• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 07:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 161
Total: 161

New Spawn

Started by b125killer, July 23, 2015, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I pulled a spawn from one of Willies Plats and one of my blue smokey. It's a small spawn, but I figured I don't have a lot of tank space so it will work. Apparently they have an albino gene. A quarter of the spawn is albino. Too bad for them.  I don't have anything smaller then bbs to feed. I haven't had much luck with albinos anyway. I'm also not really looking to raise them. I guess I'll try a different pair.
Scott

wsantia1

Congrats Scott. Yes the Plats are Het for Albino and P/S. I grew a couple of the Albino out and sold them before I left Elgin.  I had no better than a 25% success rate with them. Lots of work with them Albino fry but they look spectacular as adults.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

Thanks Willie,  I remember that the Plats were het for albino.  The surprise was the blue. I have a basic ideal how to. I just don't know if the extra effort is really worth it. I'll feed them all the way I always have, if there are any that feed it will just be a bonus. Truth be knowing I kind of miss not taking care of fry. I'm doing this to see if I can find the time, between two jobs and caring for the discus.  It doesn't leave a lot to take care of the fry. If it works out I might try and breed a few more pairs. 
Scott

ghonk

Do you have any san fran eggs,they are smaller.
That's what i used for my albino dantums,newly hatched if possible.

b125killer

Well this is disappointing. The fry are belly sliding. They should of been free swimming by Tuesday.  There Egg sack was gone. I felt bad and put in a little food. It got eaten quickly but they still aren't free swimming. Just hanging on to the bottom. I'm wondering if I should just call it and wait for the next spawn.
I did pair up a female  pinoy Leopard with the smokey blue. I shouldn't get albinos out of them. But I have be wrong before. 
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on July 30, 2015, 06:12:42 PM
Well this is disappointing. The fry are belly sliding. They should of been free swimming by Tuesday.  There Egg sack was gone. I felt bad and put in a little food. It got eaten quickly but they still aren't free swimming. Just hanging on to the bottom. I'm wondering if I should just call it and wait for the next spawn.
I did pair up a female  pinoy Leopard with the smokey blue. I shouldn't get albinos out of them. But I have be wrong before.

..........light too bright???....leave it off for a few days...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'll try that, they seem fine. Just not swimming. 
Scott

LizStreithorst

I agree with low light and also suggest you invest in some San Francisco brine shrimp cysts.  I wouldn't raise the first White Pigeon Discus fry if not for that stuff.  In some case size matters.  In this case smaller is better.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

Thanks, I'll have to get some San Francisco eggs. I didn't realize there were smaller brine shrimp cysts out there. Just figured they were all the same size. 
There still hanging on the bottom. If I blow them around they'll swim for a little bit, then it's back to the bottom.
Scott

Mugwump

....no micro worms??...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I haven't had micro worms in some time. People kept complaining when I opened them up. So I gave in to pressure not to keep the worms. Something aren't worth the upcoming fight to keep.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on August 01, 2015, 07:08:24 AM
I haven't had micro worms in some time. People kept complaining when I opened them up. So I gave in to pressure not to keep the worms. Something aren't worth the upcoming fight to keep.

LOL.......they aren't that bad.... ;D
Jon

b125killer

There's still no change with these guys.  I think I'm going to pull the plug on them. They just don't want to swim for some reason. I'll do a cool water change on the new pair, see if I can't get some action going on in there.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Better luck next time, Scott.  It won't take long for the pair to spawn again.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

I pulled the plug on this spawn. The ones that did start free swimming where a bit touched in the head.
My new pair are cleaning, well the female is cleaning the slate. She has spawned for me before. The male is being a knucklehead. He's cleaning what ever is in front of him. Glass, plants, intake tube, i think he was trying to clean a cory cat. She has got him to the slate and he'll clean it for a second then start cleaning something else. I'm almost thinking he has ADHD. But this is his first time spawning.
Scott