always an adventure!   ;)

Dennis