• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 139
Total: 139

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 11, 2015, 08:45:53 PM
From your first link:

Since the end of the boom period, national PV market has since declined significantly, due to the amendments in the German Renewable Energy Act (EEG) that reduced feed-in tariffs and set constraints on utility-scaled installations, limiting their size to no more than 10 MW.[22]

And from the second:

Subsidies aimed at stimulating the growth of renewables have driven up consumer energy prices by 12.5% in 2013.[54] To date, German consumers have absorbed the costs of the Energiewende, but the IEA says the debate over the social and economic impacts of the new approach has become more prominent as the share of renewable energy has continued to grow alongside rising electricity prices.

Think progress does neither. Left wingnuts.
About the same with greentech.
But of course alternative sources will at some point overtake nuclear. Almost any idiot can grasp that if you are tearing down nukes and buildingalternative at some point it must overtake it. Captain Obvious there

From liberal Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-05-30/germany-becomes-net-power-importer-from-france-after-atomic-halt
.France, which relies on nuclear plants for about three-quarters of its power needs, exported a net 509 gigawatt hours to Germany last month compared with net imports of 618 gigawatts during the same month last year, RTE said. In the most recent month, Germany joined Belgium, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. in relying on France for more power imports than exports, the data indicates.

http://www.theenergycollective.com/robertwilson190/456961/reality-check-germany-does-not-get-half-its-energy-solar

And if you want to think that half of Germany's electricity comes from something green you will be disappointed. 46% of generation comes from coal. And just over half of coal powered electricity in Germany comes from burning lignite, perhaps the most polluting way to generate electricity on the planet.

They are trying and succeeding in many areas...which we should be doing too..... you can't just keep 'cherry picking' their problems, and failures, to support not doing it at all. Our disruptive politicians blast everything that comes up....but never back it up with a better solution. The journey starts with the first step....not instant gratification.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Jon, I do support doing it. I support it whole heartily. Like I said I am still pondering doing my own house. But it needs to come from the private sector not the government. I've figured it out though and the numbers don't really work if there are no government subsidies. By that I mean you the taxpayer paying to electrify my house. If you figure the actual cost of the panels, storage batteries, etc. it pays for itself about 2 years after it has reached its useful life. (Damn I almost put the apostrophe in that)

We already have evidence of the effectiveness of government helping out the solar companies. Solyndra ring a bell?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 12, 2015, 07:52:56 AM
Jon, I do support doing it. I support it whole heartily. Like I said I am still pondering doing my own house. But it needs to come from the private sector not the government. I've figured it out though and the numbers don't really work if there are no government subsidies. By that I mean you the taxpayer paying to electrify my house. If you figure the actual cost of the panels, storage batteries, etc. it pays for itself about 2 years after it has reached its useful life. (Damn I almost put the apostrophe in that)

We already have evidence of the effectiveness of government helping out the solar companies. Solyndra ring a bell?

I believe they saw it as a chance to jump start the program...it failed miserably with Solyndra too....win some, lose some...private industry wasn't getting into it as quickly as expected....and yes, it needs to be the private sector getting more involved.....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Private industry will get involved when it's feasible and profitable. There are some companies out there that you don't hear much about that do see the value in the future. They are pouring money into the R&D.
One problem is if you do go off grid the Gestapo and SS will hunt you down.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/court-rules-off-the-grid-living-is-illegal/

http://offgridsurvival.com/livingoffthegridcrime/comment-page-2/

As for win some lose some our CIC has lost 36 out of 36. And that doesn't take into account the money we lost with GM and Tesla.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

From your link....http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/court-rules-off-the-grid-living-is-illegal/

Living off the grid is illegal in Cape Coral, Florida, according to a court ruling Thursday.

Special Magistrate Harold S. Eskin ruled that the city?s codes allow Robin Speronis to live without utility power but she is still required to hook her home to the city?s water system. Her alternative source of power must be approved by the city, Eskin said.

As previously reported in Off The Grid News, Speronis has been fighting the city of Cape Coral since November when a code enforcement officer tried to evict her from her home for living without utilities. The city contends that Speronis violated the International Property Maintenance Code by relying on rain water instead of the city water system and solar panels instead of the electric grid.

?It was a mental fistfight,? Speronis? attorney Todd Allen said of Eskin?s review of his clients? case. ?There?s an inherent conflict in the code.?

Part of the conflict: She must hook up to the water system, although officials acknowledge she does not have to use it.

So it is doable but city codes haven't caught up with technology that's all. It will take time for all the advances to settle in and be accepted, for sure. I believe living rural tho...has it advantages.
If we'd had solar a few years back, where we lived, we could have used our well. Then we'd been living the good life....LOL

I'm wondering if creative elec panel wiring ,to say, only bedrooms that use very little energy might work....then using solar for the expensive appliance areas like the kitchen, laundry room, living room, etc to reduce costs....and be in compliance.
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I've got well and septic. If I could afford solar I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I am starting my aquaponics project as soon as I can. Damn power bill is almost $300 last month.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 12, 2015, 11:49:18 AM
I've got well and septic. If I could afford solar I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I am starting my aquaponics project as soon as I can. Damn power bill is almost $300 last month.

Our bill is high too....especially summer time with the 'air' running....
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on August 12, 2015, 12:19:35 PM

I just paid $339. Ouch. Hopefully it was mostly the air. ???
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: wsantia1 on August 12, 2015, 12:36:53 PM

That's just the electric part. I also have propane delivered for the water heater and stove every other month. That varies between $150-250 depending.

wsantia1

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 12, 2015, 12:40:12 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on August 12, 2015, 12:36:53 PM

That's just the electric part. I also have propane delivered for the water heater and stove every other month. That varies between $150-250 depending.

My gas and water heater are included in that price. The gas and electric are one.
Willie

BillT

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

Why we don't get involved.....  He is speaking of Canada, but it is applicable here as well.

https://youtu.be/5Knz100ldLM

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Willie