• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 131
Total: 132

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

WICHITA, KS?Chuckling and shaking their heads as they described their annual family gift exchange to reporters, Koch Industries executives Charles and David Koch confirmed Wednesday they had unwittingly gotten each other the same election for Christmas this year.

The two brothers and energy industry magnates, who for decades have gathered to share a holiday meal and open presents next to the Christmas tree in Charles? Wichita home, admitted they were a bit embarrassed to learn they had each given the other U.S. Rep. Lee Zeldin?s congressional seat, but said they ultimately shrugged off the coincidence.

?Now that I think about it, I can?t believe this has never happened before. It was probably bound to sooner or later. I guess we just know each other too well!?

?When we realized we both bought New York?s 1st District, we just looked at each other and laughed,? said Charles Koch, who acknowledged that he and David have pretty similar tastes. ?Now that I think about it, I can?t believe this has never happened before. It was probably bound to sooner or later. I guess we just know each other too well!?

?At least it?s something we can enjoy using together,? he added.

David Koch explained that he had hoped the present would be a special surprise for Charles, noting that he had taken care to be discreet by telling his brother he was ?just heading out to another fundraiser at Lincoln Center? when he was in fact on his way to go purchase the outcome of the election in the eastern Long Island congressional district. In addition, he was reportedly careful not to take any calls from the Zeldin 2016 campaign team while he and Charles were out together at dinner, the ballet, or Cato Institute symposiums.

?A few months ago, we were watching the news, and when one of the pundits on TV mentioned Zeldin?s reelection bid, Charles? whole face just lit up,? said David Koch, who later admitted he had purchased the district partly because he knew he would want to borrow it for himself from time to time. ?Well, it seems like my brother and I both had the same idea about limiting the petroleum industry?s liability for toxic spills and ensuring taxpayers shoulder the majority of cleanup costs. That?s just so us, you know??

?After he got me Wisconsin?s right-to-work bill last year, I knew I had to get him something really good this Christmas,? David added.

The brothers said they were relieved to have spent the same amount on their gifts, having both made the maximum $2,700 in direct donations to the incumbent representative?s campaign and, through their super PAC Freedom Partners Action Fund, earmarked $2 million to pay for attack ads and mailers to smear Zeldin?s challenger in the key swing district.

?We went in together on Scott Walker a few months back, which was a real letdown, so I wanted to get David something he could really get some use out of,? said Charles Koch, recalling how disappointed his brother had been when the former presidential candidate had stopped working. ?We were so excited when we first got Walker, but he turned out to be defective. It would have cost way too much to fix him.?

According to reports, the brothers agreed they would avoid making the same mistake next Christmas by simply giving each other a $25 million gift card that could be spent at any lobbying firm in the United States.

http://www.theonion.com/article/koch-brothers-get-each-other-same-election-christm-52012
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Mugwump

I've seen that...isn't it great   |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

BillT

Ever wonder where corporate climate deniers get "experts" to support their claims:

https://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/12/08/exposed-academics-for-hire/

BallAquatics

BBC has had several pieces on Exxon/Mobil funding scientists to cast doubt.  Also, nice piece on PBS.....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/climate-of-doubt/

Dennis

Mugwump

Donald Trump: Republican Presidential Candidate Says Water Regulations Harm His Ability to Wash Hair

Trump's example of environmental rules that hurt his great hair? ?You have showers where I can?t wash my hair properly, it?s a disaster! It?s true. The showerheads have restrictors". Sorry, but I can't vote for a person with no clue as to how to use a simple needle-nose pliers to remove the plastic restriction orifice!

LOLOLOLOL....
Jon

BillT

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on December 14, 2015, 10:47:36 PM
A realistic analysis of the Paris Climate Agreement (not pretty):

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-paris-climate-agreement-would-be-a-great-first-step-if-this-were-1995/

The fact is that nothings perfect....and there will be critics coming out of the woodwork now....sure it will take a bit of tweaking and revising as it moves forward. Not everyone's going to like the color you painted the wall.....but it's a start....

Plus the deniers will try to torpedo it along the way....

Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 15, 2015, 04:55:18 AM
....and there will be critics coming out of the woodwork now....

That's the Nation past-time in this country these days isn't it?

I think most of us here are old enough to remember when we did great things in this country.  What happened to us?  When did we become so wishy washy and unable to stay the course with tough problems?

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 15, 2015, 07:38:25 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on December 15, 2015, 04:55:18 AM

I think most of us here are old enough to remember when we did great things in this country.  What happened to us?  When did we become so wishy washy and unable to stay the course with tough problems?

Dennis

Well, we allowed the creation of the 'me' society.....plus the internet has given rise to pseudo intellectuals who are just parroting anything they read on the net.....FB fish groups are an example.....there are all these 6mos into the hobby experts now.....the salt argument gets testy over there too....LOL..." I read it on the internet, so it must be true"....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

QuoteThe fact is that nothings perfect....and there will be critics coming out of the woodwork now....sure it will take a bit of tweaking and revising as it moves forward. Not everyone's going to like the color you painted the wall.....but it's a start....

Plus the deniers will try to torpedo it along the way....

It is a start, but a rather limited one.
The big hope is that it is something to build on. By itself, it will not do the job.

QuoteQuote from: BallAquatics on Today at 04:38:25 AM

Quote from: Mugwump on Today at 01:55:18 AM

Dennis

Well, we allowed the creation of the 'me' society.....plus the internet has given rise to pseudo intellectuals who are just parroting anything they read on the net.....FB fish groups are an example.....there are all these 6mos into the hobby experts now.....the salt argument gets testy over there too....LOL..." I read it on the internet, so it must be true"....

I would argue a lot of it is due to the corrupting influence of unregulated big money on the election process.
Any noisy idiot can get noticed by spending a lot of money.
Media presence increases the popularity of many of them.
Corporate interests fund PR in order to further line their pockets.