• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 08:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 130
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 158
Total: 158

Next project

Started by LizStreithorst, February 10, 2015, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I need to hard plumb 4 more tanks.  I bought the PVC and fittings yesterday at Home Depot.  I didn't buy the valves there because my local hardware store has ball valves with blue handles and all my other tanks have the blue ones.  My store had valves that are somewhat different from the ball valves I've seen in the past.  They are easy to turn.  They cost more but anything that saves my hands is worth it's weight.  I wish I'd known that this type of valve existed before I glued 17 of the hard turning ones in place when I hard plumbed the fish room.

Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

I have been there.
Some turn more easily which is good for making fine adjustments.

Now that you know there are different kinds you can test them before buying.

There are lots of companies making ball valves at lots of different prices.
If you find an obscure kind you like you could get them on line.

LizStreithorst

I feel so old.  I started yesterday evening post nap and will finish this evening in time for normal WC.  But all the up and down and twisting and leaning in strange positions has my body complaining.  It sure is easier to plumb when the tanks aren't in place and you can get to things easily.  Just one more tank to do, but I have to put in a Tee and go around a corner.  At least it's on the top rack so more scrunching my body into a place it doesn't want to fit.

Mugwump

...Sounds like you've been busy, Liz....when you're done, kick back with a cold one and snap a few pics......a hot bath and you'll sleep like a baby....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

All done thank God (except clean up).  It's hardly worth a pic but I'll snap one tomorrow.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 13, 2015, 05:53:06 PM
All done thank God (except clean up).  It's hardly worth a pic but I'll snap one tomorrow.

I wanna see your valves ...LOL...are they same as before, or like the easier ones discussed??......I may be adding some fill pipe to try out.....if I do, I'll need a bigger pump for sure....or I may just go with a common drain line for sections of the room...??...I can maybe drain from either end, but it's a problem in the middle..unless I can somehow split the room 50/50 in either direction??......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Seeing my new valves isn't that exciting.  Turning them on is what will knock your socks off. 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 13, 2015, 07:20:38 PM
Seeing my new valves isn't that exciting.  Turning them on is what will knock your socks off.

OOOOOoooooooooooooooooookay.... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

This is a pic of my little project hard plumbing 5 tanks.  Is this what you wanted to see, Mug?  Or did you want to see a pic of the hard valves and easy valves side by side?  Or did you want to see how it all hooked up to the big water storage container and the in line pump?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 15, 2015, 02:50:23 PM
This is a pic of my little project hard plumbing 5 tanks.  Is this what you wanted to see, Mug?  Or did you want to see a pic of the hard valves and easy valves side by side?  Or did you want to see how it all hooked up to the big water storage container and the in line pump?

The blue handles are the new valves, right?...the Storage container pumps it up and over to all the tanks....cool...  Did you have to cut to add any 'T's..??.....or is the whole thing new?.....I see on your far right that you added a valve at the end......is that to allow additional water line for possible expansion in the future ??....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Yes and Yes.  The new blue valves are easier to turn than my old blue valves.  I'll take a pic of the 2 types side by side if you like.

The valve to the far right dumps into the 75 gallon behind the sofa.

Everything was already hard plumbed except those 5 tanks.  I started back where you see the connector in the upper left.  The jop needed lots of T's and L's.  It was a fun job except for the squating and bending and reaching, and getting up after having been flat on my back drilling pipe straps in place.  In otherwords, my old body ain't what it used to be.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 15, 2015, 03:25:24 PM
Yes and Yes.  The new blue valves are easier to turn than my old blue valves.  I'll take a pic of the 2 types side by side if you like.

The valve to the far right dumps into the 75 gallon behind the sofa.

Everything was already hard plumbed except those 5 tanks.  I started back where you see the connector in the upper left.  The jop needed lots of T's and L's.  It was a fun job except for the squating and bending and reaching, and getting up after having been flat on my back drilling pipe straps in place.  In otherwords, my old body ain't what it used to be.

Cool...good job....where did you get that 75 white trimmed???....nice
Jon

LizStreithorst

The 75 was a gift from a customer.  It was their son's tank long ago and was sitting empty in their garage taking up space.  I resiliconed it, of course.  The trim is aluminum.  I asked if it was a home made tank, but they didn't know ::)  I've never seen a tank like it.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 15, 2015, 03:59:08 PM
The 75 was a gift from a customer.  It was their son's tank long ago and was sitting empty in their garage taking up space.  I resiliconed it, of course.  The trim is aluminum.  I asked if it was a home made tank, but they didn't know ::)  I've never seen a tank like it.

It is nice....and metal would have been my next guess....couldn't tell if the flash did that or not.....a very great looking tank...LED light with the blue moon light turned would make it nice too....
Jon