• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 23, 2024, 01:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,309
  • Total Topics: 18,528
  • Online today: 173
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 98
Total: 98

Devario sondhii

Started by BallAquatics, December 03, 2014, 05:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

These guys should be free swimming tomorrow.....

Here's my original breeders from back in 2009.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Sweet looking little things....what's the life expectancy on these???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I'd say 5 years or less, there abouts.

Dennis

BallAquatics

... and their off ...

Up in the top left is a swarm of Moina.....

My typicall green water / live food set-up for fry.  They will grow like weeds set-up like this.   ;D ;D ;D

Dennis

Mugwump

...the availability of food all the time makes green water a big plus.....congrats, fry are neat..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Very cool Dennis. Great pictures.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

Is that the same green water from your turtle Dennis?

Is that growing in hard water?

Have you ever done an ammonia measurement on it?
Zebrafish have been shown to tolerate stand high ammonia levels when they are larvae.

I remember when I was a kid in Maryland, we had fairly hard water and I could easily grow great green water there.
Not so much in Oregon (soft water).

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on December 04, 2014, 10:49:38 PM
Is that the same green water from your turtle Dennis?
Yes it is.  I currently have two 40 breeders with green water.  The turtle moves from one tank to the other about every 2 weeks.  There are also a handful of Gambusia holbrooki in each tank.

Is that growing in hard water?
It is mainly water change water from my other tanks, so it's not really hard.  I do add a bit of well water to it, mainly for the benifit of the daphnia cultures.

Have you ever done an ammonia measurement on it?
I have not.  The green water tanks get a +33% water change every other day when I remove 10+ gallons of green water and replace it with old water change water from my fish tanks.

As the tanks basically get 100% water changes weekly, and watching the health of the Gambusia along with high ammonia levels drastically impairing Daphnia reproduction, I would be very surprised to find that the water had much ammonia in it.  I'll see if I can locate my test kits and give it a test.  I've been wanting to test some of my water softener water to see if it tests at 0 GH too.

Dennis