• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 04:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 267
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

3D background

Started by b125killer, March 28, 2015, 06:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Impressive job.
How are you gluing the styrofoam together?

b125killer

Thanks Bill, I'm using silicone to glue everything together. 
Scott

b125killer

As I was test fitting the background I was thinking that I need to make the overflow longer and probably visible. The way it is now the water level will need to be up over the trim of the tank for it to work. it looks good this way but not practical.

Scott

b125killer

I think I'm happy with everything, now I'll start the cement covering and coloring.

I cut the overflow deeper and on both sides, now water can flow into the back chamber.

Water will go over the top of the first chamber into the media chamber, probably have some ceramic rings, bio balls, sponges, and filter floss.

this is the last two chambers, I separated the waterfall from the filter chamber. I don't want the filter flow to interrupt the waterfall. the last filter chamber will have the return pump and heater. you can also see the mechanical workings for the waterfall. I also got the screen on to stop fish from getting behind the falls. I need to drill the hole in the pvc and run an air stone to the bottom. It should work like the sponge filters. only it will lift sand with the water. 

If you can think of something I might need or I'm missing please fell free to let me know. This is the first time I made a filter system and don't want to miss anything. also not sure on what size pump i should get.
Scott

BillT

If I were doing this, I would want to make sure future maintenance is as easy as possible.
I would try to put any loose media in a bag or a canister-like thing so it could be easily removed and cleaned.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on April 05, 2015, 02:17:43 PM
If I were doing this, I would want to make sure future maintenance is as easy as possible.
I would try to put any loose media in a bag or a canister-like thing so it could be easily removed and cleaned.

good idea......or something like the plastic strawberry baskets.....easy to fill and put in/lift out...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

The shelving things are only held in by pressure from the Styrofoam. I was thinking of just letting it set right on the filter media. and the media was going to be in filter bags. I'm sure it will need to be trimmed to fit again after the cement is dry. I did make sure I can fit my hand behind the filter also, it's tight but I can get everything out.

There's a few spots that need to be touched up, it's pretty much done. I still need to let it cure. I did it last night and it still a little soft. It also cracked some, when I went to move it. I hope that was just from it being soft.

Scott

wsantia1

Quote from: b125killer on April 06, 2015, 07:00:20 PM
The shelving things are only held in by pressure from the Styrofoam. I was thinking of just letting it set right on the filter media. and the media was going to be in filter bags. I'm sure it will need to be trimmed to fit again after the cement is dry. I did make sure I can fit my hand behind the filter also, it's tight but I can get everything out.

There's a few spots that need to be touched up, it's pretty much done. I still need to let it cure. I did it last night and it still a little soft. It also cracked some, when I went to move it. I hope that was just from it being soft.

That looks real impressive Scott. Great job. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

Looks great!

Can't say I understand what the waterfall is doing underwater, maybe its Bikini Bottom (where Sponge Bob lives - normal physics does not apply).

How did you finish it?

Mugwump

Looks spectacular, Scott...great job !!.....how much weight did the cement coating add to it..??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Thanks guy's, I finished it with cement, I colored the cement as I went along the way. I just added diffrent amount of coloring when I refilled the cement container. The cement added a lot of weight. I used about 10 pounds of cement.  I know it won't float anymore.

Bill It's more accurate to call it a sandfall. I seen it on Facebook and wanted to try it. I have been thinking of making a 3d background for sometime. and figured why not put a waterfall in it. if it doesn't work out I can always take it off the background and put another rock wall in.
Scott

GraphicGr8s

That's nice. Super nice. Wish I had that talent. My background is still in the garage as slabs of styrofoam.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

b125killer

Thanks guy's, it really wasn't hard to carve it. The cement was a little tricky. I made a lot of small spots that i had to use my hands to get the cement in. I had cement everywhere. I'm a little surprised how the cement color turned out. I wasn't sure how it would look. I'm going to let it cure for a long time before i put it in the tank.
Scott

PaulineMi

A talented man you are! That is so cool. Can't wait to see it up and running.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)