• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 03:40:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 202
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 206
Total: 206

Finally gut my guts up

Started by LizStreithorst, February 01, 2015, 04:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've mentioned that I have a 120 that's been sitting on the floor of my fish room for 'bout ever.  I got 2 of these tanks for free over a year ago.  I replaced the glass on both.  One is still holding water just fine.  The other sprung a leak and I fixed it 2 more times after that and each time it failed after a few weeks or a few months. 

Then I got disguted with it and just let it sit empty in my way until I decided to tackle it for the 4th and last time.  This time, I took out the leaking side and checked the glass for square.  It was square.  Then I examined the edges of the glass.  I saw that one side was cut a little soft...not beveld, but not really square.

This time, after cleaning the glass to within and inch of it's life, I put the other side toward the inside of the tank.  I made sure I did everything as perfectly as I possibly could.  I know that my silicone job should be more tidy, but mine always looks like that.  If it springs a leak this time I have a neighbor who wants a big tank.  I'll give it to her and let her either either fix it or deal with the frustration of it whupping her arse.

How long do y'all suggest I let the silicone cure before I fill it?  I was thinking that 72 hrs would be more than long enough.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I always do 24 hours at a minimum.....  Once it's fully cured there's no benefit to be had by waiting longer.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on February 01, 2015, 04:11:51 PM
I always do 24 hours at a minimum.....  Once it's fully cured there's no benefit to be had by waiting longer.

Dennis

I agree...after 24hrs it's pretty much set.......good luck, Liz.......it'll work good this time.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I always thought 24 hrs, too but I've got the fear.  It will have to sit empty for a bit longer.  I need to be a stand home from the shop that I have stuffed puppies on now, buy a decent loveseat to put in it's place, and find a big strong fella to help me put the tank in place.  I believe that it will work this time, too. 

b125killer

Good luck with it Liz. It looks like you did a good job on it.
Scott

LizStreithorst

It's been running for a week with fish in it.  So far so good.  I 'bout knocked myself out getting the stand from the shop home, getting it in place and setting a tank on it.  I must have thought I was gonna set a house on that stand when I built it.  It was that heavy.  It fit in place by a hair.  I had to pull off some trim on the stand next to it to make it go. 

I was able to do it all without a big strong guy.   I moved a 75 which was on a bottom rack and put it up on the stand from the shop.  That let me put the heavy 120 on a bottom rack.  I ached for 2 days :-[  I'm long past the days when jobs like those would have been all in a day's work, but I got 'er done ;)

Mugwump

Neato......the tank lives again..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

That is great Liz. ;D wish you much luck with that tank.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.