• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,248
  • Total Topics: 18,509
  • Online today: 125
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

Latest project

Started by BallAquatics, November 10, 2014, 07:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I rescued a couple of aquatic turtles over the weekend and they came with this monster.....

55 gallon NO center brace, 1/4" thick glass.  This baby weights a ton!  It's a leaker and someone tried to reseal it without removing the old silicone.

If it cleans up nice I might leave the top trim off and go for that Amano frame-less look.  LOL

Got the top frame off without breaking it and even though it's got lots of silicone smeared everywhere it's coming off pretty easy.  Should be able to strip it and reseal tomorrow afternoon.

Dennis

Mugwump

Nice tanks, those old 55's....I had one and Scott has it now....heavy as hell, but solid as a rock...for some reason the glass will clean up better than the newer tanks do, when crusty looking....dimensions should be a little different that std 55's now days too...taller?? and shorter/narrower??????

Have fun...pics of the finished tank would be nice too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That's a fine old tank.  What kind of silicone are you going to use.  There's one called "motive" in it name that I hear is the best.  You can get it an Grainer's or some place like that that we don't have here down south.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 10, 2014, 07:58:58 PM
What kind of silicone are you going to use.

Probably my old standard GE Silicone 1.  Need to stop by Lowes to get some aluminum flashing and some odds & ends for some LED light projects so I might look and see if they have any of that Loctite that Jon mentioned.

I've had great success with GE Silicone 1 so I'm not really inclined to change.  Besides, it fits well with my other bad habits like over-stocking and using that toxic rain water.  If I had listened to all the Internet Parrots telling me you can't do what I've been doing for years, I'd have given up fish keeping years ago.  LOL

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I wasn't getting on your ass, Mr. Spock.  I just asked about the silicone because I've had this 120 beast in the middle of my fish room floor that I've tried 3 times on with GE 1 and failed each time.  I keep being too afraid to try again so I thought I'd ask.  I'm going to go with the "motive" stuff that I'll have to order.  I have broken tanks down to parts and stuck them back together, but this 120 in the middle of what I consider my living room has put the fear in me.  I can't let it beat me when I build myself up to take it on for the FOURTH, FOURTH
FOURTH
time :-[

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 10, 2014, 08:27:14 PM
I wasn't getting on your ass, Mr. Spock.  I just asked about the silicone because I've had this 120 beast in the middle of my fish room floor that I've tried 3 times on with GE 1 and failed each time.  I keep being too afraid to try again so I thought I'd ask.  I'm going to go with the "motive" stuff that I'll have to order.  I have broken tanks down to parts and stuck them back together, but this 120 in the middle of what I consider my living room has put the fear in me.  I can't let it beat me when I build myself up to take it on for the FOURTH, FOURTH
FOURTH
time :-[

Well. there's always the 'fifth' time.......your honor, I refuse to answer on grounds that this tank will incriminate me.......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 10, 2014, 08:27:14 PM
I wasn't getting on your ass, Mr. Spock.

I didn't think you were, at least I didn't take it that way.  I didn't mean to come off as being gruff on my end either.  I've always marched to my own drummer, and when I find something that works well for me, I tend to stick with it.  Maybe that other stuff is better, maybe it's all made by the same folks and just packaged differently for different companies.....  I tend not to make recommendations just because different folks have different results.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'm the same as you Dennis.  I do what works for me.  I do things that are considered wrong, too.  If it works, why change?

There will not be a 5th time for my 120.  I will remove the end panel, clean everything squeaky clean, check all the glass surfaces with a square, and use the fancy silicone.  If it fails me again and I'll let my lfs find a reptile person for it.  It's better to do that than take the sledge to it.

BallAquatics

Do you wipe your glass down with Acetone Liz?  That's what I use to get it super clean and it dries quickly and completely.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I razor blade it, then vaccum up everything, then acetone.  I got another broken 120 when I got this one and I replaced the side panel and it's been fine for over a year and a half.  I know how to do the job correctly.  I've never checked the sides of the glass with a square, though.  I know that if I can find the root of the problem with this big bad bear I can tame it.

BallAquatics

That's the same way I do mine too.  There must be something else happening here.  I'd definitely check both sides and the bottom for square and a good solid fit.  When I'm rebuilding, I press the edges together tight enough that there is very little silicone left between the sheets of glass.  If any of the three sides is out-of-square the fit would be somewhat less than optimal.....

Dennis

BillT

QuoteI've had great success with GE Silicone 1 so I'm not really inclined to change.  Besides, it fits well with my other bad habits like over-stocking and using that toxic rain water.  If I had listened to all the Internet Parrots telling me you can't do what I've been doing for years, I'd have given up fish keeping years ago.  LOL

I love it!
What a great attitude!

BallAquatics

Well, all striped and resealed.  One of the ends was not looking too good and the seam was starting to come apart, so I removed the silicone from the bad joint and sealed it too.  The glass is so thick that I couldn't get the silicone to go completely through the joint, so I had to work silicone in from the outside like you would pack wheel bearings with grease.  LOL

This old girl has seen a lot of rough duty.  Once I was done with the reseal, I started doing some general clean-up on the outside and she's kinda beat up.  I've still got high hopes for her though..... I guess time will tell.

As I was going over the tank I though how cool it would be to know the history and started to think of all the fish that have called her home over the years.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Are you going to name her?  I'm fond of my 25 year old truck in the same way you're fond of this tank.  I named my truck.

BallAquatics

I might just do that Liz.  I'll have to procure a name worthy of the tough old gal.

Dennis