• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 156
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 161
Total: 162

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

LOL....a new low.............Ben Carson quotes??........ w!w
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on September 17, 2015, 06:27:12 AM
And this:

Texas Police Won't Charge Muslim Boy With Clock Possession

As you've probably heard (Dallas Morning News, Washington Post, Popehat, everybody else who gets up earlier than I do, which is apparently everybody), police in Irving, Texas, have announced that they will not bring charges against 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed.

This is mostly because he did nothing even remotely illegal.

not a criminal That didn't stop them from taking him away in handcuffs, though, after they decided the digital clock he built was "suspicious in nature" and that they didn't like his answers to their questions.

Just to be clear, as a New York court has just recently reaffirmed recently, you can say whatever you goddamn well please to the authorities (short of making actual credible threats, at least). Saying "the wrong thing" to a government official is not illegal. This is what the First Amendment is for.

Nor is being "suspicious" justification for an arrest, or even for stopping you on the street, unless the officer has a reasonable suspicion that crime is afoot and can actually articulate why he or she believes that. So why did they arrest him, exactly?

Well, he built this and brought it to school:

0916ahmedclock

It is a digital clock. (Ahmed likes to build things.) His English teacher thought it "look[ed] like a bomb. I'm confident that she, like virtually every other civilian, has never seen a real bomb, and this doesn't look anything like the bundle of dynamite with attached analog clock that she probably has seen in cartoons. Nor are there any explosives in this "bomb," but it does have that big digital display that we've all seen in movie bombs. The principal confirmed that this is what they had in mind. "It looks like a movie bomb to me," he reportedly told Ahmed.

But neither they nor the police ever believed it was in fact a bomb, as they all admitted later. Nor did they believe he was trying to get them to believe that. "We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb," said a police spokesman, and they never had any. "He kept maintaining it was a clock"?because it was?"but there was no broader explanation," the spokesman said. He couldn't explain what sort of "broader explanation" they were looking for, but I guess they wanted him to explain to their satisfaction that he wasn't going to use it like in the movies. The police chief seemed to confirm that this morning when he said the English teacher "was concerned that it was possibly the infrastructure for a bomb."

She almost certainly didn't use that word, for one of two reasons: either (1) it's got too many syllables for her brain to process or (2) she knows that's not what "infrastructure" even means. But the more important thing is that his statement confirms she never thought it was in fact a bomb, and the chief also admitted there was never any evidence that he "intended to create alarm" with what they insisted on calling a "hoax bomb."

He, of course, still defended what they had done, as did Irving's mayor (who has previously expressed great concern about "Sharia law" taking over in Texas, which is also stupid). This is because so many scary things have happened that "we have to err on the side of caution," he said, in this case by arresting a 14-year-old for no reason. And it was completely irrelevant, he insisted, that this particular 14-year-old was a dark-skinned Muslim named "Ahmed Mohamed." Their reaction "would have been the same" under any circumstances, he claimed.

Which is either not true or an admission that they would violate any 14-year-old's rights by arresting him or her without reasonable suspicion of a crime. Take your pick.

Source:
http://www.loweringthebar.net/2015/09/texas-police-wont-charge-for-clock.html

Jon, they suspended a student because he chewed his poptart into the shape of a gun.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/examiner-recommends-school-board-uphold-pop-tart-suspension/
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on September 17, 2015, 08:30:58 AM

Actually it isn't directed at anyone in particular though. More to the subject matter.
Unlike the obvious personal attacks at me. Yet Greg is the only one besides me posting links to back up their idea(s).
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 17, 2015, 08:46:38 AM

Actually it isn't directed at anyone in particular though. More to the subject matter.
Unlike the obvious personal attacks at me. Yet Greg is the only one besides me posting links to back up their idea(s).

Almost all your links are opinion pieces...despite the link source............heck, I've posted/quoted Borowitz from the NYTimes.....LOL....and in case you haven't noticed...they are satirical opinion pieces.....what's next?? the 'Onion' ??

Anyone can search for sources on a particular viewpoint and find someone who agrees with them....and the post that link....but it still won't make it necessarily true...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on September 17, 2015, 09:16:08 AM

Almost all your links are opinion pieces...despite the link source............heck, I've posted/quoted Borowitz from the NYTimes.....LOL....and in case you haven't noticed...they are satirical opinion pieces.....what's next?? the 'Onion' ??

Anyone can search for sources on a particular viewpoint and find someone who agrees with them....and the post that link....but it still won't make it necessarily true...

Sure anyone can. Yet none have. All I hear is just more liberal rhetoric with nothing to back it up. Not even an opinion piece.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 17, 2015, 09:37:10 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 17, 2015, 09:16:08 AM

Sure anyone can. Yet none have. All I hear is just more liberal rhetoric with nothing to back it up. Not even an opinion piece.

Would it really make any difference?? I think it would just fan the flames. All this is being taken way too seriously......more "he said", "she said" won't solve a thing.

Jon

GraphicGr8s

Yeah. If you're conservative you have to back it up. If a lib you're sitting pretty just saying it.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 17, 2015, 10:41:04 AM
Yeah. If you're conservative you have to back it up. If a lib you're sitting pretty just saying it.

You just don't get it do you?? ...all the links in the world won't make you right....your opinion, is just that...your opinion, no matter how important, to you, those feelings may be.....me thinks tho protests too much...............chill
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

BillT

QuoteWhile I was born into a Catholic family I am not Catholic. I've been a "card carrying" athiest. An agnostic. To a Christian. A born again believer saved by Grace.
Well at least you don't have to argue with the Pope in scientific and religious issues.

QuoteI am in no way poorly educated Bill. I did go to college and kept a 4.0 the entire time I was there. Yes. I do have my degree. And it's in a totally different field than what I have done for a living my entire life.
You are certainly uneducated about biology, yet you continue to blather on ignorant crap about it.

QuoteDo you believe you came from monkeys.
I believe that all of us came from the last common ancestor of humans and monkeys, which in turn came from some earlier organism probably somewhat like a rodent (without the funny teeth), and on and on back to more than a billion years ago to when the earth cooled and random chemistry assembled complex sets of self-replicating nano-machines that make copies of the information used in their own generation.
Many of the steps in this scenario are supported but actual data: experiments, fossils that have been found, comparisons using old DNA, modern chemical experiments.

What is your explanation based upon?

Or a more interesting question:
How do you choose which part of what Bible to pull the bits out that you so like to use to justify your nasty feelings about people.

And how is this being American? Seems quite the opposite to me.

QuoteYet Greg is the only one besides me posting links to back up their idea(s).
Wonder why?
I have kind of had it with the quality of your links.
I spent a lot of time chasing your links in a previous thread on climate change.
NEVER have I seem a more pathetic, bunch of (what are most likely) intentionally inaccurate sources (this means cherry picking Mr. Educated).
At that time, I went through them and showed how they were wrong (every one as I recall).
You started a proud tradition of stupid and are now I see going back to the same sources.

You now have a credibility problem.
There is not a good reason to follow your links. The odds are it would be a waste of my time.
And again, this is my opinion (not needing a link) based upon the posts that you have made here (not requiring a link).
It is a description of your own behavior, which you could argue about, but you will consider a personal attack (because you are a conservative and any disagreement with you is a personal attack, an attack on the Bible, or unconstitutional (Of course, it does work the other way does it?)).

Furthermore.
Use links to show DATA.
It better if you use your own words to express your own ideas.

At least give a little summary of the ideas in the links you post.

I am no longer interested in posting links for your benefit, because I do not believe you have any serious interest in other opinions.
Posts for other people are of course different.

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

ghonk

Just happened to be scrolling the channel guide and saw the debates were coming on,thinking it might be worth checking out for a few laughs  i  turned it on.
Nope,every time Trump started talking i felt physically ill,so i had to turn it off before i barfed     up my dinner.   

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 21, 2015, 03:25:48 PM
Just happened to be scrolling the channel guide and saw the debates were coming on,thinking it might be worth checking out for a few laughs  i  turned it on.
Nope,every time Trump started talking i felt physically ill,so i had to turn it off before i barfed     up my dinner.

This will make your stomach feel a little better.... |^|

Scott Walker: Republican Candidate Set to Drop Out of Presidential Race, Reports Say
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker plans to withdraw from the 2016 race, news outlets reported. He's expected to make the announcement at a news conference Monday evening.
Jon