• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 10:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 199
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

New Toy

Started by b125killer, October 31, 2014, 11:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I got a new toy for the fish room. I find myself paying closer attention to the temps in the discus tanks. I only have a hand full of led thermometers.  I have been switching them from tank to tank. I know better and i shouldn't do it but it's what i had to work with. Plus the led thermometers all read different from each other. 
Scott

Mugwump

..aren't they neat, ;D ..mine gets used constantly, plus, the fish like to chase the the little red dot. ;D.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I have one also.  So Scott, have you checked the temps of floors, walls, etc. with it?  And like Jon said....some of the fish will chase the red dot.....as will my dog.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

I'm looking for one.  Anybody have any recommendations?
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

JR

I have had one for years to check A/C out put on cars. They work great. Got mine from Snap on paid way to much for it. Found one at Habor  Freight for about $30. Same brand as the Snap-on one and about 3 time cheaper
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

JC

Those are neat. I ways find myself checking the temp of EVERYTHING haha

Ron Sower

I'm going to go to Harbor Freight and get one of these!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

b125killer

I got mine at sears for $30. They have them on ebay cheaper but i wanted it now. I think i have checked the temp of everything in the house. The only thing that I'm having a problem with is my tank temps. The digital thermometers are reading around 78 to 82 on most tanks. The discus it reads 84. When i use the gun temps read from 83 to 94 on the discus.  I'm not sure witch one to believe.  I know there is a 2% tolerance on the temp gun. But i wouldn't think the temps should read that far off from the digital thermometers. I'm not sure if i should adjust for the temp gun or leave things alone. If it's not broke don't fix it kind of thing.
Scott

BillT

You can get reliable standard temperatures from measuring:

boiling water:     100˚C  or 212˚F

ice water (well mixed):          ~0˚C or ~32˚F

You want to get things at the transitions between the different states (solid-liquid or liquid-gas), not super cold ice or hot steam.

b125killer

Thanks Bill, I'll check it tomorrow.  I can't imagine the temps in them tanks are that high.
Scott

BillT

Boiling points will be lower at higher altitudes (like Denver).
So depending on your altitude, it might not be so good without a correction.

b125killer

I'm not in high altitudes.  I'm a couple hours west of Chicago. So i should be good.
Scott

b125killer

It's where it should be. I was wrong about the accuracy it's 3% of reading or ?5?F. but the max hit right on. Also taking temps through transparent surfaces such as glass/acrylic may not be accurate. I did think of that and was taking readings off the water surface. If I didn't think the digital thermometers would melt before they got to temp I would check them too. I'm not even sure what the max range in on them. I would try in with ice water but not to sure how to go about doing it. If i put it in the freezer I'm going to forget about it. So I'm still wondering if I should lower the temps in the tanks or leave them alone. I'm still thinking leave it alone. It's a pain adjusting all them heaters. and the fish are doing fine. My koi spawned today also so something must be right in there tank.  ;D
Scott

Mugwump

On mine you can open up the handle and there are toggle switches to set for any materials that you shooting at..ie...walls, glass, metal,etc...I can set it to read through glass to check a liquid, like water...check you manual again and see if you have a recommended way of calibrating....??

does your auto turn off work??....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 02, 2014, 04:33:52 AM
On mine you can open up the handle and there are toggle switches to set for any materials that you shooting at..ie...walls, glass, metal,etc...I can set it to read through glass to check a liquid, like water...check you manual again and see if you have a recommended way of calibrating....??

does your auto turn off work??....

What brand & model is yours Jon.  I liked yours. ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.