• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 06:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 246
Total: 246

I've got an itch...

Started by LizStreithorst, July 17, 2015, 04:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

....nice....pretty little things....they'd make a nice display tank even.....??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

They'd look very good in my 75 if I planted it.  They are gorgeous when swimming among the plants.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 17, 2015, 06:13:12 PM
They'd look very good in my 75 if I planted it.  They are gorgeous when swimming among the plants.

like this...?

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Common name: Axelrodi Rainbowfish, Lake Tebera Rainbow

Scientific name: Melanotaenia Herbertaxelrodi

Average Adult Fish Size: 4 inches / 9 cm

Place of Origin: Australia, New Guinea

Typical Tank setup: Axelrodi Rainbows are a very popular aquarium fish, and don?t require anything special. A peaceful community aquarium. Rainbows would ideally be in a planted tank. When housing Axelrodi Rainbow?s in the home aquarium it is important to provide them with a long (4 feet or larger) aquarium that has areas of plants and plenty of room for these active swimmers to move about. They are also well known jumpers, thus their aquarium should be well covered in order to keep them from jumping out of the aquarium when startled. A dark colored gravel substrate may intensify the Axlerodi Rainbow?s colour.

Recommended Minimum Aquarium Capacity:  55 gallon / 240 litre

Compatibility: Peaceful community tank mates like Molly?s, Guppies, Plat?s and Tetra?s.

Temperature: 23 ? 32 Deg C / 73 ? 89 Deg F

Water chemistry: pH 4.5 ? 7.5

Feeding: The Axelrodi Rainbow fish should be fed once or twice a day. It is very important not to over-feed your Rainbow. All food should be consumed after just a few minutes. If not, you are feeding your Rainbow to much food in one serving. You can buy flake food specially made for tropical fish, such as the Rainbow in your fish store. A flake food diet is a good base for the Rainbow, but should ideally be supplemented with live food. Your Rainbow will survive on flake food alone, but the live food makes the Rainbow more well-nourished and healthier. Live or frozen Brine Shrimp is a popular Rainbow fish food since Brine Shrimp is very easy to produce at home. Bloodworms, Micro Worms, Fruit Flies, Mosquito larvae, Daphnia and chopped up Earthworms are other examples of suitable food for your Rainbow.

Sexing: Mature males are larger and exhibit brighter colouration than females. They also develop a much deeper body and longer dorsal and anal fins than females as they grow.

Breeding: Rainbow?s deposits its eggs in vegetation or other suitable substrate with Java moss. It?s best spawned in a pair or group comprising a single male and two or three females in a tank measuring 50-60 cm long.

Females are capable of covering some large, vigorous eggs per day and the adults can either be added to the spawning tank and left in place for a week or so, until the first fry are noticed, or the substrate can be checked each day and eggs removed manually. Males can be aggressive in their pursuit of females keep a look out when on the fish while they?re housed in these confined surroundings, and try to provide some solid cover using large-leaved plants or wood.

Additional Information: The Axelrodi Rainbowfish are undoubtedly one of the most popular in the hobby. Many fish stores recommend these fish as suitable for first time fish owners. They are easy to look after, but will usually struggle with a cycling tank, and would probably die, so they should not be added to a tank until the cycle has been completed

source:
http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/axelrodi-rainbowfish-melanotaenia-herbertaxelrodi/

Similar Posts:

Eastern Rainbowfish ? Melanotaenia Splendida
    Threadfin Rainbowfish ? Iriatherina Werneri
    Turquoise Rainbowfish ? Melanotaenia Lacustris
    Praecox Rainbowfish ? Melanotaenia Praecox
    Boesemani Rainbowfish ? Melanotaenia Boesemani
    Madagascan Rainbowfish ? Bedotia Madagascariensis
    Celebes Rainbowfish ? Telmatherina Ladigesi
Jon

LizStreithorst

Yes, like that.  Isn't that second video a beautiful tank? 

BUT...I thought that you were my friend.  You should be discouraging me not egging me on ::)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 17, 2015, 06:45:45 PM
Yes, like that.  Isn't that second video a beautiful tank? 

BUT...I thought that you were my friend.  You should be discouraging me not egging me on ::)

Well, ya know..... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Yeah, I know.  I'd do the same if it were you wanting them.

big b

Remember what your signature says, live with your arms wide open. Wide open to get more fish :)

PaulineMi

I've always admired the beautiful colors but just can't get beyond that tiny head and big body. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on July 27, 2015, 12:40:09 PM
I've always admired the beautiful colors but just can't get beyond that tiny head and big body.

I think that they're pretty fish, in someone else's tank.... :D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Well, I was able to not scratch the itch and now I can't.  I filled the 75 with a bunch of worthless unturned HBs.  The fish store hasn't needed any for 4 weeks.  There business must be as slow as mine is right now.  When things are busy for them they take 20 or so every week.  I'm hoping I won't have to get the bucket of ice out.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 27, 2015, 04:18:10 PM
Well, I was able to not scratch the itch and now I can't.  I filled the 75 with a bunch of worthless unturned HBs.  The fish store hasn't needed any for 4 weeks.  There business must be as slow as mine is right now.  When things are busy for them they take 20 or so every week.  I'm hoping I won't have to get the bucket of ice out.

Aquabid em in nice lots....lotsa folks buy unturned HB's....just say so...yada yada....few bucks each beats a stick in the eye.. ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

The Wholesaler!  I forgot about them.  Only a buck a piece but not half the hassle of Aquabid and they're all gone in one fell swoop.  I figure there's about 175 of them so even at a buck each I'll get a pocket full of money.