• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

My Laetacara araguaiae ("Buckelkopf")

Started by Ron Sower, April 29, 2015, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Several weeks ago on my trip to Portland to The Wet Spot, I brought back a pair of Laetacara araguaiae ("Buckelkopf"). Nothing has happened with them until yesterday, other than the male was aggressive to the female, always keeping her in the background in the plants if she got in his line of sight.

Last night we were watching TV in the den (NCIS, of course!) and I looked over and the 2 fish were side-by-side staring out at us! They hovered tgether mid-tank for awhile. Then she headed back into the bush and he followed. Later Miss Lucy saw them out and about and they were doing the ''shimmy-dance'' side-by-side. Their lights will come on at about 7:45....I'm eager to see what they're up to today.

This is a small cichlid....''Known from the rios Tapaj?s, Xingu and Tocantins, all of which are right-bank tributaries of the lower Amazon basin in Brazil, with some populations exhibiting differences in colour pattern to one another.''...from seriouslyfsh.com.

I got them for my community tank because they are a smaller cichlid, I don't know anyone in the club with them, and they're known to be low in inter-specific aggression.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

;D....now that would be nice... ;D   good luck ! 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Lights just came on. Now to observe for a bit....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Ron Sower

Wellllll......back to their normal behavior.  He's chasing her into the bush again today. Lover's quarrel, maybe?  Or just a redneck male?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on April 29, 2015, 10:34:33 AM
Wellllll......back to their normal behavior.  He's chasing her into the bush again today. Lover's quarrel, maybe?  Or just a redneck male?

Whoops....... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson