• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 08:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 146
Total: 147

Blanching veggies

Started by Mugwump, November 07, 2014, 05:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...For how long do you folks blanch your veggies??.....methods??.....just seeing what the various techniques are for different folks.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I don't blanch my zucchini at all.  My greedy BNs (most related to the Cougar and Stud Muffin) demolish it in no time. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

I don't either...but a lot of folks do....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

One minute for Zucchini.  Two minutes for carrot slices.  It makes it sink faster.  Cucumber and lettuces they have to come to the top for.  I think that is I blanch them the few nutrients they contain will dissolve into the water.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2014, 04:59:45 PM
One minute for Zucchini.  Two minutes for carrot slices.  It makes it sink faster.  Cucumber and lettuces they have to come to the top for.  I think that is I blanch them the few nutrients they contain will dissolve into the water.

I rubber band it to flat'ish rocks.....plop....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'm a bare bottom woman, although I do give plecos a piece of wood to chew on.  I don't want to bother with rubber bands.  I blanch for a minute and the stuff sinks on it's own.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2014, 05:56:58 PM
I'm a bare bottom woman, although I do give plecos a piece of wood to chew on.  I don't want to bother with rubber bands.  I blanch for a minute and the stuff sinks on it's own.

LOL...first flash through head was the old 'Coppertone' bill board ad with the little girl on the beach...LOL

Anyway, I can understand not wanting a rock in there..........some folks just use a fork....
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 07, 2014, 06:10:02 PM

LOL...first flash through head was the old 'Coppertone' bill board ad with the little girl on the beach...LOL

Anyway, I can understand not wanting a rock in there..........some folks just use a fork....

I have a bunch of veggie clips.  The attached to the glass and hold the veggie in place. i paid a little over a buck for them at foster & smith.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 07, 2014, 06:15:23 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 07, 2014, 06:10:02 PM

I have a bunch of veggie clips.  The attached to the glass and hold the veggie in place. i paid a little over a buck for them at foster & smith.

Thought about that Willie....it will work pretty well for adults, but the fry tend to swarm it if on the bottom....lot's of times fry don't start all scaling the glass til they're older....
Jon

LizStreithorst

I don't want clips.  I don't want forks I despise suction cups because they always get flat and quit sucking.

I'm the Coppertone girl.  BB all the way ;D ;D ;D

wsantia1

Well my clips work from anywhere in the tank and my suction cups never get flat. They are pretty convenient especially when you want to pull that veggie out.  ;D ;D ;D
Willie

LizStreithorst

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 07, 2014, 06:29:48 PM
Well my clips work from anywhere in the tank and my suction cups never get flat. They are pretty convenient especially when you want to pull that veggie out.  ;D ;D ;D

I know that your way is better.  Nutrients have to be lost during blanching.

Rjb3

200 degrees is the point of no return for vitamins and minerals.

When I raised a lot of plecos, I used raw spinach and carrots. And, sometimes, tiny pieces of raw sweet potato. The Cory catfish liked the sweet potato as well.

LizStreithorst

My Captain has spoken.  I'll stick the stuff I feed them in a fork from now on.  I haven't tried spinach yet.  I'll buy some for them and eat the left overs.  I like spinach.  I bet kale and collards are good for them, too.

Rjb3

Yep, collard greens are good for them. Mustard greens, too. It's easy to put a rubber band around a flat piece of slate and stick a bunch of stems under the rubber band. Same way for spinach. You can do it, Liz.