• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 180
Total: 180

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 02:10:42 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on July 09, 2015, 12:37:54 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 11:56:07 AM
Quote from: b125killer on July 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM
Let us not forget the great salt debate!   :P

What is the "Great Salt Debate"?

LOL.....we had some real hard feelings about the use/need for salt..............it's a banned discussion now, so no repeats.....

as for politics, Clinton?.....it was just a comment, not an open volley in a debate............I feel the same about political discussions....they can go awry quickly and escalate into arguments that create unnecessary bad feelings amongst folks.....let's keep it casual, and neutral.....it's better that way....

Oh that salt debate. I wasn't sure if it was that or whether to soak your frozen bait in brine before putting it on the hook.

I have discussions with customers here at work on politics. Since it's in person I can usually tell if the other guy/gal will treat it just as a discussion albeit a heated one or not. All of the folks I discuss it with in person are pretty much my opposite politically. And after our "discussion" we shake hands or give each other a hug. 99% of them meet the unsweetened ice tea criteria.

I have 'face to face' discussions with folks too.....but the internet is a funny place when talking about anything political...and any other controversial topic....words typed are without the body, or facial, mannerisms that can tip you off when things are cool..or rapidly deteriorating.......and then there's semantics...or a pseudo feeling of superior.....knowing a person only by their handle can cause things to be said that you wouldn't normally say with someone standing in front of you.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

A bit of thoughtful disagreement leads to better ideas.  That's what I used to tell the other folks here on the town council.  These days no one wants to rock the boat, or heaven forbid, be politically incorrect.

I don't care if you agree with me or not.  Perhaps you have a better idea or great insight to share.  Let's hear it and we will go from there.  But it's a two way street.  Far too many folks take it personal when someone disagrees with them.

It's a testament to the quality of the folks we have here, that we can discuss timely issues without it getting out of hand.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:26:37 PM
A bit of thoughtful disagreement leads to better ideas.  That's what I used to tell the other folks here on the town council.  These days no one wants to rock the boat, or heaven forbid, be politically incorrect.

I don't care if you agree with me or not.  Perhaps you have a better idea or great insight to share.  Let's hear it and we will go from there.  But it's a two way street.  Far too many folks take it personal when someone disagrees with them.

It's a testament to the quality of the folks we have here, that we can discuss timely issues without it getting out of hand.

Dennis

I have the feeling that most, if not all here, would pass the Iced Tea Treaty Criteria. Unsweetened of course.

And I really don't like any of the candidates available to us now. Especially Jeb. He was a good governor but he would suck as POTUS.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

LOL  Yep, I could never figure out why Ron got so upset about it.  I don't think any of us cared any more about whether he used salt, that we did about what kind of car he drove.  I remember telling him sevral times that I hoped he had good luck with it, but that just seemed to make him more obsessed about it.

I see him selling cories on AquaBid from time to time.  I wonder if he salts them too?

Dennis

Mugwump

Dennis

Yes, it is.......we have a good group and we appreciate one another......remember tho, sometimes it's not the participants that get the ruffled feathers...it's the casual observer that gets offended....that's usually the way a melee gets started anyway.....

I guess that I'm overly cautious in that respect....that's all....like a mother hen, I don't want to see any hurt feelings....

...like I said, being 'face to face', or with a group of people is one thing......but being on the internet can be a whole different ball game where discussions are concerned....

..however, we seem to be handling it well so far......let's see what happens?....

Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:38:57 PM

LOL  Yep, I could never figure out why Ron got so upset about it.  I don't think any of us cared any more about whether he used salt, that we did about what kind of car he drove.  I remember telling him sevral times that I hoped he had good luck with it, but that just seemed to make him more obsessed about it.

I see him selling cories on AquaBid from time to time. I wonder if he salts them too?

Dennis

LOL............that's bad.....LOL
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 02:38:32 PM
And I really don't like any of the candidates available to us now.

That's really the problem isn't it.  I normally lean towards the Republicans as I've always thought the Democrats treated me as if I'm too stupid to look out for myself, but this last election......

Dennis

Mugwump

Dennis

I have the feeling that most, if not all here, would pass the Iced Tea Treaty Criteria. Unsweetened of course.

And I really don't like any of the candidates available to us now. Especially Jeb. He was a good governor but he would suck as POTUS.

I agree, there's slim pickings out there now....and Jeb?...what was he thinking when he tossed his hat in the ring.....Trump?...he's a carnival side show.....
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on July 09, 2015, 02:42:36 PM
I guess that I'm overly cautious in that respect....that's all....like a mother hen, I don't want to see any hurt feelings....

Well let me be the first to say, that you do a wonderful job of keeping us on the straight and narrow Jon.  Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:43:49 PM
And I really don't like any of the candidates available to us now.

That's really the problem isn't it.  I normally lean towards the Republicans as I've always thought the Democrats treated me as if I'm too stupid to look out for myself, but this last election......

Dennis

Amen. Unfortunately the repubicans <<sic>> are looking like democrat lite. They were handed a mandate last election and are pretty much rubberstamping (not that I mind rubber stamping I worked for a marking device manufacturer for 10 years) the opposition.

The only ones I see coming out are Ted Cruz and maybe, maybe Scott Walker. Walker has some beliefs that don't run concurrent with mine. Trump, while correct and outspoken and pretty fearless about it just isn't POTUS material. Jeb and Common Core and immigration take him out of the game for me. Anyone who is for Common Core or illegal immigration won't get my vote.

You ever take those tests on line to see which party you relate too? Seems I am more Libertarian than Conservative.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 09, 2015, 02:49:04 PM

Well let me be the first to say, that you do a wonderful job of keeping us on the straight and narrow Jon.  Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Dennis

Thanks.....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Dennis

Yes, it is.......we have a good group and we appreciate one another......remember tho, sometimes it's not the participants that get the ruffled feathers...it's the casual observer that gets offended....that's usually the way a melee gets started anyway.....

...like I said, being 'face to face', or with a group of people is one thing......but being on the internet can be a whole different ball game where discussions are concerned....

..however, we seem to be handling it well so far......let's see what happens?....

I think a lot of it stems from some people who attack the other person personally instead of the issue. I do my best whether F2F or on Facebook to not do that even though some of the others will. If I were attacking on a personal level that means no Unsweetened Ice Tea. I don't like that.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 02:57:17 PM

Dennis

I think a lot of it stems from some people who attack the other person personally instead of the issue. I do my best whether F@F or on Facebook to not do that even though some of the others will. If I were attacking on a personal level that means no Unsweetened Ice Tea. I don't like that.

Bingo.....ya nailed it.......it gets ugly quick after that...................
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Why the hell do I see the spelling mistake I make after someone quotes it? Arrrggghhhg