• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 04:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 179
Total: 179

Today is the day...

Started by Barb, November 23, 2014, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

for me to remove all my HOB's and go with all large sponges in all my tanks.  I have several going already, now to add to them, new big air pumps too.  I should have done this many years ago but I fell for the hype that you need all these expensive, high tech filters to properly filter the tank.  No more of that for me, just simple sponges and air, that's all.  Less power, less noise, tanks placed closer to the wall, plenty of bubbles and easy to clean.  I am downsizing so much in preparation to move, now it is happening in the tanks too.  I will be hiding the sponges behind my plants.  More on that later.
Barb

Mugwump

Great....You won't regret it, Barb...... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Reading this just made me realize I should put sponge filters in the family room display tank. It's been running with two big Eheim canister filters for years. My back problems have made maintaining those beasts difficult. The back room tanks are running with sponges.....I  should have figured this out awhile back.

So....thanks Barb.   ;) 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

You know, thinking about it today, not all advancements in fish keeping are necessary.  Some of the ways we did things a long time ago, remember those little plastic boxes with floss and carbon in them, on an air pump, they worked great!  Simple and cheap.  How did we get to all these canisters and sumps and elaborate HOB's?  Must be for the $$$ for manufacturers.  With all the water changes we discus and angel keepers do, well we sure don't need the high tech and expensive stuff.  But I do think that people with the high tech filters think they can do way less wc's.  I would rather keep it simple and change water.
Barb

wsantia1

I am slowly switching over also. ;D I think I'll get another Hot Mag (I have 2) and a new diatom filter ( mine is just about dead) ::) for extra cleaning power when necessary. 8) 8) 8)
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

In the Asian Discus farms they use no filtration.  They do 100% WCs twice daily complete with fish flopping on the bottom of the tank.  I've seen videos.  It's quite a sight.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 23, 2014, 04:20:29 PM
In the Asian Discus farms they use no filtration.  They do 100% WCs twice daily complete with fish flopping on the bottom of the tank.  I've seen videos.  It's quite a sight.

I saw some of those videos too. I agree quite a sight.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

That "Lucky Tropical" discus WC video on you tube is where my current discus came from (via Chicago Discus). I often wonder if that speedy 100% water change and rushing water refill is why nothing seems to bother them.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

I probably have about 20 tanks with little plastic box filters in them.
These tanks get automated water changes, so with low fish numbers, not so much filtration needed.

Any time I can replace a motor with an airlift driven device I consider it an energy gain.

Barb

Seems I have made a good change.  I am looking forward to some lower electric bills too.  Glad to hear the sponges are working as well as I hoped.  Thanks all,
Barb