• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:18:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 217
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 188
Total: 188

Danio tinwini

Started by Ron Sower, December 12, 2014, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Dennis,

I've been wanting some of these guys for awhile now. If I get them, will a 1.75'' gap at the back of my 36''L 55g give them the room they need to commit suicide?!?!?!  :-\ In other words, they're jumpers aren't they? :-[

Crazy to even think about asking that.  I know they will. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Is there another danio that is less prone to sail thru the air if given the chance?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

I have D. margaritatus and choprae....they're highly energetic to put it mildly. The D. choprae charge all around the 75 gallon tank and then shoot straight up. They'd be on the floor without a top on the tank.

I'd put money on the tinwini being the same way.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

I've had both of them and loved them. You are exactly right...! 
Maybe I can figured a way to close the gap!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

PaulineMi

I put a strip of that black window film across an area that has a small opening in a back corner over the tank. It's nice because it sticks to the glass top and the tank and is very flexible.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 12, 2014, 06:06:53 PM
I put a strip of that black window film across an area that has a small opening in a back corner over the tank. It's nice because it sticks to the glass top and the tank and is very flexible.
That sounds good, but I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on December 12, 2014, 03:44:09 PM
..... In other words, they're jumpers aren't they? :-[

Other than some guppy grass floating at the top of the water, mine are in a tank without a top.  They are very laid-back, nothing like Danio choprae.  That said, any fish may jump if startled, but D. tinwini are possibly the calmest of all the Danios.

Dennis

PaulineMi

BillT

I would agree completely with Dennis.
I have a couple of tanks of these. One uncovered with almost nothing on the surface.
They are nice little placid fish that hang in a loose group in a 5 G tank with a lot of fake plants.
I think their tendency would be to go down if startled rather than jumping.

I have also keep Danionella's which are much less substantial and quite small (~15-24 mm).
I'm not sure they could break the water's surface tension. On the other hand, they could slip into the dense vegetation.

Little fast guys zebrafish, choprae (+ relative), pearl (+ relatives), can jump well.

Large ones like giant danios (most are really Devarios) can jump great (sadly at times).
Some tanks of these guys splash me when I feed them (this would result from the force required to turn their body around after getting a piece of food).

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on December 12, 2014, 07:02:09 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-wq0qECRQ

Oops....never mind.   ::)

That looks great! Thanks Pauline!

And thanks Bill and Dennis. That's the opposite of what I'd been thinking. That helps a lot!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron