• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 07:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 152
Total: 152

New Heater?

Started by BallAquatics, December 19, 2012, 07:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

A couple months ago I purchased some new heaters from Kens Fish, http://www.kensfish.com/.  They are manufactured by a company called Deep Blue.  I haven't had any previous experience with them so I thought I'd run them a bit before making any recommendations.  If you are looking for a heater, Ken has some great prices on these.  I purchased the Deep Blue Professional 300 Watt Heaters for $12.95 each.

For the price you don't get all the bells and whistles like some of the pricey heaters, but they are well built easy to set-up and have been working great.  My fish room stays cool enough in the winter that I like to warm up my storage water before using it.  That's what I've been using these for.  They will quickly warm up a large vat of 50 degree rain or well water.  As with all things aquatic...  your mileage may vary.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Thanks, Dennis...that's good to know. I'm getting ready to retire some heaters( save for spares) and get some new(er) ones...mine have been in there for awhile..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

I really like Kensfish. I get a lot of stuff there. I have one of those heaters and 3 of the deep blue air pumps. I really like them. I also get my stuff so fast.
Jo

BallAquatics

Yea, it's hard to go wrong buying from Ken.  I've only had an issue one time, and Ken sorted it out straight away.  Great place to deal with!

Dennis

PaulineMi

Good info.  Thanks for sharing.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Jo

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 19, 2012, 10:45:26 AM
Yea, it's hard to go wrong buying from Ken.  I've only had an issue one time, and Ken sorted it out straight away.  Great place to deal with!

Dennis

Yea me too, last order something was left out and I let him know and he shipped it that day. I got it a few days later.
Jo

Mugwump

In fairness, I get heaters from Jehmco too. They're good heaters and very reasonably priced. They ship same day if ordered before 1PM or so..EST...I like Jehmco's bags...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on December 19, 2012, 04:48:31 PM
...I like Jehmco's bags...

I've started buying my bags direct from Kordon.  Unless I'm taking fish to the local swap, everything goes in heat sealed Breathing Bags?.

Dennis

Mugwump

Breather bags are ok for shipping small angel fry...but once they are quarters and up, they don't work well because they are easily finned.....aka 'leakers'.....
Jon

BillT

QuoteA couple months ago I purchased some new heaters from Kens Fish, http://www.kensfish.com/.  They are manufactured by a company called Deep Blue.  I haven't had any previous experience with them so I thought I'd run them a bit before making any recommendations.  If you are looking for a heater, Ken has some great prices on these.  I purchased the Deep Blue Professional 300 Watt Heaters for $12.95 each.

Looks like some nice heater deals there.
I think I will get some heaters from them.

b125killer

What a geat post. I just found out the heater in my 10 gallon went out. I have a spare but now I need a back up.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Dennis, you've had these for over a year now.  Are you still satisfied with them?  I need to buy some lower wattage heaters because so many of my Sera heaters have died on me.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

No!!!!!  Those Deep Blue heaters turned out to be junk.  I bought a half dozen of these 150 watt  lifetime guaranteed Aqueon heaters from Kens.  http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/150-watt-aqueon-heater.html  I've had the Aqueon's about a year now and they hold temperature like nobody's business.  Even when the fish room temperatures vary by about 20 degrees from summer to winter.  About the only thing I have heated are the L046, L183, & L201 tanks.

The thermostat part of the Deep Blue heaters don't work so the temps are all over the place.....  I've got them in my storage vat for when I need to warm it up a bit.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on March 01, 2014, 06:43:21 PM
No!!!!!  Those Deep Blue heaters turned out to be junk.  I bought a half dozen of these 150 watt  lifetime guaranteed Aqueon heaters from Kens.  http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/150-watt-aqueon-heater.html  I've had the Aqueon's about a year now and they hold temperature like nobody's business.  Even when the fish room temperatures vary by about 20 degrees from summer to winter.  About the only thing I have heated are the L046, L183, & L201 tanks.

The thermostat part of the Deep Blue heaters don't work so the temps are all over the place.....  I've got them in my storage vat for when I need to warm it up a bit.

Dennis

I bought a few of the 'blues' too......I agree...not very quick to heat anything, much less hold the temp.....back to Aqueon heaters...or Jehmco mid grade....both have been very reliable here...
Jon

ilroost

Aqueon and fluval here