• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,250
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 140
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

airline trick

Started by BillT, April 27, 2015, 11:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

It annoys me that I have to disassemble sponge filters and box filters just to unclog their airlifts. I'm lazy.

My work around is to push a stiff airline tubing (attached to normal airline tubing) down the airlift tube itself (into the box filter or sponge filter).
The stiff airline has to be long enough so that its weight will hold it down against the up;welling water and air itself and so it doesn't float up.

The only negative to this approach I can think of would be the reduction of the airlift tubing cross section, but this is rather small.

Unclogging the airlift when the bubbling slows down is now much simplified:
When the air flow slows, just pull up the stiff airline tubing, poke it with an appropriately sized wire, and stick it back down the airlift tube.

This is a box filter, which I put a larger lift tube on to get greater flow (its like a small power head). The stiff airline tubing goes down both the large tube and the smaller one in the box filter.

This is a similarly constructed filter I made for a Moina (small Daphnia) tub I am setting up. Both the box filter and the pond filter use lava rack as media.