• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 07:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 176
Total: 176

Let's Take Five

Started by LizStreithorst, December 05, 2012, 03:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Dave Brubeck died today.  He was 92 so I guess it's OK.  He was one of the most inovative composers of our time.  He actually changed Jazz.  He wasn't a half bad human being, either.  He was a white guy and he played in the black clubs back in the 50's.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpnWuk3RjU
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jo

That was really good music! Looks like he had a good life!
Jo

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 05, 2012, 03:23:54 PM
Dave Brubeck died today.  He was 92 so I guess it's OK.  He was one of the most inovative composers of our time.  He actually changed Jazz.  He wasn't a half bad human being, either.  He was a white guy and he played in the black clubs back in the 50's.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzpnWuk3RjU

I have several of his LP's..my favorite is 'Brandenburg Gate'.....60's were great for jazz...MJQ, Miles,Vince Guaraldi, etc....some of my current listening is still 'Kind of Blue', Sketches of Spain' (Miles)..'Undercurrent' (Modern Jazz Quartet).....and I've always liked Bill Evans, who played with both..(piano).....easy listening, for sure....Dave will be missed, but his music lives forever...him and Paul Desmond.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Here's a link to a nice interview with Dave back in 2010.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w7cmk

To honor Dave Brubeck, who died last week, the BBC changed its regularly scheduled programming and aired this unusual and revealing  interview.

In Autumn 2010 Paul Gambaccini traveled to the Connecticut home of the jazz legend to explore his music and career  --  reflecting his war years, his world-famous Quartet, his family, and his best known tunes.  In the programme we hear about the Dave Brubeck Quartet classic line-up featuring drummer Joe Morello, bassist Eugene Wright and saxophonist Paul Desmond.  The huge success of Paul Desmond's composition 'Take Five' was followed by many tunes played in Brubeck's unusual time signature (the best known of which may be 'Blue Rondo A La Turk').  Brubeck?s experiments in time are notable for his innate sense of song, and his commitment to musical populism.

Originally broadcast in 2010 for Brubeck?s 90th birthday

Dennis

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

You are very welcome!  I love BBC radio.  They still have great radio shows... like the kind of stuff we had here back in the 60's and 70's.

Dennis