• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 07:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 175
Total: 175

HMF Video

Started by BallAquatics, January 21, 2013, 08:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

After reading Pauline's post about HMF in a planted tank, I was cruising Google to see what was out there about that specific type set-up.  This is NOT about HMF in planted tanks, but it does show some of the flexibility in setting one of these up, and it's a video from Angels Plus...

On this particular video, they use a pump instead of air to move the water.  They also talk about layering the foam material, and using it as a filter/tank divider combo.  I've used it like that in 75 gallon tanks with very good results.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Do you know what Steve is talking about when saying the different types of foam can  be layered? Why would the foam be layered...what does that method accomplish?

Edit...I found the answer.  Larger pores in the first layer traps debris.  The next smaller pored layer can remain cleaner and is the biologically active layer.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 21, 2013, 02:33:54 PM
Do you know what Steve is talking about when saying the different types of foam can  be layered? Why would the foam be layered...what does that method accomplish?

Edit...I found the answer.  Larger pores in the first layer traps debris.  The next smaller pored layer can remain cleaner and is the biologically active layer.

Bingo.....JoAnn fabrics sells an untreated green foam the I've used for diy sponge filters and sponge 'slip overs' for the hob filter intakes....I believe it only comes in 4" thickness....but, it's very dense pored....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

You need to use the hydrogenated foam. The bacters eat the green foam. Jimmy Nobles was messing with this stuff, I think he has a decent source, we'll have to pick his brain at GCCA swap.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Cool, but I think we're talking a different green foam. I've used it, and it hasn't broken down at all. Rinses well,etc....non flame retardant, comes in any size you want...rougly 4" thick X 24"'s wide...cut to length...never heard of bacters eating foam.....???....or breaking it down
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson