• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 20, 2024, 01:57:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,301
  • Total Topics: 18,526
  • Online today: 196
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 181
Total: 181

Thinking about quitting smoking

Started by LizStreithorst, September 11, 2014, 05:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Just thinking about it, mind you.  I know how much I'll have to suffer if I quit.  I hate making myself suffer. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 11, 2014, 05:51:14 PM
Just thinking about it, mind you.  I know how much I'll have to suffer if I quit.  I hate making myself suffer.

Tobacco, right?.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Of course!  The other does little if any harm.  Rumor has it that it can do some good!

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 11, 2014, 06:46:03 PM
Of course!  The other does little if any harm.  Rumor has it that it can do some good!

Another dose of medicinal help coming right up.... ;D.............................LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Next February it will be 10 years since I quit.  Best thing I ever did.  After 30 years of 2 packs a day it wasn't easy though.....

The key for me was that I really wanted to quit.  I'd tried plenty of times before, but always came up with a reason not to quit.  Like most things in life, it doesn't work out like you'd planned if your hearts not really into the task at hand.

Dennis

BillT

Here is something I found today that might help quitters:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sifter/2014/09/magic-mushrooms-help-people-quit-smoking

Magic mushrooms help people quit smoking

Just two or three experiences with psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, was enough to get 80% of long-term smokers to kick the habit, according to a new study in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. The most effective antismoking drug on the market right now, varenicline, has a success rate of 35% at 6 months, Bloomberg reports. Don?t rush off to swap your cigarettes for psychedelics quite yet?the psilocybin treatment was paired with a cognitive behavioral therapy program, and researchers are still figuring out exactly why so many participants were finally able to quit.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 12, 2014, 05:16:13 PM
Here is something I found today that might help quitters:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sifter/2014/09/magic-mushrooms-help-people-quit-smoking

Magic mushrooms help people quit smoking

Just two or three experiences with psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, was enough to get 80% of long-term smokers to kick the habit, according to a new study in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. The most effective antismoking drug on the market right now, varenicline, has a success rate of 35% at 6 months, Bloomberg reports. Don?t rush off to swap your cigarettes for psychedelics quite yet?the psilocybin treatment was paired with a cognitive behavioral therapy program, and researchers are still figuring out exactly why so many participants were finally able to quit.

'shrooms' and scrambled eggs......??..wonder how peyote works... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

There is a cow pasture a pleasant walk from my house.  My sweet young computer lived there for a while and enjoyed what the spores and cow poo produced.  I only tried the cow poo produce once, a life time ago, and it was delightful!  If they might help me quit these lovely imported cigars, all the better!

To hell with side effects.  I'm going to send a text to my computer guy. 

GeorgeG

Hope your journey to quit works. I tried it some 50 years ago and a puff was enough for me the same for the other stuff also. I don't drink either so I am pretty boring Liz. Good Luck anyway I hear it's tough to quit.  8)

LizStreithorst

Heck guys, I'm just thinking about quitting.  I never said that I AM quitting,  I'm for sure going to smoke up the lovely Honduran cigars I already have,   I know that they have lesser quality imported cigars walking distance from my shop.  Oh, the temptation for someone who hates to suffer :(

EdKaz

QuoteJust two or three experiences with psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, was enough to get 80% of long-term smokers to kick the habit, according to a new study in the Journal of Psychopharmacology

Did somebody say SHROOMS ??? :o :o :o

To help quit smoking ???

I signed up for one of the less official studies damn near a lifetime ago......despite repeated attempts, it DID'NT WORK to curb ANY urges of smoking.

I dunno........Maybe there's some "new and improved MAGIC" in them things these days.
How does a fella get signed up for one of these official studies nowadays?

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on September 13, 2014, 10:41:29 AM
QuoteJust two or three experiences with psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, was enough to get 80% of long-term smokers to kick the habit, according to a new study in the Journal of Psychopharmacology

Did somebody say SHROOMS ??? :o :o :o

To help quit smoking ???

I signed up for one of the less official studies damn near a lifetime ago......despite repeated attempts, it DID'NT WORK to curb ANY urges of smoking.

I dunno........Maybe there's some "new and improved MAGIC" in them things these days.
How does a fella get signed up for one of these official studies nowadays?

LOL..if you find one, we'll both go.... ;D...."""new and improved MAGIC""...w/shrooms....LOL
Jon

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Update.....

I was sure 'nuf not going to quit while still had lovely imported cigars left that I'd bought and paid for.  I smoked up the last one early yesterday afternoon :'(   But I've done this and this is shows exactly how low addiction can take you...from the moment I considered quitting I strarted saving all my old butts so I could put them in a beer can pipe and smoke them.  Disgusting, but not as disgusting as rummaging thorough the trash to find them.  I did that last time I tried ::) 

Last time I went for a month without smoking.  I thought I was cured because I was no longer suffering, and decided to buy just one, because a good imported cigar is a lovely thing.  I was mistaken.  I was not cured.  I'm more addicted now than I was then!

I know that I can do it.  I just don't know if I want to do it.  It will make for suffering short term, but enjoying the benefits long term.  The choice is not an easy one.

Mugwump

Ah, the old hide the butts trick.....quitting is either you want to...pr you don't....no maybe's....I quit once, I took the two open packs of cigarettes, put a rubber band around them and threw them on top of the 'fridge'.....I knew if I was 'without' I'd go nuts..but walking past them and seeing them sitting up there enabled me to just say..( %^&$###) you...I quit for over 15 years. So why did I start again??????....easy, I quit drinking, and needed a crutch....and so it goes.....
Jon