• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 05:10:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,310
  • Total Topics: 18,529
  • Online today: 218
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 163
Total: 164

Koi Spawn...

Started by Mugwump, December 01, 2012, 08:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

The Koi fry are starting to get some little spikes....about time to move them...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Well, they be moved.... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

At what size will you start selling these, Mug?  I'm asking for a friend who will want some but who hates the internet.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I normally start selling off some at quarter sized bodies....sometimes smaller if the person knows how to care for fry.
Jon

LizStreithorst

This guy knows how.  I will make him come over one afternoon after work and look a the pics of the parents.  He will go bonkers.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Jdmcfast

What size tank do you moved them to at that size? Is that a ten or a 20? With all the young fry I have right now I'm running out of space for small tanks and jars.
Josh

Mugwump

I put them in a 30 long....they're doing fine. With a smaller batch, I'd have used a 20gal...
Jon

Jdmcfast

Damn a 30 long for spike fry. How many fry is there?
Josh

b125killer

There looking good Jon.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on December 22, 2012, 09:35:18 PM
Damn a 30 long for spike fry. How many fry is there?

I really haven't counted...100-200....??...I did a small cull for weaker fry...if I was raising a real delicate spawn and had 50+ fry..they'd be in a 10gal.....It's likely that I'll end up with about a 100 or so to grow out. I'm being very selective with this batch...I'm going to pull another when they spawn again today/tomorrow...
I'll split the present batch up in a week, as I see the growth spurts from them..or maybe just toss em all in a 55, and select from there to put in another 55...???...
Jon

Mugwump

So far they've been in the 30 long about a week...growing very good, check the other vid above,
They're ,also, showing the black that I'm after...doesn't show too well in the clip, but a good bunch are 50% black coverage....makes for some real nice Koi expression.
Jon

b125killer

There looking good. It so hard to get a picture or video of fry. They don't stay still.
Scott

PaulineMi

Very nice.  I see some of the dark ones with the black that you're looking for.  It's interesting watching them develop.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Koi at about week 4...

Jon

PaulineMi

They're looking good....what I can see of them as they're whizzing by.  :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)