• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 15, 2024, 11:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,299
  • Total Topics: 18,524
  • Online today: 155
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Discus for sale

Started by LizStreithorst, October 05, 2014, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

$150. for a group of 6 plus overnight shipping for existing members here.  They are 2" TL, have excellent shape and no pepper.

Here are pics of the fish themselves and one of their parents
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

more

Mugwump

..pretty Discus...good pics  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The they sold on Aquabid.  I offered 5 for $150. there.  (I'll send the guy a freebie).  They actually got bid up 10 bucks!  The guy didn't even ask about shipping cost.  He already knew that it would be 2/3rds the cost of the fish.  Discus people are used to paying through the nose for shipping.  I wish the same were true of Angelfish people.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 10, 2014, 07:45:58 PM
The they sold on Aquabid.  I offered 5 for $150. there.  (I'll send the guy a freebie).  They actually got bid up 10 bucks!  The guy didn't even ask about shipping cost.  He already knew that it would be 2/3rds the cost of the fish.  Discus people are used to paying through the nose for shipping.  I wish the same were true of Angelfish people.

HEY!!!...I resemble that remark!!....LOL...forgive my sarcasm please.. ;D  but yes, we lowly 'angelfish people' understand the importance of overnight shipping, and it's related cost that the discus folks, with their inflated prices, have thrust upon our humble charges......shame on us for being slow to conform....*end sarcasm*....seriously tho....why are discus prices so out of control?? In current times, there are so many more discus keepers, and breeders, that it doesn't make sense to me why the cost of them hasn't come down.....they've become a much more easily obtainable than years past.......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The price of Discus has not gone up except for a couple of importers whose heads are in the clouds.  Ever since I started breeding back in 2001 young home bred Discus went for $1, per inch up to 3".  I asked a little more for mind because I think they're good.   It's not my fault that they got bid up.  I'm just happy that they were.

I didn't intend to insult everybody here :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[.  Most Angelfish folks I've had dealings with were not willing to pay $100. shipping for a $150. pair.  Only one didn't care about the shipping cost.  All I have to go by is my personal experience.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 10, 2014, 08:18:21 PM
The price of Discus has not gone up except for a couple of importers whose heads are in the clouds.  Ever since I started breeding back in 2001 young home bred Discus went for $1, per inch up to 3".  I asked a little more for mind because I think they're good.   It's not my fault that they got bid up.  I'm just happy that they were.

I didn't intend to insult everybody here :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[.  Most Angelfish folks I've had dealings with were not willing to pay $100. shipping for a $150. pair.  Only one didn't care about the shipping cost.  All I have to go by is my personal experience.

I know Liz, but I've never seen a $3-$5 discus...ever....even at swaps where prices are usually reasonable, they are way above an equal sized angel.....you can pick up a nice pair of angels for many dollars less than a pair of discus...it's just the 'discus mystic', I guess...folks expect to pay more...and do so.....there are some sought after Angels that command a hefty price too...difficult to raise phenotypes like half black, albino's, etc.....and rightly so....but it just seems any old discus is $$$'s.... angel folks will spend bucks on shipping valued items.....a lot of your 'test shoppers' were looking at your low feedback and thinking that maybe you were a novice and were looking for a rookie seller deal somehow because you might not know better....the person that knows what he's getting, won't flinch over shipping....they want the fish, and safely too...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I will stick to my guns for a while longer, then.  I have feedback now and will get another when the guy gets his Discus. 

You are talking apples and oranges when it comes to Discus prices compared to Angel prices.  Angel's reach sexual maturity earlier and you can raise their kids in a jar.  Discus need to eat from their parents for at least a week.  I always try for 3 weeks.  During that time you need to feed the crap out of them and change water twice a day.  The effort of raising a Discus to 1" is worth 10 bucks.  Most sellers wait until the fish reach a couple of inches before I sell,  I do.  At 2" you have a way better feeling about their quality. 

PaulineMi

Discus are like a high maintenance,  glamorous woman.  Not cheap to keep.  ;D ;D ;D

I read somewhere that discus are raised in such sterile conditions that they've never developed a strong immune system. Far be it from me to challenge that thought one way or the other but I do think about it. Like my late Mom used to say....the dirtiest little kids on the block are the healthiest.

That being said....having seen discus raised in ultra prisine conditions and those raised like any other well cared for fish one can see a huge difference.  Shape, color and health suffer if youngsters through young adult stages aren't cared for on an almost extreme level.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Barb

Pauline is right.  And Liz meant $10 per inch of fish, not $1.  Wish they were $1.  With discus, it seems you get what you pay for in most cases, but not all.  When I got my first discus about 25 years ago, I spent $25 each for 1 1/2" fish.  Now, I can still get a good discus for that price, but it will be small too.

Yes, they are high maintenance but worth it to those who do it and have tank(s) of healthy discus.  I also keep just as many angels, in different tanks, so I get to observe just how much hardier the angels are.
Barb

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on October 11, 2014, 08:09:26 AM
I read somewhere that discus are raised in such sterile conditions that they've never developed a strong immune system. Far be it from me to challenge that thought one way or the other but I do think about it. Like my late Mom used to say....the dirtiest little kids on the block are the healthiest

Most of us keep our tanks clean and go BB, but very very few us use UV.  I don't believe that the immune system is weaker in Discus than it is in Angels.  Discus have more stringent water quality requirements than Angels, especially when they're young and growing fast. 

I think that pathogens and parasites are in all the fish we raise.  I know that before mine got the herpes virus my Discus showed no symptoms of anything at all.  Once they got infected with the virus I had bacterial and viral hell.  It's because before the virus their immune systems were keeping things in check.

I wasn't there for the Angelfish plague which is also a herpes virus, but I hear it wiped most everyone out. It was because the fish's immune systems had never seen anything like this virus and were unprepared to deal with it.

I am a firm believer of lots of good clean water good weekly wipe downs are the way to go.  If you give them that, it's their job to ward off the usual suspects.

Mugwump

Agreed Liz.....good clean water, good food make for healthy fish. Those of us who remember and survived the great angel plague, had out tanks on lock down.....nada in, nada out....those unfortunate to have received new fish from outside sources, took the fall......badly....it hit before most even were aware of what was happening....we didn't have one of our 'real' fish rooms at that time, so it went right on by us..... ;D ;D ;D ;D....

keep vigilant, keep informed, isolate any new arrivals......there have been mini out breaks here and there too.....when in doubt, cull em out.....my motto...
Jon