• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 06:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 187
Total: 187

Fish Room face lift Day 1

Started by P4Angels, December 09, 2012, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P4Angels

Well what a weekend at our place.   Fish room make over in progress.  Went to Costco and picked up a Whalen industrial rack w/ interlocking wire deck.

Rack info

Installed a door to the entrance to the fish room on Friday night. Wished we would have done that allot sooner. that sure will keep the humidity out of the rest of the house.  Emptied tanks and moved things Sunday morning. Vacuumed and cleaned carpets. Built and installed the new rack Sunday afternoon.

Placed 1/2 inch insulation above the metal shelving and that silver insulation in the backs. Later will attach to the backs of the 20 gallons.

Power strip (with 12 outlets from Harbor freight) inside back top of rack for heaters.  One switch to turn them all of when doing water changes.

All done ready for tanks.... WOW that was not that bad....

The Industrial rack system has 10 20 gallon highs on the top and middle and our 100 gallon storage water tank on the bottom.  The dehumidifier on the smaller rack to the left drains in to the holding system.  The other rack to the left we have used in the past and put them back together 3 tear high.  75 gallon on the bottom 55 gallon in the middle and 3 10 gallons across the top.  Last thing to do was re-install the air system.  I used  What a way to end a weekend.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

P4Angels

Our house looks like World War 3 hit it. Things to get done for day 2.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

Mugwump

Ah, I love it when a plan comes together....keep posting the progress....nice....did you coat/treat the metal racks with anything for moisture??....or are they corrosion proof??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I love these kind of racks. I have three and have not had any problems with corrosion yet. They have seen only a little salt though.

Frank The Plumber

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on December 10, 2012, 06:08:42 AM
Ah, I love it when a plan comes together....keep posting the progress....nice....did you coat/treat the metal racks with anything for moisture??....or are they corrosion proof??

Commercial grade steel components with powder coated black wrinkle epoxy finishThree adjustable shelves with heavy duty welded end frames  Silver powder coated finish on welded wire decks and channel  Add Extra Shelf Kit (#WSIRS2472-BW sold separately) to connect 2 racks together and create large storage wallCertified for safe storage of food, water and other goods by NSF InternationalEasy single-tool assembly (rubber mallet not included)Shelf Capacity: 2,000 lbs. EVENLY DISTRIBUTED NON-SEISMIC CAPACITY (when load applied to beams)

P4Angels

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on December 10, 2012, 01:26:40 PM
Those metal shelves scare me.

I have been using them, for years now and have had one one problem with them.  The press board sheets that come with them swell up like a balloon when water hits them.  So I have been using 2x6 treated lumber in the corners and 2 in the middle with a sheet of foam between the 2x6's and tank. There are many fish keepers in the area that use the large industrial rack and have had zero problems with them. 

Barb

Wow, 2000 lbs, no problem at all with all those tanks on it then.  Good luck with the rest of it all. 
Barb

LizStreithorst

Hmmm...The waste from the dehumidifier goes into the system.  Good idea. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2012, 02:47:03 PM
Hmmm...The waste from the dehumidifier goes into the system.  Good idea.
I caught that too. Providing the water's filtered for air impurities, it should work fine.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Jo

BillT

QuoteI caught that too. Providing the water's filtered for air impurities, it should work fine.

i would be concerned about dissolved metal from the dehumidifier dissolving in the water and getting into the tanks.
Zinc and copper can have negative effects on fish at parts per billion concentrations, particularly if the water is soft.
But if everything seems OK than it probably is not be a problem.

P4Angels2

It goes into a tank that is being treated for our fish

P4Angels

Quote from: BillT on December 10, 2012, 08:44:31 PM
QuoteI caught that too. Providing the water's filtered for air impurities, it should work fine.

i would be concerned about dissolved metal from the dehumidifier dissolving in the water and getting into the tanks.
Zinc and copper can have negative effects on fish at parts per billion concentrations, particularly if the water is soft.
But if everything seems OK than it probably is not be a problem.

I thought the same thing.  It is goes into a 100 gallons of treated water.   It only produces about 10-15 gallons of water daily.  So any trace elements are mixed in with 100 gallons of water that should delude it down to almost nothing.   

b125killer

It looks good. Are Them the tanks that you just redid the shelving for?
Scott