• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:52:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,249
  • Total Topics: 18,510
  • Online today: 163
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 158
Total: 159

Vinegar eels

Started by LizStreithorst, March 08, 2015, 03:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have read about them.  They say that they're easy peasy, just keep them in a cool place.  What do they consider cool?  My problem with everything live other than BBS is that I don't turn the AC on until the temps don't drop below 86 at night.  Until then I just open windows and rely on fans.  It's comfortable to me.  Is that comfortable for vinegar eels?
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I wouldn't think so...but never had em at that high a temp....???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Moina (small Daphnia) would thrive at that temperature.

Don't know about the worms.

I have kept vinegar eels, mircoworms and Walter worms.

I consider vinegar eels not a great culture organism. For me, they were rather slow growing and did not get to really high concentrations. Perhaps wrong temp.

The other worms grow much faster to higher concentrations (so I can harvest more). I grow them between 60's and 90+ degrees. However, they both sink to the bottom, unlike vinegar. Walter worms can live about a week in the water. Microworms die in a day or two.

Mugwump

Our Vinegar eels (gal glass jar) grow like weeds, and replenish real quick. I keep them on a shelf in the furnace room, which is dark......just toss in a slice of apple....Boomba......

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I have never tried Vinegar eels before.