• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallace

Hochschild formulates a ?deep story? to explain the worldview of her tea party neighbors. Imagine that you are standing in a line of people that rises up over a hillside. On the other side of the hill is the American Dream. You work hard, sometimes in dangerous work. You lead a moral life, honoring family, country, community and God and make sacrifices, such as serving in the military. You are waiting patiently, but the line is stalling, even moving backward at times. When you look forward, you see people cutting in line. Some of them are new immigrants and people of color.

At the head of line, waving in the line-cutters, is Barack Obama and the liberal coastal elites. While calling you a racist, they side with the line-cutters. Heck, they even appear to value the lives of pelicans higher than your life and livelihood in the name of abstract environmentalism.

You are not a racist?you have worked all your life along side African-Americans and Latinos. But you resent it when people cut in line. And you don?t like it when liberals insult you because of your Christianity, commitment to marriage, and Southern culture. All this makes you feel like you are a stranger in your own land.

What the Tea Party and Donald Trump have to offer is they at least see you. You are not invisible. And they invoke memories of a time when you weren?t a stranger in your own land. They don?t dismiss you as racists and rednecks.

When Hillary Clinton calls you a ?deplorable,? you know that?s what the liberal elites secretly say behind closed doors. As Joe Bageant wrote in his marvelous book, Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America?s Class War, most liberals don?t have a clue how to engage with white working class communities. They presume people are too racist, dumb or manipulated by the Koch brothers to vote for their real economic class interests, rather than understand the economic, cultural and identity reasons why people might distrust the Democratic party establishment and liberal agenda.

Over three decades of stagnant wages and sluggish growth in rural and small town America have fueled the regressive populist moment. One solution is to get the stalled-out line moving again by raising wages, expanding opportunities, savings, wealth creation, and homeownership.

http://thenewpress.com/books/strangers-their-own-land
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on September 23, 2016, 11:36:44 AM
Hochschild formulates a ?deep story? to explain the worldview of her tea party neighbors. Imagine that you are standing in a line of people that rises up over a hillside. On the other side of the hill is the American Dream. You work hard, sometimes in dangerous work. You lead a moral life, honoring family, country, community and God and make sacrifices, such as serving in the military. You are waiting patiently, but the line is stalling, even moving backward at times. When you look forward, you see people cutting in line. Some of them are new immigrants and people of color.

At the head of line, waving in the line-cutters, is Barack Obama and the liberal coastal elites. While calling you a racist, they side with the line-cutters. Heck, they even appear to value the lives of pelicans higher than your life and livelihood in the name of abstract environmentalism.

You are not a racist?you have worked all your life along side African-Americans and Latinos. But you resent it when people cut in line. And you don?t like it when liberals insult you because of your Christianity, commitment to marriage, and Southern culture. All this makes you feel like you are a stranger in your own land.

What the Tea Party and Donald Trump have to offer is they at least see you. You are not invisible. And they invoke memories of a time when you weren?t a stranger in your own land. They don?t dismiss you as racists and rednecks.

When Hillary Clinton calls you a ?deplorable,? you know that?s what the liberal elites secretly say behind closed doors. As Joe Bageant wrote in his marvelous book, Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America?s Class War, most liberals don?t have a clue how to engage with white working class communities. They presume people are too racist, dumb or manipulated by the Koch brothers to vote for their real economic class interests, rather than understand the economic, cultural and identity reasons why people might distrust the Democratic party establishment and liberal agenda.

Over three decades of stagnant wages and sluggish growth in rural and small town America have fueled the regressive populist moment. One solution is to get the stalled-out line moving again by raising wages, expanding opportunities, savings, wealth creation, and homeownership.

http://thenewpress.com/books/strangers-their-own-land

The whole piece is based on a racist opinion that thwarts any attempt to make rational sense of it all. It does seem almost written by a 'tea party' person. Some of the points are close to correct.....but the author lost me when he mentioned the current President as an enabler. That alone is not true, other than being black himself, he has played no part in what is written. You cannot lay the blame of decades of racial issues at his feet and claim they were his fault.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

I am not trying to start an argument and I know this is a GOP, Trump bashing thread, but I thought this was a pretty good analogy.  Just because you don't believe in illegal immigration or rioting in the streets doesn't make you a racist.  If everybody in the line had the same moral fortitude and desire to achieve there would be no line cutters.  It's the "get something for nothing" and the "me alone, screw the rest of you" people that are the problem.  And the people that tolerate that behavior and even encourage it are the scourge of the land.  I won't even mention our current presidents refusal to follow the immigration law.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on September 23, 2016, 01:35:32 PM
I am not trying to start an argument and I know this is a GOP, Trump bashing thread, but I thought this was a pretty good analogy.  Just because you don't believe in illegal immigration or rioting in the streets doesn't make you a racist.  If everybody in the line had the same moral fortitude and desire to achieve there would be no line cutters.  It's the "get something for nothing" and the "me alone, screw the rest of you" people that are the problem.  And the people that tolerate that behavior and even encourage it are the scourge of the land.  I won't even mention our current presidents refusal to follow the immigration law.

Dale, this thread has a bunch of Hillary bashing as well....LOL..there is no argument really, anyone is entitled to state his/her opinion. However, I just wanted to point out that the made up analogy in the essay doesn't completely fly.....fact is that we aren't accepting mass immigrants from the middle east as toted by some...

"immigrants from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region resided in the United States, representing 2.5 percent of the nation?s 41.3 million immigrants. Migration from the MENA region to the United States, motivated mainly by political instability in the region and economic opportunities abroad, began in the 18th century and has occurred in three phases."

Plus trying to put the blame on the current regime is ludicrous. I believe in the 'American Dream' too, but there are many more things causing the economy to be in favor of the ultra rich, and corporations. We can go back as far as the great 'trickle down; economics...it does not work and has caused the middle class to take a major hit...companies relocating away from the US...and many more things have caused the middle class woes..

One of the reasons that I can not support Mr. Trump is because he lays the blame all the immigrants, and has rallied folks against them...calling them names, and blaming them for crime, and folks losing their jobs to them....balderdash....do you really that he will be a President of all the people?...no way...even his own party has recognized that they don't want him....that should tell folks something...

When the author above wrote this....

"At the head of line, waving in the line-cutters, is Barack Obama and the liberal coastal elites. While calling you a racist, they side with the line-cutters. Heck, they even appear to value the lives of pelicans higher than your life and livelihood in the name of abstract environmentalism."

..it was written to incite,  nothing else.....this wasn't an essay, it's just plan propaganda....

Am I happy about the choices for President this year...no, not really....but I know that I won't be voting for a hate monger.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Never try to rationalize the tea party,they are scum,all of them.
Just like MOST  of crazy Donnie boys supporters,just ask one of them a question and see.   

Barb

What a hate-filled individual you are.  You are the reason many former members here no longer feel welcome and don't post anymore.  You have done damage due to your opinions that you share way too often.  Well done, if you had this in mind.
Barb, former member at Mugs

ghonk

Was talking to my brother yesterday,who moved to NC a few  years ago.
Not only do many people there see  blacks and latinos as the one ones TAKING THEIR JOBS,but also them damn yankees.
Always looking to blame someone else for their failures and screwed up life.

Hey here's an idea,lay off the meth and prescription medication and maybe you will be able to pass a drug test.     

ghonk

Quote from: Barb on September 23, 2016, 05:46:12 PM
What a hate-filled individual you are.  You are the reason many former members here no longer feel welcome and don't post anymore.  You have done damage due to your opinions that you share way too often.  Well done, if you had this in mind.
Barb, former member at Mugs

Are you talking to me,if you are you must be part of the tea clan ,or a crazy Donnie boy minion..Those would be the hate-filled ones you are thinking of.

Bye.   

LizStreithorst

Greg, you're insensitive and you're a bully.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 23, 2016, 05:49:07 PM
Was talking to my brother yesterday,who moved to NC a few  years ago.
Not only do many people there see  blacks and latinos as the one ones TAKING THEIR JOBS,but also them damn yankees.
Always looking to blame someone else for their failures and screwed up life.

Hey here's an idea,lay off the meth and prescription medication and maybe you will be able to pass a drug test.   

...Uncalled for Greg.....chill....
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 23, 2016, 06:05:54 PM

..seems so.....what's up with all the hate, Greg?....not everyone agrees with everyone....
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 23, 2016, 06:05:54 PM

LOL,i'm a bully,ARE YOU KIDDING ME.
You need to take look in the mirror,or better yet read some of your own posts,or ask some members at simply.

You're  the one that has NO self control,just like crazy Donnie boy, i'm  surprised you aren't one of his minions.

Mugwump

...topic now locked.....enough's enough............
Jon