• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 04:54:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 312
Total: 312

Angel pairs never cease

Started by Mugwump, January 18, 2013, 07:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

to amaze me. I have a spawn from a F1 Manacapuru(male) X (PB SilverXManacapuru)
(female)...they have been real close to raising a batch, They spawned again and took a few dozen or so past wiggler stage...then they were gone...knowing that parents rival 'Houdini' when hiding fry, I looked all over for them....nada..that was Wednesday night. Tonite I go down to check things and turn some lights off, and boomba....they're back on the slate, popping around like crazy...sheesh, these guys are good....LOL....I love good surprise, yep... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

That's great, I wish I had a pair that where that close to raising a spawn. The St Isabel/Rio Negro spawned for me but I think they are going backwards. they didn't seem to care at all about this spawn. on the plus side they used the slate this time.
Scott

Mugwump

Did ya yank it??....try a batch on your own, it'll be good practice getting your technique down,,,
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'll yank the next one. so far they spawn every 10 to 14 days.
Scott

Mugwump

If they act not interested, try putting an airstone under behind the slate to get some decent water circulating around it,,if you get wigglers, their interest mey oerk up, they're young yet...
Jon

PaulineMi

Are the parents and babies still doing well or are the babies hidden again?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Still there this morning, there aren't many being moved around, but it's a start for these two.. ;D
Jon

Mugwump

We have lift off....the mutiny begins....I counted 20+ so far.... ;D..

Jon

Mugwump

Well, they've escaped...mutiny complete...LOL...proud parents are pleased and protective...

Jon

LizStreithorst

I know that many pairs have to go through a learning curve before they figure it out, but the ones that hide their wigglers and move them about always end up being the most protective parents.  I've had Discus spawns that I thought had been eaten.  The dang parents managed to hide them from me in a BB tank by moving them to the sponge filter.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

IMHO, a strong breeder female can be the key, too. I've had some female angels, with a spawn, that would kick a whale's butt, if he threatened her young'ns.....real 'hammers'...LOL...fearless..
Jon

LizStreithorst

Hummm...With Discus it's the male who is generally the better and more agressive parent.  I've had a good pair attack my hand and the syphon hose during WC but the one who hit my hand the hardest and bit me was a male.  I've saw a video on Simply of a male breaking the surface of the water to attack the hand of his owner.

When fry are disappearing and you don't know which of the pair is the culprit, your best bet by far is to remove the female.  Is the same not true for Angels?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 20, 2013, 11:46:08 AM
Hummm...With Discus it's the male who is generally the better and more agressive parent.  I've had a good pair attack my hand and the syphon hose during WC but the one who hit my hand the hardest and bit me was a male.  I've saw a video on Simply of a male breaking the surface of the water to attack the hand of his owner.

When fry are disappearing and you don't know which of the pair is the culprit, your best bet by far is to remove the female.  Is the same not true for Angels?

Actually Liz, it could be either one, in most angel pairs, while they both tend the eggs, the female will tend more than the male...a good female will send the male to guard the area. Yes, the males can be very aggressive and should be protective...but nobody better mess with a good 'mama bear', she calls the shots....i e. when I'm going to lay, where I'm going to lay, and where you should be while I'm tending, and be ready to tend the eggs when I'm ready to eat, this is done with a wiltering look...LOL....
   In Discus, the fry feed off the parents, so both are more involved.
   I've had males, and females, break water going after me..especially if I'm pulling their spawn slate...I've had pairs that after I've pulled a spawn slate, refuse to lay there again for a loooong time....freaky good memories... ;D
   Of course, none of this is cut in stone...I've removed females and the males tended just fine. and vice versa...I've even 'fostered' a spawn to another pair. the female accepting them tells the story, imho...if she likes em, he'll be fine....but not all pairs seem to foster well....

Jon

LizStreithorst

With Discus the female chooses her man rather than the male choosing his woman.  The males flirt and the female cooses.  I've found that my females choose their mate well.  They choose the biggest finest one.  When and where the spawning takes palce is up to her.  After all, she's the one with the eggs.

At least IME, once the eggs are laid and fertilized, the male is top bannana.  The female is generally a good parent, but it's the male who will best defend them.  When they free swim, it's usually the male who is darker and attracts the fry to eat from his slime coat. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 20, 2013, 01:07:48 PM
With Discus the female chooses her man rather than the male choosing his woman.  The males flirt and the female cooses.  I've found that my females choose their mate well.  They choose the biggest finest one.  When and where the spawning takes palce is up to her.  After all, she's the one with the eggs.

At least IME, once the eggs are laid and fertilized, the male is top bannana.  The female is generally a good parent, but it's the male who will best defend them.  When they free swim, it's usually the male who is darker and attracts the fry to eat from his slime coat.

I think it's the same with angel fish, the males all posture and she selects one. However, parenting and defending are two different things. I've seen both sexes get preoccupied with defending and forget,or not tend, the spawn. It's not common, but if they can see the next tank,etc they can get nutsy. I'll pop a piece of cardboard between tanks to block their view.
Like an idiot, I didn't paint the sides.....LOL
Jon