• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

New Laptop

Started by b125killer, March 07, 2015, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I wasn't planing on getting a new laptop. It just kind of happened  that way. The monitor on our old one is going out. it was going to cost more to fix it then the thing was worth. So now I have a new one. it's just a basic laptop nothing too fancy. the only thing I wanted was another Asus. I really like the company. My first computer that I built was mostly Asus. I also vowed never to get another HP product as long as I live!
Scott

BallAquatics

I've built my fair share of computers using Asus motherboards.  I can remember soldering jumpers on P/I-P55TP4N boards to over-clock them. For Pentium II boards I used P2B & P2B-B, socket 7 boards I used P5A & P5A-B boards, servers using A7V-133 boards, Pentium 4's using P4B boards.  After that I stopped building and switched to using IBM's that I got off lease for pennies on the dollar.

Asus makes fine computer products.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Nice Scott..............Win 8..???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

greydragon

i need a new laptop as mine has died the cursor wont move i have tried everything i could find online to fix it but it is just dead

Mugwump

Quote from: greydragon on March 07, 2015, 06:41:12 PM
i need a new laptop as mine has died the cursor wont move i have tried everything i could find online to fix it but it is just dead

...battery in your wireless mouse???.....clean ball in old style??.....try your mouse on another computer yet??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

greydragon

its the mouse in the laptop that dont work.i also moved a mouse from my older computer to see if that would work but alass no joy

JR

Scott why don't you like HP? My old hp is 12 years old and still works. The new HP I have works great very happy with it. The one I hate is Dell had 3 of them in two year. Throw the last one out the back door.  I was so mad at it told myself I would never buy another one.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

b125killer

A few years back I had a HP laptop that I spent way to much money on. It was top of the line for the time. I loved that machine. It could handle anything I asked it to do. A week after the warranty ran out the motherboard crashed. I called hp about it and they said they would fix it for $500 dollars. After that I was reading about the same model having problems with the board and hp wouldn't acknowledged there was a problem. It pissed me off that the thing crashed after a year and one week and hp wanted to charge that much to fix it. I was finding them on ebay for less then that. Almost dirt cheap if I wanted to replace the board myself. After that I vowed I wouldn't own anything hp. and to this day there's nothing in my house that has hp on it. I wouldn't own a Dell either. I was warned about them a long time ago. I was sad and disappointed when I found out Dell purchased Alienware.
I'm not to sure about win 8. I need to play with it some more. So far Michelle loves it. When does win 10 come out? I do need to upgrade the OS on my desktop. just not sure what I want to put on it yet.       
Scott

ilroost

Just hate windows8. I think it is just to technical for my mind lol

b125killer

There does seem to be a lot of unnecessary stuff all over it. I'm sure win 10 won't be much different.   
Scott

Mugwump

Now see, I've have been getting Dell's for about 25yrs.....never had any problems...it's software and users that screw up machines...and lack of good virus protection......it's like are Fords bad because you crash them a lot, and not Chevy's......
Jon

LizStreithorst

I hate windows 8 as well.  It's hard and full of useless stuff.  They say that windows 10 will be wonderful.  I'll believe it when I see it.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

In am not a fan of either HP or Dell. Had hardware problems with both. My HP All in One printer stopped scanning just when I needed to scan something critical for the closing of my house. >:(

The best computer I've had is the one I built with mostly ASUS parts. That thing can handle just about anything.  My laptop is an acer. It works great after 5 years. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Quote from: wsantia1 on March 08, 2015, 02:35:22 PM
My laptop is an acer. It works great after 5 years. ;D ;D ;D

I don't use a laptop but that's what I recommend.  Acer makes a good computer system with very good restore features when things , (Windoze), goes bad.

Dennis