• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 04:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 135
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

Why is Windows such a PITA

Started by BallAquatics, March 17, 2015, 07:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

On November 20th Windows is going to be 30 years old, yet with each new version it seems to get worst not better.  Why is it, that Windows is such a PITA to update???

With Linux, which is 6 years younger than Windows, you just check for updates, it tells you if there are any, and if there are you install them and go on your way in about 2 minutes time.  Also about 99 times out of 100 you DO NOT need to shut-down & re-start.

At any rate, I needed to fire up a Windows box for some reason and it's been so long waiting for this update to complete that I've forgot what it was now!!!  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 17, 2015, 07:25:39 PM
On November 20th Windows is going to be 30 years old, yet with each new version it seems to get worst not better.  Why is it, that Windows is such a PITA to update???

With Linux, which is 6 years younger than Windows, you just check for updates, it tells you if there are any, and if there are you install them and go on your way in about 2 minutes time.  Also about 99 times out of 100 you DO NOT need to shut-down & re-start.

At any rate, I needed to fire up a Windows box for some reason and it's been so long waiting for this update to complete that I've forgot what it was now!!!  LOL

Dennis

LOL....Win-doze strikes again.....actually when it's hitting on all cylinders, it's not bad....note tho, I haven't used 'Explorer' in many, many years..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 17, 2015, 07:25:39 PM

Dennis

lol. I have a couple of windoze boxes that I need to start up if I can ever get situated here. I know those updates are going to go on all night. And don't forget about the updates to the updates. ???
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

GraphicGr8s

I run CS 4 illustrator, PS and Indesign at the same time on an XP box. I get about the same amount of crashes as a sMacs so really there is no perfect system.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

I can't remember the last time my Debian system crashed.  With the 2 dual-core Xeon processors Debian see it as 4 separate 3.6GHz systems, one for each desk-top!!!

On a typical work day I'll run web browsers on desktop #1.  Filezilla FTP client on desktop #2.  Leave desktop #3 open for misc apps.  Run a LAMP stack local web-dev server system on desktop #4.

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Bye, bye Internet Explorer...that's that good news...the bad news is that it will be in Win10....oh boy, out of the pan and into the.....???  I hope that there's more to the rehab for Win 8 than that....??

Jon

GraphicGr8s

There are better browsers as all  know. I used IE only once on each system. To download FF or Chrome. Neither is perfect of course better is way better than IE.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

Yea, I think the IT community left IE sometime after version 6.....  I use a version of Chrome most of the time just because of it's enhanced abilities with Google Apps.  As a web developer though, I check sites with IE, Safari, Opera, FireFox/Iceweasel, Chrome, and the Android browser.

Dennis

Mugwump

What's your opinion on 'IceCat'....formerly known as 'IceWeasel'..?? Is it nothing more than a Firefox clone....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat
Jon

BallAquatics

They are basically the same, except the Debian version does not contain any NON-FREE code.  It's also rated as a bit more secure.  I haven't noticed any big differance in either of them, Iceweasel in Debian / FireFox in Windows.

Dennis