• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 03:09:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,300
  • Total Topics: 18,525
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 205
Total: 205

Muddling along with Windows 8

Started by BallAquatics, November 29, 2012, 10:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

I got this evaluation copy of Windows 8 from Microsoft yesterday and thought I give it a spin.  Frankly, it's rather unimpressive.  It does basically all the same things, but in a different way. I'm guessing that's so they can say it's new and improved. 

The truly sad part is, when last I checked,  62% of the systems running Windows, were still running Windows XP.  After stumbling with Windows 2000, it looked like Microsoft was again moving in the right direction with XP, and business and consumers alike embraced it.  Now once again, after Vista and Now Windows 8 it's starting to look bleak.

The support for Windows XP is due to expire in 2015 and I'm starting to wonder where the majority of business users are going to go from there...

Dennis

BillT

That's too bad. I have mostly Macs, but I would certainly like modern windows system that is easy to understand and use. Windows machines are significantly cheaper than Apple products and there is a lot of software on Windows that do not have such good versions on OSX (the Mac operating system).

Several things about the Windows seem hidden to me (possibly because I am not familiar with it) or are difficult to understand why they do it that way (like why does shutdown require multiple clicks). A major component of efficiency involves reducing the number of hand movements, touches, thoughts, or (in this case) clicks.

I guess Linux would be a possibility, but I am not at all familiar with it and I am guessing the software selection is limited.

Its funny to me since under the hood these things seem to be pretty similar.

BallAquatics

I've recently read several articles about how the Mac OS X nowadays is based on Darwin and chunks of existing open source software from a large number of sources like BSD, GNU, Mach, ... and even Linux.  Apparently, it gets more Linux (UNIX) like with each new version.

Quote from: BillT on November 29, 2012, 11:58:53 AM
I guess Linux would be a possibility, but I am not at all familiar with it and I am guessing the software selection is limited.

Honestly, I think there is more software available for Linux than either Windows or Mac.

After years of being a Microsoft supporter, I finally got fed up a couple of years ago and switched over to Linux full time.  I currently run 2 businesses using nothing but Linux and all with FREE software.  It's easy enough to pick up a nice IBM system that's come off lease for around $50 then install free Debian Linux, Open Office, Chrome/FireFox/Opera Browser, Gimp and any manner of accounting software.  A very nice full featured business workstation without spending hundreds of dollars on software.

If you're into IT it gets even better.  As most WEB servers are running Linux, you can set-up a server for test or development for you guessed it $0.00

I will have to admit than I need to run Windows simply to support some of my clients, but even then using VirtualBox, I can run an entire Windows based network on my Linux system.

Dennis

BillT

QuoteAfter years of being a Microsoft supporter, I finally got fed up a couple of years ago and switched over to Linux full time.  I currently run 2 businesses using nothing but Linux and all with FREE software.  It's easy enough to pick up a nice IBM system that's come off lease for around $50 then install free Debian Linux, Open Office, Chrome/FireFox/Opera Browser, Gimp and any manner of accounting software.  A very nice full featured business workstation without spending hundreds of dollars on software.

If you're into IT it gets even better.  As most WEB servers are running Linux, you can set-up a server for test or development for you guessed it $0.00

I will have to admit than I need to run Windows simply to support some of my clients, but even then using VirtualBox, I can run an entire Windows based network on my Linux system.

Sweet, but another thing to learn (Arg!).

Frank The Plumber

I use a Mac.

I use a Mac and have a partition.

I have windows on the partition.

A Mac runs both systems. Windows XP and Mac's snow leopard systems.

A mac is nice because the OS corrects itself by inserting the OS disc. It hunts down junk and just fixes it. The partition is awesome because all you do is go to boot camp and switch from Mac to Windows, you can do everything on the windows side just like a PC.

It's awesome. It's like having two computers.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

BallAquatics

Yes, it was a good thing when Apple switched to Intel processors!  If your drive was split into 3 partitions you could run Snow Leopard, XP and a flavor of Linux!  There are several good boot loaders that will allow you to boot into different operating systems.

Dennis

Mugwump

Ah, win98 was my favorite...you could still get into the 'bowels' of the system.....now I'm running XP and it'll run til it dies....WinDoze has gotten pretty bulky and changed too many of the features to ways that are tediuos to use....I don't like..'click this, we'll take care of it for you'.. OS's...sheesh, too many intangables....who knows, maybe I'll try Ubutu???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mir

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 29, 2012, 10:18:37 AM

The support for Windows XP is due to expire in 2015
Dennis

O_O nooooooooooooooooooooooo
<3 Miranda

Quote from: Mugwumpremember, youre fish can't scream 'what are you doing to me!'