• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 03:29:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 268
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 262
Total: 262

Tilapia Snyderae

Started by ilroost, September 24, 2014, 07:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilroost

Just got 10 fry from a friend today.
These fish are on the C.A.R.E.S list. Going to try to raise them and breed them. Has anyone here ever kept them before?
I have never even seen them until today, When i seen the parents at this guy's fish room.
I have googled them but can't really find out a whole lot on them

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

These guy's are small, maybe about 5 inches or so full grown and have lots of color. The fishes lips turn white when in breeding dress. Really cool looking fish

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on September 24, 2014, 08:15:33 PM
These guy's are small, maybe about 5 inches or so full grown and have lots of color. The fishes lips turn white when in breeding dress. Really cool looking fish

neato....pics???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

I only have real small fry. I wish i would of took picts of the parents when i was there.
Can't seem to find out a whole lot about them anywhere

ilroost

Well i have found that they are from Cameroon. They are on the red list as critically endangered. It says they only get about 2 inches in size, but i swear the parents i saw were about 4 or 5 inches big.

Mugwump

Jon

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on September 25, 2014, 07:34:28 AM
http://www.gcca.net/west-african-cichlids/168-tilapia-snyderae#.VCQK0-vD9Ds

http://www.borstein.info/profiles/west_africa/tilapiasny.html

There are several types of tilapia which are cichlids.

Indeed there are, Pauline.....I know Sam, and he's a brilliant fish keeper...Rick Borstein is a past GCCA president, I believe, and current webmaster.   a very good source  ;D..
Jon

ilroost

Thanks Pauline, that is them. Now to raise the 10 fry i have.I think they are kinda neat. I always get excited when i get a fish i have never had before