• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

When feeding carrots...

Started by Ron Sower, December 13, 2014, 08:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...to your plecos, do you drop them in raw, or do you blanch them or something?  I just dropped in a raw baby carrot, and no attention is paid to it.   :-\
....and yes, there ARE plecos in the tank!!!  :o
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I slice it lengethwise stick it on a fork and drop it in the tank.  It took mine a night with it to figure out it was food.  Once they figured it out they ate it all up.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Thanks, Lizz! I'll leave it a day and see what happens. Maybe it needs to soften up a bit on the outside.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Rjb3

Give them time to recognize it as food. You won't regret the outcome.

Ron Sower

So far...not interested. I will slit the carrot and drop one piece back in tonight when I do a water change.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 14, 2014, 07:59:17 PM
So far...not interested. I will slit the carrot and drop one piece back in tonight when I do a water change.

I slice em lengthwise ......some hit it right away..some hit it later...I even have a few that drag it under the wood to hoard it....LOL....I still feed other things too...plus zucchini.... yada yada
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I slice it lengthwise, too.  I dropped in a big one this morning.  By afternoon one was working on a slice.  Another is working on the other slice now.  I know how they do with carrots.  In a few days it will be devoured with nothing left but the skeleton of a carrot.
Always move forward. Never look back.