• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu

Moina still going

Started by BillT, September 17, 2014, 06:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

You easterners have been going on about how its getting cold for a while.
It may finally be cooling down out here.

My Moina tub behind the garage was at 65˚F today.

I am still getting good yeild, but I kinda expect it to drop off soon.

Mugwump

Wow, big cultures there........are you feeding the whole lab??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm impressed.  I've never done well with daphnia.  I'm jealous.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

That's a lotta moina!

How do you raise them?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BillT

These are Moina I normally raise in much smaller amounts inside. They are smaller than Daphnia, grow at higher densities and like higher temperatures (the tubs are black and in the sun).
After seeing what Dennis was doing with his turtle culture method, I decided to put them outside in some tubs I had.

Raising them is simple:
They get auto-water changes, there is a 1 G jar of lavarock with an airlift tube for biofiltration, and the mesh on top keeps out small flying insects, the metal screen protects the mesh from the raccoons. They get fed a mix of flour from different sources, spirulia and yeast.

Almost all my fish get these guys right now.