• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 09:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 144
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on September 25, 2015, 12:22:45 PM
In truth, Boehner was likely the only one keeping those idiots in check.....it's the same thing that the President has been dealing with in Congress...both trying to keep the ding dongs in their corral......
I wonder who has the nuts to do either job??.....

Ya know, the 'South' lost the Civil War.....it's a shame they can't get over it.....

You mean following the Obama lead don't you. Maybe now they can get Obama stopped from his crazy crap and get this economy and country rolling again. If only McConnell would resign. <<sigh>>
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on September 25, 2015, 11:54:58 AM
Your source says it all....a typical article that lumps a whole issue based one one persons doings, in order to bias readers toward an agenda. It proces nothing.

""The New American (TNA) is a print magazine published twice a month by American Opinion Publishing Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the John Birch Society (JBS). The magazine was created in 1985 from the merger of two JBS magazines: American Opinion and The Review of the News.""

Bill I know if it doesn't come from the likes of thinkprogress you don't buy it.

The truth is if these "scientists" were to argue against CC you know for a fact that funding would be cut off.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/03/new-inquisition-punish-climate-change-deniers/

http://www.climatechangedispatch.com/jailed-for-scientific-dissent-20-climate-scientists-call-for-rico-investigation-of-climate-skeptics.html

QuoteDear President Obama, Attorney General Lynch, and OSTP Director Holdren,

As you know, an overwhelming majority of climate scientists are convinced about the potentially serious adverse effects of human-induced climate change on human health, agriculture, and biodiversity. We applaud your efforts to regulate emissions and the other steps you are taking. Nonetheless, as climate scientists we are exceedingly concerned that America?s response to climate change ? indeed, the world?s response to climate change ? is insufficient. The risks posed by climate change, including increasing extreme weather events, rising sea levels, and increasing ocean acidity ? and potential strategies for addressing them ? are detailed in the Third National Climate Assessment (2014), Climate Change Impacts in the United States. The stability of the Earth?s climate over the past ten thousand years contributed to the growth of agriculture and therefore, a thriving human civilization. We are now at high risk of seriously destabilizing the Earth?s climate and irreparably harming people around the world, especially the world?s poorest people.

We appreciate that you are making aggressive and imaginative use of the limited tools available to you in the face of a recalcitrant Congress. One additional tool ? recently proposed by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse ? is a RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) investigation of corporations and other organizations that have knowingly deceived the American people about the risks of climate change, as a means to forestall America?s response to climate change. The actions of these organizations have been extensively documented in peerreviewed academic research (Brulle, 2013) and in recent books including: Doubt is their Product (Michaels, 2008), Climate Cover-Up (Hoggan & Littlemore, 2009), Merchants of Doubt (Oreskes & Conway, 2010), The Climate War (Pooley, 2010), and in The Climate Deception Dossiers (Union of Concerned Scientists, 2015). We strongly endorse Senator Whitehouse?s call for a RICO investigation.

The methods of these organizations are quite similar to those used earlier by the tobacco industry. A RICO investigation (1999 to 2006) played an important role in stopping the tobacco industry from continuing to deceive the American people about the dangers of smoking. If corporations in the fossil fuel industry and their supporters are guilty of the misdeeds that have been documented in books and journal articles, it is imperative that these misdeeds be stopped as soon as possible so that America and the world can get on with the critically important business of finding effective ways to restabilize the Earth?s climate, before even more lasting damage is done.

Sincerely,

Jagadish Shukla, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Edward Maibach, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Paul Dirmeyer, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Barry Klinger, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Paul Schopf, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

David Straus, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Edward Sarachik, University of Washington, Seattle, WA

Michael Wallace, University of Washington, Seattle, WA

Alan Robock, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ

Eugenia Kalnay, University of Maryland, College Park, MD

William Lau, University of Maryland, College Park, MD

Kevin Trenberth, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO T.N.

Krishnamurti, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL

Vasu Misra, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL

Ben Kirtman, University of Miami, Miami, FL

Robert Dickinson, University of Texas, Austin, TX

Michela Biasutti, Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY

Mark Cane, Columbia University, New York, NY

Lisa Goddard, Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY

Alan Betts, Atmospheric Research, Pittsford, VT
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 25, 2015, 01:18:49 PM
In truth, Boehner was likely the only one keeping those idiots in check.....it's the same thing that the President has been dealing with in Congress...both trying to keep the ding dongs in their corral......
I wonder who has the nuts to do either job??.....

Ya know, the 'South' lost the Civil War.....it's a shame they can't get over it.....

You mean following the Obama lead don't you. Maybe now they can get Obama stopped from his crazy crap and get this economy and country rolling again. If only McConnell would resign. <<sigh>>

Gee..what do you recommend .....'Trickle down' economics???.....or raise the church's tiff's....??? ....seriously tho, if you'd put your hate of the President aside, you'd have more of a chance to see reality.     
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 25, 2015, 01:27:08 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 25, 2015, 11:54:58 AM
Your source says it all....a typical article that lumps a whole issue based one one persons doings, in order to bias readers toward an agenda. It proces nothing.

""The New American (TNA) is a print magazine published twice a month by American Opinion Publishing Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of the John Birch Society (JBS). The magazine was created in 1985 from the merger of two JBS magazines: American Opinion and The Review of the News.""

Bill I know if it doesn't come from the likes of thinkprogress you don't buy it.

The truth is if these "scientists" were to argue against CC you know for a fact that funding would be cut off.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/03/new-inquisition-punish-climate-change-deniers/

http://www.climatechangedispatch.com/jailed-for-scientific-dissent-20-climate-scientists-call-for-rico-investigation-of-climate-skeptics.html

QuoteDear President Obama, Attorney General Lynch, and OSTP Director Holdren,

As you know, an overwhelming majority of climate scientists are convinced about the potentially serious adverse effects of human-induced climate change on human health, agriculture, and biodiversity. We applaud your efforts to regulate emissions and the other steps you are taking. Nonetheless, as climate scientists we are exceedingly concerned that America?s response to climate change ? indeed, the world?s response to climate change ? is insufficient. The risks posed by climate change, including increasing extreme weather events, rising sea levels, and increasing ocean acidity ? and potential strategies for addressing them ? are detailed in the Third National Climate Assessment (2014), Climate Change Impacts in the United States. The stability of the Earth?s climate over the past ten thousand years contributed to the growth of agriculture and therefore, a thriving human civilization. We are now at high risk of seriously destabilizing the Earth?s climate and irreparably harming people around the world, especially the world?s poorest people.

We appreciate that you are making aggressive and imaginative use of the limited tools available to you in the face of a recalcitrant Congress. One additional tool ? recently proposed by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse ? is a RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) investigation of corporations and other organizations that have knowingly deceived the American people about the risks of climate change, as a means to forestall America?s response to climate change. The actions of these organizations have been extensively documented in peerreviewed academic research (Brulle, 2013) and in recent books including: Doubt is their Product (Michaels, 2008), Climate Cover-Up (Hoggan & Littlemore, 2009), Merchants of Doubt (Oreskes & Conway, 2010), The Climate War (Pooley, 2010), and in The Climate Deception Dossiers (Union of Concerned Scientists, 2015). We strongly endorse Senator Whitehouse?s call for a RICO investigation.

The methods of these organizations are quite similar to those used earlier by the tobacco industry. A RICO investigation (1999 to 2006) played an important role in stopping the tobacco industry from continuing to deceive the American people about the dangers of smoking. If corporations in the fossil fuel industry and their supporters are guilty of the misdeeds that have been documented in books and journal articles, it is imperative that these misdeeds be stopped as soon as possible so that America and the world can get on with the critically important business of finding effective ways to restabilize the Earth?s climate, before even more lasting damage is done.

Sincerely,

Jagadish Shukla, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Edward Maibach, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Paul Dirmeyer, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Barry Klinger, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Paul Schopf, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

David Straus, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA

Edward Sarachik, University of Washington, Seattle, WA

Michael Wallace, University of Washington, Seattle, WA

Alan Robock, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ

Eugenia Kalnay, University of Maryland, College Park, MD

William Lau, University of Maryland, College Park, MD

Kevin Trenberth, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO T.N.

Krishnamurti, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL

Vasu Misra, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL

Ben Kirtman, University of Miami, Miami, FL

Robert Dickinson, University of Texas, Austin, TX

Michela Biasutti, Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY

Mark Cane, Columbia University, New York, NY

Lisa Goddard, Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York, NY

Alan Betts, Atmospheric Research, Pittsford, VT

A masterful cut and paste job...... w!w....wonderful.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Jon, all I was doing was saving Bill from having to go to the link. Nothing was edited out nor added in by me. As far as I can tell this is the actual letter.

See what I get for being nice.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 25, 2015, 01:37:23 PM
Jon, all I was doing was saving Bill from having to go to the link. Nothing was edited out nor added in by me. As far as I can tell this is the actual letter.

See what I get for being nice.

Nice??....naw, that wasn't your intent...was it?  |^|
Jon

BillT

If the Tea Party and their ilk were in power would destroy the economy. Check out Kansas.

Plus, their philosophy is UnAmerican! They should be back to the country they or their ancestors came from.

QuoteBill I know if it doesn't come from the likes of thinkprogress you don't buy it.

Sorry Dude. I don't even know what think progress is.
WRT the climate denier clown, I got my information on him several weeks or months ago from Science magazine (also not a government thing, just like almost all journals) among other journals.

Your arguments are pathetic and you are now just saying what I say back. To paraphrase you: "Na, Na, Na". Pretty lame.
Also disingenuous and demonstrating a lack of any real thought.

You are really classic case of someone who has to feel they are a victim so they don't have too confront their inability to make any sense of their positions.

It sounds like you think THE WHOLE WORLD is in a CONSPIRACY against what ever group it is you support.
Can't you get anything outside of the deluded world to support your views?

I see you still can't make any statement of your own about the links you post.
Unable to make any sense of their blather? It might be difficult for you but I think your just too wimpy. Stand up for the arguments you post.

Maybe you like the way Exxon works. If so come out and say it instead of posting lies you don't want to explain or are incapable of explaining.

Here is something that might warm your heart:
Johnson and Johnson want to argue that they have a corporate right of free speech to ignore FDA rule about what they can tell doctors ad patients so they foist on them drugs inappropriate for their conditions and better market drugs for kids that can give teenage boys large breasts in about 5% of cases.
Another case of bad government, huh?
Be careful of what you wish for!

LizStreithorst

In truth, Boehner was likely the only one keeping those idiots in check....

This is so true.  I feel sorry for Boehner but this will just make the Republican more radical which in turn will alienate the moderates which in turn will help the Democrats when it comes to Nov. 2016.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

QuoteThis is so true.  I feel sorry for Boehner but this will just make the Republican more radical which in turn will alienate the moderates which in turn will help the Democrats when it comes to Nov. 2016.

I think you are right Liz.
I would not be surprised to see this lead to the dissolution of the Republican Party.
The Tea Party takes over Republican control in the House and does more stupid things that pisses off everyone except themselves.
The normals in the party split either after they lose the next election, or out of self preservation, before then and create a new party distinct from both the Democrats and the Republicans. Similar to Lincoln's election before the Civil War.

The Tea Party would be freed up to do their stuff and freek everyone else out.

This could be good for the country in that they will expose themselves as what they really are and we will have the chance for shall have a chance for "a new birth of freedom" from their negative and bigoted ways.

BillT

I think I have figured out G:

Against a lot of stuff, apparently for nothing he is willing to stand up for.
Or maybe he just can't articulate the ideas.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 25, 2015, 04:11:02 PM
QuoteThis is so true.  I feel sorry for Boehner but this will just make the Republican more radical which in turn will alienate the moderates which in turn will help the Democrats when it comes to Nov. 2016.

I think you are right Liz.
I would not be surprised to see this lead to the dissolution of the Republican Party.
The Tea Party takes over Republican control in the House and does more stupid things that pisses off everyone except themselves.
The normals in the party split either after they lose the next election, or out of self preservation, before then and create a new party distinct from both the Democrats and the Republicans. Similar to Lincoln's election before the Civil War.

The Tea Party would be freed up to do their stuff and freek everyone else out.

This could be good for the country in that they will expose themselves as what they really are and we will have the chance for shall have a chance for "a new birth of freedom" from their negative and bigoted ways.

I can see that happening, Bill. The more 'moderate' members of each party have a lot in common ....and they would be more in tune to what the people are really asking for in policies. Everyone won't agree among them for sure, but they are much more likely to share a dialogue of compromise that just doesn't exist now. 
Jon

Mugwump

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)?House Speaker John Boehner announced that he would resign as Speaker and leave Congress in October, but said that he would continue repealing Obamacare from his home in Ohio.

Explaining his decision, Boehner told reporters, ?A lot of the Speaker?s job is administrative, which is time-consuming and tiring. In retirement, I?ll have more time for what I really love: repealing Obamacare.?

Boehner said that he plans to begin every day with a good breakfast, some exercise, and a vote to repeal Obamacare before lunch.

?No one knows how much time one is allotted on this planet,? Boehner, striking a somber tone, said. ?But if the Lord above grants me good health, I will repeal Obamacare thousands of times before my journey ends.?
Jon

Mugwump

This is well thought out, clearly written and worth the three or four minutes of your time it will take to read:

Pope Francis is scaring the hell out of conservatives. Here?s the real reason why

It isn't just that conservatives disagree with the pontiff's politics. He threatens something even more fundamental

Republican legislators who attended Pope Francis? address to Congress were apparently relieved that he didn?t threaten them with fire and brimstone, and that he said that human activity is causing ?environmental deterioration,? rather than using the dreaded words ?climate change? or ?global warming.? What remains clear, however, is that they won?t listen to anyone about this subject ? not the overwhelming majority of scientists, not economists, not public policy analysts, and not the world?s most famous religious leader. As Marsha Blackburn, who ranks second on the House Energy Committee, declared, in connection with the pope?s address, ?I don?t think you will see me being persuaded.?

All of this raises an interesting question: Why exactly are the Republicans so determined to ignore reality? Why won?t they listen to anyone? The answer is actually simple: The reality of climate change demonstrates that progressives are right and they are wrong. Not just wrong about the effect of human activity on the environment, but wrong about their basic approach to the problems of the modern world.

Republican ideology is based on the idea of freedom for capitalists (another concern voiced by Pope Francis). For progressives, freedom involves the ability of ordinary people to express themselves, to choose their own level of religious observance and, increasingly, to receive the education and healthcare that they need to function in modern society. For conservatives, it means the ability of property owners and large corporations to use their economic power any way they wish, to determine exactly how they will treat their employees and what they will say to the consumers who depend on the products they produce.

Americans have rejected this approach for over 100 years, perhaps since the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt. We insist that the way large business enterprises deal with their employees and their customers must be regulated. More recently, we have insisted that the impact of these enterprises on the environment needs to be regulated as well, and that they cannot be permitted to pour poison into our waters and fumes into our air at will.

Recognizing the reality of climate change will necessarily lead to further forms of regulation. That reality emphasizes what physical and social scientists have come to recognize in recent years: that the most recent geological era (usually called the holocene) has ended, and that we are now in an entirely new situation, often described as the anthropocene ? the era of human domination. We now decide whether plant and animal species survive or go extinct, we control the drainage patterns of the lakes and rivers, we determine the extent of the forests and the grasslands. Now it?s become clear that we are decisively affecting the basic climate of the Earth ? the temperature of the air and of the seas, the patterns of atmospheric and oceanic currents, the size of the polar ice caps, the frequency of violent storms, and the general habitability our the only place where we will ever live. The indelible image that our conquest of space has given us ? that of our planet as a small, blue and white ball turning in a void ? carries an important message. Because of our technology, we truly hold the Earth in the palm of our hand.

All this means that conservatives are simply wrong. We?ve gone past the point where the large enterprises that determine the health of the economy, our working people, our environment, and now our planet, can be left to do what they wish. Some types of regulation are undoubtedly better than others. Policy analysts may be correct in their recent enthusiasm for more subtle approaches, which rely on inducement, rather more obvious ones that makes use of threats. But we must regulate, we must exercise control over the awesome powers that modern technology has placed in our hands.

People don?t like to admit that they are wrong, however. Children stamp their feet or burst into tears. Adults concoct bizarre conspiracy theories (tens of thousands of scientists, from all over the world, have joined together to perpetrate a hoax), engage in outright denials in the face of overwhelming evidence (Marsha Blackburn says that someone ? she won?t say who ? told her that the Earth is getting cooler) and insult anyone who tells them something they don?t want to hear (even if that person is the leader of a religion they?ve been touting as the truth for decades). But the conservatives are wrong ? wrong about climate change and wrong about their entire approach to governing our nation. It?s time for everyone else to stop listening to them.

Edward L. Rubin is Professor of Law and Political Science at Vanderbilt University. He is the author of ?The Heatstroke Line,? a new novel about the decline of the United States in a future where global warming has taken hold. For more see edwardrubin.com

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/26/pope_francis_is_scaring_the_hell_out_of_conservatives_heres_the_real_reason_why/
Jon

BillT

LizStreithorst

The Pope is a wonderful man.  He helped the liberals more than the conservatives in his address to congress.  Y'all may think differently about him after his talk to the World Meeting of Families later today.  He has said out loud that he is not a leftist. 
Always move forward. Never look back.