• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Thanks Dennis

Started by LizStreithorst, May 01, 2015, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Got my daphnia culture to day.  I sure do hope I can keep them alive.  I know they'll make a great food.  I have their tank covered with a piece of egg crate so the froggies don't beat me to them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

You are very welcome Liz.  Best of luck with them!

When I first started with them, my biggest problem was that I didn't harvest enough.  I would think..... if I just wait another day or two I'll have lots and lots and then they would crash and burn.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I have them outside in a 10 gallon.  They're in green water that is also kind of brown (tannin's I guess)  I gave them a pinch of your food because I didn't know to mix it with water first and shoot it in with the pipette.  They have almost all shade with a bit of sun in the pm.  I have a spare 30 that I can move them to if they reproduce well.

I think I'm spooky  because a guy gave me some when I was living in Mobile.  They were in the shade but died when it got hot.  He didn't tell me they needed an air stone.  He didn't even tell me that then needed food although I put in some flieshmans's yeast.  I thought that they could fend for themselves like mosquito larvae ::)

I'll keep a close eye on them and perhaps I'll be able to harvest some in a week or so (or perhaps I'll kill them)  Do you use a turkey baster to harvest?  What was in the food you sent?  It was more than powdered algae.   

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 01, 2015, 05:08:14 PM
Do you use a turkey baster to harvest?

I do a water change and harvest all at the same time.  This video shows filtering the old tank water through a seive to collect the daphnia.

https://youtu.be/ZKe1o7jTEF4

What was in the food you sent?  It was more than powdered algae.

It's three parts yeast, one part green pea flour, one part spirulina algae, and one part chlorella algae.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 01, 2015, 05:35:11 PM
Do you use a turkey baster to harvest?

I do a water change and harvest all at the same time.  This video shows filtering the old tank water through a seive to collect the daphnia.

https://youtu.be/ZKe1o7jTEF4

What was in the food you sent?  It was more than powdered algae.

OMG, what a ton of them.  They all look huge!

It's three parts yeast, one part green pea flour, one part spirulina algae, and one part chlorella algae.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I did a WC yesterday and gave them a good feeding.  I collected enough from the water change to the fine net to give my fry a bit of a treat.  When I checked the culture this morning I saw lots of daphenia.  Progress is being made!

BallAquatics

That's wonderful news Liz.  I knew you could do it!

I would suggest that you start another 10 gallon tank just for a back-up in case one culture crashes.  I ended up with 4 ten gallon tanks that way I can harvest every day.

Isn't it cool how the fish go after them.  It triggers a feeding response in their tiny brains and off they go..... like a dog can't resist chasing after things.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

That one of the reasons that live food is the best food.

Not sure what I'll do when it gets really hot here.  I guess I'll have to move them inside where I have AC.  I have a very large bathroom.  I could put them there.

LizStreithorst

I just dipped the net in the culture and pulled out a ton of daphenia which I fed to my 6 juvie Discus.  The Discus didn't know what to do with them at first ::)  Then they attacked them and spit them out. then they went into a feeding frenzy ;D ;D ;D  There were some that were too small for them for them.  Those I netted out and fed to my young Angel fry.  The Angles had no problem figuring out what they were for.

I got so many from that one swipe that I decided to start another culture as Dennis suggested.  I put this one on the floor in the bathroom because soon enough it will be hot here.  I put in the green water and added the food as Dennis instructed then took another dip of the net into the first culture and moved them to their new home.  I didn't get as many from the second dip so I'll leave the little guys alone alone for a week so they can breed in peace.
'

BallAquatics

Thanks for the update Liz.  I can't tell you how happy I am that they are doing so well for you.   ;)

Dennis