• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 10:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Although I am strongly Democratic, I have in the past voted for various Republicans who seemed to make sense to me.

This is the situation I would prefer because there is greater choice and I like the idea of two different sides in a somewhat wavering balance with each other as the "pendulum" of who is in ascendancy goes from one side to the other. This has been destroyed by the take no prisoners, my side is always right, I don't have to consider your facts way of the media, especially Fox non-News.

Unfortunately, many of those Republicans that had more moderate views have been virtually driven away from the GOP by the extremists. Several of them are now Democrats. Jim Webb and another candidate (whose name I can't remember right now) are former Republicans running to be the Democratic candidate.

The Republicans party seems to be in a demographic trap right now.
They have a lot of older members with ideas not in tune with where the culture is going, that like to insult and discriminate against minority voters.
The older group will eventually die off, freeing them to a more rational course, but I would guess many of the minorities will remember the way they were treated for a while, until the GOP can recover its credibility with them.
This is something that is doable. In the early 60's, the situation with minorities was kind of reversed. The Republicans were fairly positive toward civil rights and southern Democrats were not. After Prez. Johnson did things like the voting rights act, and Prez. Nixon's team came up with their southern strategy, the south went from being the solid Democratic south to what is now a pretty solid Republican south. However, minority changes in the voters in the south are now changing that in places like Virginia and in a few years in other states.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on July 19, 2015, 01:38:43 PM
Although I am strongly Democratic, I have in the past voted for various Republicans who seemed to make sense to me.

This is the situation I would prefer because there is greater choice and I like the idea of two different sides in a somewhat wavering balance with each other as the "pendulum" of who is in ascendancy goes from one side to the other. This has been destroyed by the take no prisoners, my side is always right, I don't have to consider your facts way of the media, especially Fox non-News.

Unfortunately, many of those Republicans that had more moderate views have been virtually driven away from the GOP by the extremists. Several of them are now Democrats. Jim Webb and another candidate (whose name I can't remember right now) are former Republicans running to be the Democratic candidate.

The Republicans party seems to be in a demographic trap right now.
They have a lot of older members with ideas not in tune with where the culture is going, that like to insult and discriminate against minority voters.
The older group will eventually die off, freeing them to a more rational course, but I would guess many of the minorities will remember the way they were treated for a while, until the GOP can recover its credibility with them.
This is something that is doable. In the early 60's, the situation with minorities was kind of reversed. The Republicans were fairly positive toward civil rights and southern Democrats were not. After Prez. Johnson did things like the voting rights act, and Prez. Nixon's team came up with their southern strategy, the south went from being the solid Democratic south to what is now a pretty solid Republican south. However, minority changes in the voters in the south are now changing that in places like Virginia and in a few years in other states.
There are many younger minorities in the Republican party. The current contingent of possible candidates however is too far to the left for a Conservative however and they are losing their base voting block. Even me. I do like Cruz. And as I've said before I loved Jeb as Gov but would never vote for him in the primary. If he went up against Hillary I of course would have no choice but I would be holding the metaphorical nose while doing so.
The Republicans, the old school Republicans did everything they could for blacks of the time. The democrats just gave them free stuff.
Looking back through history I can't see any democrat I would have voted for POTUS save JFK. By today's standards he'd be a Republican. While everyone loves to say Reagan was always for lower taxes it was actually Kennedy's belief also. Way different from today's Democrat.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

There are many younger minorities in the Republican party.

Really? Name them (groups not individuals).

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Here is a link to an article on Nate Silver's 538 website about Trump and his apparent campaign strategy:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-the-worlds-greatest-troll/#ss-6

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on July 20, 2015, 10:02:30 PM
Here is a link to an article on Nate Silver's 538 website about Trump and his apparent campaign strategy:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-is-the-worlds-greatest-troll/#ss-6

...good find...... ;D...and yes he is.....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

GraphicGr8s

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BillT

QuoteHe's a secularist.

To a rationalist, this sounds like a compliment.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on July 21, 2015, 11:38:26 AM
QuoteHe's a secularist.

It's not.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 21, 2015, 12:19:41 PM
QuoteHe's a secularist.

It's not.
QuoteHe's a secularist.

LOL......good try 'G'.... ;D.....a compliment it is..... 8)
Jon

BillT

Quote from: BillT on Today at 08:38:26 AM

He's a secularist.

It's not.
Report to moderator   Logged

Thus spoke the Ayatollah.

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on July 21, 2015, 01:12:23 PM

He's a secularist.

It's not.

Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on July 21, 2015, 06:34:55 PM
Quote from: BillT on July 21, 2015, 01:12:23 PM

He's a secularist.

It's not.

Wait. Isn't it the Dems always blaming Bush for everything? Maybe they'd rather believe what comes from MSNBC.