• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 09:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 276
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

One of Greece's bigger problems is they don't collect taxes well.....and those taxes are way too low in many areas....with not much money coming in, and an ineffective tax structure, they couldn't even hope to become solvent...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

That's why no one should loan them any more money that they can't/WON'T pay back.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on July 08, 2015, 12:54:51 PM
That's why no one should loan them any more money that they can't/WON'T pay back.

Actually I think they voted 'NO',... because they don't want any more money/control from anyone.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: Barb on July 07, 2015, 06:24:44 PM
Hearing what is going on there makes me want to keep a large stash of cash at home, just in case.  I can't imagine how awful it must be to have money in the bank and not have access to it for even the basics of life.  And it isn't like money in the bank is drawing any interest these days...
Barb
That's not a bad idea, Barb. I find it comforting. The question is, however, will that money be worth anything when the fall hits? I would love to hear thoughts on this...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on July 08, 2015, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: Barb on July 07, 2015, 06:24:44 PM
Hearing what is going on there makes me want to keep a large stash of cash at home, just in case.  I can't imagine how awful it must be to have money in the bank and not have access to it for even the basics of life.  And it isn't like money in the bank is drawing any interest these days...
Barb
That's not a bad idea, Barb. I find it comforting. The question is, however, will that money be worth anything when the fall hits? I would love to hear thoughts on this...

..if it ever should hit....better have some survival skills.....or Ron, you got 'duckie'.... ;D....stock up..
Jon

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on July 07, 2015, 02:52:09 PM
Jan. 8, 1835 was the last time the United States had - or came anywhere near a national debt of $0.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2223792/data-center/178-years-ago-today-we-had-a-national-debt-of--0.html

Is China about to overtake the US as the world?s superpower?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/is-china-about-to-overtake-the-us-as-the-worlds-superpower/story-e6frflo9-1227125853817

Dennis

The latest from China....

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/07/08/market-wrap-stocks-end-sharply-lower-china-fears-nyse-shutdown/

""Chinese shares have fallen more than 30 percent in the last three weeks, and some investors fear China's turmoil is now a bigger risk than the crisis in Greece.

"I don't think the Greece situation is a focus in the markets beyond the short term," said Tim Ghriskey, chief investment officer of Solaris Group in Bedford Hills, New York. "This is really about China where the sell-off continues unabated despite efforts by People's Bank of China to halt this."""

Jon

BillT

QuoteThe Clinton "surplus" is in fact a myth dealing with fuzzy math and accounting sleight of hand.

This would be a difficult statement to support this statement with any kind of reputable source.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on July 09, 2015, 09:41:45 AM
QuoteThe Clinton "surplus" is in fact a myth dealing with fuzzy math and accounting sleight of hand.

This would be a difficult statement to support this statement with any kind of reputable source.

All depends on which "side" you choose to believe. Either way, none of the "surplus" would have occurred if Clinton were left to his ways. Clinton in effect became irrelevant after 92.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 10:42:38 AM

All depends on which "side" you choose to believe. Either way, none of the "surplus" would have occurred if Clinton were left to his ways. Clinton in effect became irrelevant after 92.

Au Contraire..........Clinton did a fine job in office. It was Bush that gave it all back......and we're just starting to recover now....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on July 09, 2015, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 10:42:38 AM

Au Contraire..........Clinton did a fine job in office. It was Bush that gave it all back......and we're just starting to recover now....

I thought you didn't get political Jon. You just opened up a can of worms. Would you like the rhetoric or just the facts? Or will this get closed?
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

b125killer

Let us not forget the great salt debate!   :P
Scott

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: b125killer on July 09, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

What is the "Great Salt Debate"?

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 11:56:07 AM

LOL.....we had some real hard feelings about the use/need for salt..............it's a banned discussion now, so no repeats.....

as for politics, Clinton?.....it was just a comment, not an open volley in a debate............I feel the same about political discussions....they can go awry quickly and escalate into arguments that create unnecessary bad feelings amongst folks.....let's keep it casual, and neutral.....it's better that way....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on July 09, 2015, 12:37:54 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on July 09, 2015, 11:56:07 AM

LOL.....we had some real hard feelings about the use/need for salt..............it's a banned discussion now, so no repeats.....

as for politics, Clinton?.....it was just a comment, not an open volley in a debate............I feel the same about political discussions....they can go awry quickly and escalate into arguments that create unnecessary bad feelings amongst folks.....let's keep it casual, and neutral.....it's better that way....

Oh that salt debate. I wasn't sure if it was that or whether to soak your frozen bait in brine before putting it on the hook.

I have discussions with customers here at work on politics. Since it's in person I can usually tell if the other guy/gal will treat it just as a discussion albeit a heated one or not. All of the folks I discuss it with in person are pretty much my opposite politically. And after our "discussion" we shake hands or give each other a hug. 99% of them meet the unsweetened ice tea criteria.

ghonk