• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 08:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 182
Total: 182

3D background

Started by b125killer, March 28, 2015, 06:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

Here is the start of the 3D background with a "waterfall". It doesn't look like much, this is just a start. At least I can't really mess it up. I need to decide if I want to do a boulder look or a stacked slate. I was leaning to the slate look. I'm also going to make a few BN caves in it. All the life support for the tank will be behind the background too. I need to carve incoming and outgoing water spots for water circulation. I'm going to run a Hot mag on this tank with a small sponge filter behind the falls. I also have some screen That the sand can sift through for the falls. that way fish cant get behind there.

Scott

wsantia1

Scott, it looks and sounds very challenging. Please continue to update us on your progress. I am sure you'll do a great job. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

This is going to be an interesting thread to follow.  Glad you're sharing your journal with us.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Is there a template that you're using for a guide??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm  following, The King of DIY (uarujoey) for the waterfall. https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey The rest I'm making up as I go along.
I have decided to go a easier route for the rock work. This being my first try at anything like it, I didn't want to spend hours trying to make small pieces of slate out of foam and not like it. I got it test fitted in the tank next I'm going to make a pleco cave in the flat corner side and finish the rock work. I also need to find a way to hide the holes for the filter tubes. I'm thinking of making a rock and drilling smaller holes in that.   

Scott

Mugwump

...could you somehow work/rig a Hamburg Matten type filter hidden behind it instead??....no lift tubes
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 01, 2015, 07:03:20 AM
It looks good to me. ;D ;D ;D

Yes, it does....can't wait to see it and running.. ;D   
Jon

b125killer

Thanks guy's,  i think that im going to scrap the hot mag and do a internal filter, not of a Hamburg filter. I do have a few things in mind. There's only going to be a few inches of clearance between the wall and tank. I'm thinking of doing chambers and making a trickle filter. That way everthing can stay in the tank. I'm going to make a overflow i can hide behind a rock and put the return behind or in the side of the waterfall.  Then i can use a power head to move the water.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on April 01, 2015, 09:40:28 AM
Thanks guy's,  i think that im going to scrap the hot mag and do a internal filter, not of a Hamburg filter. I do have a few things in mind. There's only going to be a few inches of clearance between the wall and tank. I'm thinking of doing chambers and making a trickle filter. That way everthing can stay in the tank. I'm going to make a overflow i can hide behind a rock and put the return behind or in the side of the waterfall.  Then i can use a power head to move the water.

You talking about a sump??.....you'll need something to hold the bio...??
Jon

JR

Looks real nice. I am to lazy to try and make one.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

PaulineMi

That sure looks good...especially nice for a first attempt.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

I think that most of the carving is done. I relocated the filter and hid a pleco cave in it to.

This is the back of the first chamber. the water will flow in from a hidden overflow. It will be sealed from the main tank. The pleco cave is behind here too.  I was thinking of drilling a hole in the top of it and putting a air line in it so I can get the air out of it once it's submerged.

This is the main filter chamber the water will go over the baffle and filter down through the filter media. I think I have lighting baffles I can make removable shelving for this chamber.

This is the last chamber. Water will flow from under the last baffle then returned to the main tank with a return pump.  It will house the plumbing for the waterfall and I might put the heater in this chamber. I was almost thinking of making the waterfall its own chamber. I'm not sure what the added water flow from behind the background will do to the falls. 

Next step is getting some cement and covering the hole thing. I'm going to try and use different cement tints to create a real looking rock.
after that I will fill the tank and keep doing water changes until the ph is normal. I heard that the cement will spike the ph.
Scott

Mugwump

You've done your research well. It looks well thought out and constructed, Nice job. I can't wait to see it going now.... ;D

and thanks for putting up your 'build' log with pics etc....when you get done...you can come down and help me do the 150... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

b125killer

Doing a 150 will be a lot of work. I'm surprised by the mess I made doing a 40. I didn't show that part, I'm game if you are. Instead of rock we could do a root system. I can see it now, it would look awesome! ;D

I'm happy to share me experiment with the group. It really wasn't that hard of a build once I figured out what I wanted to do. This is only the first part. I still need to finish it and probably the harder part of setting everything up and getting the waterfall to work right. I'm sure if it's not done correctly it will look funny.   
Scott