• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 07:01:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,251
  • Total Topics: 18,511
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 147
Total: 148

What Did Santa Get You?

Started by b125killer, December 25, 2014, 11:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I must of been a good boy this year! I got a 150 gallon tank today. It's used as all my tanks are but it came with the stand, power compact lights, Fluval 406 filter, Filstar XP4 filter, and the tops for the tank. Added bonus the front of the tank has 90? corners. This will be my new discus tank as soon as I get it cleaned up.

Scott

greydragon

i got the same as most years NOT A THING

Mugwump

Nice rig there Scott...... ;D .... I got the new computer  ;D   with the 24" screen.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Nice, I think one of the best things i got for my computer was a bigger screen.
Scott

Ron Sower

I think I mentioned earlier, we got ourselves (double Santa) a new French door fridge. Soooo nice!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

Quote from: b125killer on December 25, 2014, 11:24:05 PM
I must of been a good boy this year! I got a 150 gallon tank today. It's used as all my tanks are but it came with the stand, power compact lights, Fluval 406 filter, Filstar XP4 filter, and the tops for the tank. Added bonus the front of the tank has 90? corners. This will be my new discus tank as soon as I get it cleaned up.

Nice! Please do show that to us with the discus in it.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

I'll post pics when it's done. I'm going to sell the lights and already sold the filters. I don't need more big canister filters. The light are set up for saltwater. It would cost more to replace the bulds then the thing is worth. I'll get a new t5 fixture when i sell the lights. I'm not too sure if i should get bigger heaters for it. I have two 200 watts in the 72g i think they should be able too heat 150g to 84 easily enough. I'm going to aquascape there new tank. This will be the first time the discus will be in a tank with anything else in it. I'm also going to put the longfin L144 plecos in with them. There going  to have more space then they know what to do with.
Scott

LizStreithorst

I think you're going to need larger heaters or to add another 200 watt.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

My 150 was a six foot tank it took 2 300watt to keep it at 84.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

I think Liz is spot on....(3) 200's spread out the length of the tank would be perfect....250's would be better even.....

JR's right too...or a couple 300's....

I go with the three 200's because it'll give a better safety factor should one heater go out, or get stuck on...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Yea I just looked, i got two 300w in the 155g bow. If one of the 300s get stuck on do you think it could heat it up enough to hurt anything?  I kind of like the idea of three 200s. I got this in my big tank now.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/finnex-300-watt-hps-heater.html
I like the digital read out. It makes it easy to set the heaters the same temps.
Is there anything I should do or not do when I aquascape the discus tank? I already know to keep light colors.  I'm going to use pool filter sand for the substrate. I also want to use some live plants.  Not sure what plants I can put in with them.  Are plant heat sensitive?  If I pull plants out of other tanks is there anyting i need to do to them?
Scott

LizStreithorst

I was disappointed in the last digitals I bought.  Of the three digital's I bought a couple of years ago, one quit working, one is stuck at a acceptable temp, and one works normally.  And they were like $45. each.  I might give these a try.  The price is good and they can't be much worse that all the other heaters on the market.

What kind of fish do you have in the 155 bow?  You can almost simmer Discus before they'll die.  I came home once day to a tank with quarter size Discus with the temp at 98 degrees and the fish weren't bothered at all as far as I could see.  I lowered the water temp very slowly with small water changes every hour. 

Mugwump

Jon

wsantia1

Sounds like a lot of heater for that price. 8) :o 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Does anyone here have any experience with these?  I have enough heaters ATM but I have no backup heaters and I'm going to get another big tank and fill the other big water storage container next year. I'm planning to get 10 heaters.  I think that will give me 7 to use and 3 to keep for when a heater betrays me.