• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 06:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Little Problem.

Started by b125killer, December 28, 2014, 03:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I was cleaning the tank and found a potential problem. there is cracks all along the outside edge of the bottom glass. I didn't get to see the bottom that well when I picked up the tank. The guy had it full of water and fish. He did tell me it was re-sealed. But i didn't see the cracks until I was cleaning the tank. I there is a 2" strip of glass all the way around the tank that is siliconed on the top and bottom to "fix" the problem. I'm not sure that it's enough to fix such a problem.
Now I'm faced with a few questions of what to do.
1) I could put some water in there and see what happens. If it doesn't leak I could fill the rest and wait to see if it leaks. I'm not sure of this option. It might hold for a life time it might leak in a month.
2) Replace the glass. That's probably not really a good option. the cost of that bottom glass is going to cost a few hundred to replace. It has the curved corners That need to be custom cut. I would also need to break down the tank completely and re-seal everything.
3) Sell off everything. I'm deeply considering this option. I already have one filter sold and the light sold. If I can sell the other filter for 50 and the tank as a reptile tank for 150 I'll break even with what I payed. I'll be right back where I started and probably get a new 125g after I sold everything.
I'm so depressed on this tank. I do like the look of it. If I knew for sure it would hold I wouldn't do anything with it. I just don't know if the strip of glass covering the cracks is a good fix for the problem.
Scott

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Well that sucks.....I know folks that silicone glass panes over cracks, and have no further issues...but it's your tank and your decision whether to recaulk it all..over the patches too........or not....me?? I think it'll make a great reptile tank !!!!.....ask Steve if those big sizes sell for that use....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Sorry to hear that Scott.  I would not feel comfortable with that tank holding up. Hopefully you can recoup that money you laid out.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

I talked to a friend that has more experience in these things. He said as long as the strips are completely covering the cracks it will be fine. He said his 220g is like that. He said the silicon was a sloppy. I also told him I did see it filled with water and fish. I think I'm going to put water in it and see what happens.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on December 28, 2014, 06:11:54 PM
I talked to a friend that has more experience in these things. He said as long as the strips are completely covering the cracks it will be fine. He said his 220g is like that. He said the silicon was a sloppy. I also told him I did see it filled with water and fish. I think I'm going to put water in it and see what happens.

cue 'Jaws' theme.......bump bump bump..... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

I have never seen anything like that before,i personally wouldn't trust it.

b125killer

I finished  cleaning  it. I found signs that they sandwiched silicon between the glass and strips. I'm still thinking of putting a few inches of water in there. They did have water in it before I got the tank. I have another friend Dan. He has taken apart and put back together alot of tanks. He might even have glass for it. I trust him, he'll let me know if it's safe or what I should do to fix it.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on December 28, 2014, 09:19:33 PM
I finished  cleaning  it. I found signs that they sandwiched silicon between the glass and strips. I'm still thinking of putting a few inches of water in there. They did have water in it before I got the tank. I have another friend Dan. He has taken apart and put back together alot of tanks. He might even have glass for it. I trust him, he'll let me know if it's safe or what I should do to fix it.

Dan's the plan, man..... ;D
Jon

b125killer

Dan came and looked at it. He said it looks like stress fractures. and that the way it was fixed will be fine. He also has glass that I can use to replace it. But we don't really want to go that way. He was thinking that the tank might be a custom tank. I know I haven't see a tank like it. and the way the frame is it will be hard to take it apart and put back together. the frame isn't one sold piece. the top and bottom are separate pieces that are fixed together somehow. So I guess I'll put water in it and see what happens. 
Scott

Mugwump

Jon

Barb

And can you do it outside?  Just in case...
Barb

Mugwump

Quote from: Barb on December 29, 2014, 02:52:50 PM
And can you do it outside?  Just in case...
Barb

What????...and no adventure....?? he he
Jon

b125killer

I wish I could, This tank weighs around 300 pounds empty. it's not something I can just bring outside that easily. I'll put a few inches of water in there, give it some time and see what happens. If that goes well I'll fill it and see how that goes. I'll keep a close eye on it. at least it is in the lower level, there's no carpet or anything that can get damaged if it does have a catastrophic failure.
These are the little details that people need to tell someone before they sell there stuff. Of course i wouldn't of bought it. I still would of disclosed that little detail. Not that it was resealed. I guess next time I'll know better. 
Scott

LizStreithorst

I'd go for it, too.  The tank will be fine.  Your friend Dan is a smart guy.  Put a layer of styrofoam under it.
Always move forward. Never look back.